Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphrases

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphrases

Post by mballan »

It is amazing the number of composers that have tapped into the creative genius of the Strauss family to create some wonderous transcriptions and paraphases on those waltz themes. Those by Schutt, Reger, Grunfeld, Friedman and Rosenthal immediately come to mind.

Here are a small selection for starters of lesser known paraphases by Bass (1873-1933) and Toifl (1900-1989).
Toifl H - Voices of Spring.pdf
Toifl H - Blue Danube Waltz.pdf
Bass R - Strauss Paraphrase.pdf
Malcolm [and Mr P]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pianojay

Re: Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphases

Post by pianojay »

thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Thanks for the Bass old chap, I have been looking for that for a while.

After years of playing (attempting) and listening to this genre I have come to the personal conclusion that the Pennario transcription of the Emporer Waltz is the best written and by some margin. It has been on my piano for about 2 years and I still can't play it, but i love every single note.

This could be a superbski thread.

Thal
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Post by ahinton »

No end of musicians (mostly pianists) have made transcriptions of works by the Strauss family. Piano transcriptions feature large among these, although one should not perhaps forget the chamber versions of waltzes by Johann Strauss II made by Schönberg, Berg and Webern. The waltzes of Johann Strauss II feature most prominently among these transcriptons (although there are some of Polkas such as Tritsch-Tratsch by Cziffra). In addition to those already mentioned, there are the Finnissy ones and, perhaps most importantly of all (and I daresay Finnissy himself would probably agree!), the three symphonic metamorphoses on Strauss waltzes by Godowsky (who also wrote a left-hand-alone transcription of the Schatz-walzer from Der Zigeunerbaron, although that seems rather less successful than the three for both hands, which are all unquestionable masterpieces of their genre).

I actually wrote a piano paraphrase combining several of Johann Strauss II's polkas and quite unforgivably entitled it Polkageist, but my realisation that it wasn't good enough led me eventually to use its ms. as practice material the first time I purchased a shredder - a wise decision, methinks.

Best,

Alistair
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Polkageist !!!

Wonderful Alistair ;-)

Riodk
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A few more gems from lesser known composers being creative with Strauss !

Julie Rive-King (1857-1937) Amercian pianist. Primarily recieved instruction from her mother, then studied in New York with William Mason, then Leipzig with Reinecke, and also was a pupil of Liszt. Active career as concert pianist, giving something like 4,000 concerts across the U.S. and retired the year before she died. From 1905-36 was a piano instructor at the Bush Conservatoire in Chicago. Wrote some attractive piano pieces - Impromptu, Polonaise heroique, Bubbling Spring.....and this paraphase on Tales from the Vienna Woods.
Rive-King J - Strauss Tales From The Vienna Woods Paraphrase.pdf
Paolo Gallico (1868-1955) - Pianist & composer. Born in Trieste, died in New York. Studied at the Vienna Conservatoire under Epstein and then concertized across Europe and Russia before settling in New York in 1892 as a concert pianist and teacher. Toured the USA frequently and performed with all the major orchestras and ensembles. Wrote an opera "Harlekin", and oratoria "The Apocalypse" which won an award, an symphonic episode "Euphorion", a sextet, and various piano pieces and songs.
Gallico P - Strauss Walzer Kunstler Leben.pdf
Stephen Kovacs - pianist through 1930-40s, who was a member of the Four Piano Ensemble and wrote a number of transcriptions. But unable to locate any further biographical information at this time.
Kovacs - Strauss Fledermaus.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Another little rarity by Stanislas Niedzielski (1905-1975). Born in Warsaw and studied with Sliwinski and Opienski, before taking lessons from Paderewski in Switzerland. Gave his first concert in London at the age of twenty. Performed all over the world. Had an exstensive repertoire, but was particularly known for his performances of Chopin. He made his home in Paris, where he died in 1975.

I have posted his concert transcription on Blue Danube Waltz.
Niedzielski S - Blue Danube Waltz.pdf
Malcolm & Mr P
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

Thanks Malcolm for the Niedzielski. He made also another transcription (and recording in 1930) of the Thousand and one Night Waltz too, do you have that score?

Here are three by Otto Schulhoff, the most famous one being the Pizzicato Polka. Schulhoff himself recorded bothe the Pizzicato and the Spieluhr, but I find no recordings for the Fledermaus.
J.Strauss-Schulhof - Spieluhr.pdf
J.Strauss-Schulhof - Pizzicato.pdf
J.Strauss-Schulhof - Fledermaus.pdf
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

Here is another one from Rive King. Not my scan.
J.Strauss-Rive-King - Wiener Bonbons Op 307.pdf
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

This one was hard to come by:
Abram Chasins' 2-piano arrangement of Strauss-Schulz Evler Blue Danube. Not my scan.
J.Strauss - Chasins - Schulz-Evler Strauss Donau 2p.pdf