The Unknown Composer

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Unknown Composer

Post by Ferruccio »

fredbucket wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:29 am Great work, everyone - but who was Eve/Eva? 😊

Regards
Fred
The big remaining question!
Best regards, Ferruccio
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

Ferruccio wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:34 pm
Georgeham wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:35 pm Dear piano lovers and friends,

the "unkown score" is definitely the first page of Rudolf Ország's 12 variácií na tému Dobrú noc (12 variations on a theme of folk song "Good night"), published by Matica Slovenská in 1944.
Dear Georgeham,
thank you SO MUCH for your good news! I'm so relieved now! :D

Thanks also to everyone who was thinking with me about this subject!! You guys are a great community!
Just to dot, umlaut and acute a few vowels:

Ország is listed in the Czech composer database (which didn't allow me to search without a composer name :evil: ) but not the Slovak one. However his name is actually Hungarian: Ország means "country' as in Magyarország, which is their name for Hungary.

Rudolf Ország (1893-1962) was a composer and music teacher. He was born on March 24, 1893 in Ostrihom (the Slovak name for Esztergom* Hungary), where he attended elementary school. He continued his studies at the gymnasium in Trnava and at the teaching institute in Ostrihom. Music studied with Kersch and Zsolt. He worked as a teacher for two years and in 1913, at the age of 20, he came to Kremnice.

He stayed in Kremnice until the end of his life and worked here as an organist, town bandleader and music teacher. He died on October 5, 1962.
There is a violin competition named for him: Husľová súťaž Rudolfa Országa

*with the famous basilica. I remember seeing this while driving from Hungary to Bratislava in 2007.

My theory is that Hungarian Eva came to the USA with her sisters and became a famous actress. before setting down on a farm with her husband and a pig named Arnold.
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

bingo wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:02 pm
Ferruccio wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:34 pm
Georgeham wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:35 pm Dear piano lovers and friends,

the "unkown score" is definitely the first page of Rudolf Ország's 12 variácií na tému Dobrú noc (12 variations on a theme of folk song "Good night"), published by Matica Slovenská in 1944.
Dear Georgeham,
thank you SO MUCH for your good news! I'm so relieved now! :D

Thanks also to everyone who was thinking with me about this subject!! You guys are a great community!
Just to dot, umlaut and acute a few vowels:

Ország is listed in the Czech composer database (which didn't allow me to search without a composer name :evil: ) but not the Slovak one. However his name is actually Hungarian: Ország means "country' as in Magyarország, which is their name for Hungary.

Rudolf Ország (1893-1962) was a composer and music teacher. He was born on March 24, 1893 in Ostrihom (the Slovak name for Esztergom* Hungary), where he attended elementary school. He continued his studies at the gymnasium in Trnava and at the teaching institute in Ostrihom. Music studied with Kersch and Zsolt. He worked as a teacher for two years and in 1913, at the age of 20, he came to Kremnice.

He stayed in Kremnice until the end of his life and worked here as an organist, town bandleader and music teacher. He died on October 5, 1962.
There is a violin competition named for him: Husľová súťaž Rudolfa Országa

*with the famous basilica. I remember seeing this while driving from Hungary to Bratislava in 2007.

My theory is that Hungarian Eva came to the USA with her sisters and became a famous actress. before setting down on a farm with her husband and a pig named Arnold.
Thank you very much for the information, bingo
Interesting theory btw.
Best regards, Ferruccio
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

I have the piano music score by for Paul Siegel's Autumn Concerto (popular version). I have been trying to get information about it; So far I have not been successful.

If anyone has information about him and his compositions, I would appreciate it if you would share it.

I don't know if this sheet music is already in the public domain or copyrighted; If possible, I will gladly upload it to our site.

In advance, thank you for your interest.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Paul Siegel is not the composer of Autumn Concerto, composed by Camillo Bergoni. Siegel wrote the English lyrics.
https://secondhandsongs.com/artist/122149
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Hi Jean-Séb :

Thank you for your prompt respoonse,the score mention Paul Siegel as composer (so it's an adaptation as Popular version) and there is no mention of Camillo Bergoni.

attached please find the sample of the score (Pp. 1 & 2).

Best regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

You are talking now about a different work.
You were mentionning first the Autumn concerto. I replied for that.
What you show now is not the Autumn concerto but a piece called "Between two worlds". As shown on this copy of the score :
the song is based on a theme of Paul Siegel's Concerto Between two Worlds, which was a previous symphonic work that you can listen to here :

I do not know whether this Paul Siegel -1914-1976) is the same as the lyricist mentioned above.
Here, it is mentioned he was a pupil of Joseph Marx.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

You're right, it was my mistake, I was sorting some scores and got confused.

Thank you very much for the clarification and for the information about Paul Siegel.

Regards.
Quo melius Illac
shalvats

Post by shalvats »

hi

Does anyone know what music is played on the piano?

blast

Post by blast »

shalvats wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:32 pm
Does anyone know what music is played on the piano?
Yes I do know it : Frank Amodio (1877-1947) Valzer di mezzanotte (midnight waltz)