Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphrases

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
naturlaut
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphases

Post by naturlaut »

thalbergmad wrote:Thanks for the Bass old chap, I have been looking for that for a while.

After years of playing (attempting) and listening to this genre I have come to the personal conclusion that the Pennario transcription of the Emporer Waltz is the best written and by some margin. It has been on my piano for about 2 years and I still can't play it, but i love every single note.

Thal
I'll second that. His Midnight on the Cliffs is a terrific piece too - if I can play it.

---

On Bass:

Roderich Bass (1873 - 1933)
Roderich Bass was born in 1873 in Pardubitz (now Pardubice, Czech Republic) and died in Vienna in 1933. A pianist and composer of short, salon piano pieces (mostly published by Bosworth and Eberle), he was a colleague and friend of pianist Walter Rehberg (1900- 1957). Swiss pianist Rehberg received his first piano instruction from his father Willy Rehberg (1863-1937). In Germany he continued his studies with Toch and d’Albert. In his younger years Rehberg performed concert cycles devoted to the history of the piano sonata, or of chromatic piano literature, or of the complete piano works of Brahms. He taught at the Musikhochschule in Stuttgart, and after 1934 at the Music Academy of Zürich and the Music School in Winterthur. After the war Rehberg devoted himself to teaching, composing, editing and writing books with his wife, Paula Rehberg. Bass’s rarely heard “Voice of Spring” – Concert Paraphase on the B major Waltz by Strauss, Op. 410, was recorded by Rehberg in Germany in 1930 on a Bechstein concert grand.
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

Another one, not very frequent in nowadays programs ... NMS
Strauss_J_Mayerl_The_Blue_Danube.pdf
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Question to all Strauss aficionados: what is the Strauss waltz which is used by Rosenthal in the opening measures of Carnaval de Vienne and by Grunfeld in the allegretto capriccioso section 3 pages before the end of the Soireee de Vienne? I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I don't know the name of it.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

It's a theme from Fledermaus (see also Godowsky's Paraphrase)
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Re: Strauss Transcriptions and Paraphrases

Post by Caprotti »

Correction : the theme is from Cagliostro Waltz op.370. Sorry for the mistake, but those themes are often very similar !
Liubingbingpiano
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: No

Post by Liubingbingpiano »

I'm looking for Karol Szreter’s Fledermaus Waltz and Stanislas Niedzielski’s 3 Strauss Waltz arrangements.
Does anyone have?
Thanks.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Liubingbingpiano wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:05 am I'm looking for Karol Szreter’s Fledermaus Waltz and Stanislas Niedzielski’s 3 Strauss Waltz arrangements.
Does anyone have?
Thanks.
Check your private messages - you'll have one from me regarding these transcriptions.

Malcolm