Disciples/Pupils of Chopin

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.
Music Scores: Yes

Disciples/Pupils of Chopin

Post by Paddys »

Would anyone have a pdf of the Nocturne op 8 no 1 by Adolf Gutmann (Adolphe Gutman)?

Perhaps this would be an appropriate thread in which to deposit rare gems by Mikuli, Tellefsen, Filtsch and Pauline Viardot.

Cheers,

P.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Disciples/Pupils of Chopin

Post by fredbucket »

Of these, I suspect Karl Filtsch may be the most interesting, if only becuase of his early death:

From Grove:

Filtsch, Károly [Karl]

(b Szászsebes, Hungary [now Sebeş, Romania], 28 May 1830; d Venice, 11 May 1845). Hungarian pianist and composer of German descent. He was a child prodigy and his piano playing attracted great attention in Kolozsvár (now Cluj-Napoca) in 1835. Filtsch studied initially with his father, a Protestant pastor, and then in 1837 went to Vienna to study with Simon Sechter and August Mittag. On finishing his studies, Filtsch gave concerts in Vienna, Pest and Transylvania in 1841. These caused a sensation. He then left for Paris to study with Chopin and, when Chopin fell ill, with Liszt (1841–3). According to Lenz, Liszt said of him, ‘When that youngster goes travelling, I shall shut up shop’. In Paris he played Chopin’s concerto op.11 with the composer (11 January 1843), and appeared many times in private gatherings; in the same year in London (June–July) he played for Queen Victoria, with exceptional success. On his way home he gave numerous concerts in Vienna (November 1843 – March 1844) but he contracted tuberculosis and did not recover. Of his piano works, the Etude op.8 (dedicated to Ferenc Erkel) was published in Pest, while the Andante et Nocturne (1841) and Premières pensées musicales (1843) were published by Mechetti in Vienna.

I am aware that his op.3 and op.8 have recently (~2006) been edited and published by Ferdinand Gajewski.

Regards
Fred
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Here are some pieces by Filtsch Carl (nms)
Oren
Filtsch Carl-Compozitii.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

By Tellefsen that i didnt find on I mslp
Oren
Tellefsen-Fantaisie op 12.pdf
Tellefsen op05 3 Valse Brillantes.pdf
Tellefsen op16 Feuillets dalbum.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by liveforpiano »

For those interested in Tellefsen, his complete piano works are available on Acte Prealable.
This is a four disc set perfromed by Malgorzata Jaworska.

Peter (liveforpiano).
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.

Post by Paddys »

Paddys wrote:Would anyone have a pdf of the Nocturne op 8 no 1 by Adolf Gutmann (Adolphe Gutman)?

Perhaps this would be an appropriate thread in which to deposit rare gems by Mikuli, Tellefsen, Filtsch and Pauline Viardot.

Cheers,

P.
Look what I found at the Library of Congress site: Gutmann, Deux Nocturnes op. 8. I'm so pleased. I've been listening to the Hubert Rutkowski 'Pupils of Chopin' CD on Naxos. The Nocturne in A-flat major (op. 8. no. 1.) is a lovely piece.

Cheers,

P.
Gutmann - Deux Nocturnes, op 8 nos 1 & 2.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Paddys...thank you for the Gutmann Nocturnes, very pleasant indeed.

Another past student - Ignace Leybach (1817-1891) Alsatian pianist and composer. Studied with Pixis, Kalkbrenner and Chopin. In 1844 became the organist at the Cathedral of Toulouse. He wrote over 225 piano pieces in an "facile and pleasing manner" his 5th nocturne gaining much popularity in its day. He also published an extensive organ method in 3 volumes.

I have posted one of his more substantial pieces - the Op 176 Ruy Blas Fantasy.

Malcolm
Leybach J - Ruy Blas Fantasy.pdf
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

Another piece by Gutmann, nms, tttos.
Gutmann Adolf 7e Nocturne.pdf
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

One more ... again nms, tttos!
Gutmann Adolf Deux mazurkas opus 9.pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Paddys wrote:
Paddys wrote:Would anyone have a pdf of the Nocturne op 8 no 1 by Adolf Gutmann (Adolphe Gutman)?

Cheers,

P.
Look what I found at the Library of Congress site: Gutmann, Deux Nocturnes op. 8. I'm so pleased. I've been listening to the Hubert Rutkowski 'Pupils of Chopin' CD on Naxos. The Nocturne in A-flat major (op. 8. no. 1.) is a lovely piece.

Cheers,

P.
Thank you Paddys. The nocturnes are absolutely lovely and extremely Chopin-like.