Piano Roll Transcriptions

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Roll Transcriptions

Post by fhimpsl »

Another ragtime gem from Charley Straight which only appeared in piano roll form. "Fastep" is a fast romp, with the first theme loosely based on Irving Berlin's "Everybody's Doin' It Now." That walking bass is quite a number of years ahead of its time.

Frank
Straight - Fastep - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Max Kortlander's contribution to the piano roll industry and music in general (especially ragtime) has been covered already. This one of his original ragtime compositions began life as a player roll in the mid 'teens, unpublished in sheet music form. About 7 or 8 years later the tune was published, but in a somewhat simplified format compared to the original performance. "Deuces Wild" can easily be considered as one of Kortlander's most creative efforts.

Frank
Kortlander - Deuces Wild - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Another unpublished opus by the great Charley Straight. Here he is playing "Out Steppin'", a rag which he recorded for both QRS and Imperial Roll Companies. This is the QRS version (but the two are identical).

Frank
Straight - Out Steppin' - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here Charley Straight plays his own unpublished ragtime composition "Playmor" for QRS player rolls. This is one of my personal favorites; taken at a fox trot rather than one-step tempo, it is just an extremely delightful melody which is fun to play as well. Enjoy!

Frank
Straight - Playmor - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
Tinou

Post by Tinou »

Hi everyone ! If you are interested in piano roll music I once transcribed the following pieces:

By J. Lawrence Cook:
Your feet's too big
Charleston
The preacher and the bear
Honeysuckle Rose
You were meant for me
That's a plenty

By Frank Milne:
Butterflies in the rain (that you can hear here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVXmtckavDQ

And some others by Arden et al. (Crinoline's day, Stage Door Canteen...)

You can find everything on this site:
http://www.therollingfools.comuv.com/Forum/

I created this forum in January to enable piano roll transcribers to share, discuss, and improve each other's works.
Another idea was to make a database of the dozen of interesting public-domain rolls (i.e. pre-1922).
But up until now it has known very little success.

All people interested are welcome !

Oh and a small request to mr. himpsl : do you have any j.l.cook or frank milne transcription ?
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Tinou,

Good to have you as a new member interested in the piano roll transcriptions! Yes, I did a few transcriptions by J.Lawrence Cook (which will be posted soon), but none from Frank Milne. I was concentrating more on the unpublished ragtime and stride performances, etc. But any of your transcripts are very welcome here!

Frank
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

This thread is superb.

I now understand how Howard Carter must have felt when he first gazed upon the treasures in Tutankhamun's tomb.

Thal
Dannen

Post by Dannen »

Welcome, Tinou!

I started this thread with a zip file of 74 transcriptions, including 12 of yours (in a folder labeled "Valentin," one of your many names).

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=441&start=0

For those of you who don't know Tinou, I recommend you join his forum (see below). Tinou has devised an ingenious program called Hindustan, which makes it easier to convert MIDIs to notation.
Tinou wrote:Hi everyone ! If you are interested in piano roll music I once transcribed the following pieces:

By J. Lawrence Cook:
Your feet's too big
Charleston
The preacher and the bear
Honeysuckle Rose
You were meant for me
That's a plenty

By Frank Milne:
Butterflies in the rain (that you can hear here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVXmtckavDQ

And some others by Arden et al. (Crinoline's day, Stage Door Canteen...)

You can find everything on this site:
http://www.therollingfools.comuv.com/Forum/

I created this forum in January to enable piano roll transcribers to share, discuss, and improve each other's works.
Another idea was to make a database of the dozen of interesting public-domain rolls (i.e. pre-1922).
But up until now it has known very little success.

All people interested are welcome !

Oh and a small request to mr. himpsl : do you have any j.l.cook or frank milne transcription ?
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another unpublished ragtime gem by Charley Straight, transcribed from his QRS roll recording. The original key of D major makes it a bit tough to play (but a good etude). I think Straight probably originally played this piece in C Major, but the roll is in D. Maybe if these transcriptions are converted to Encore/Sibelius style notation in the future the piece can be transcribed down a whole step. In the meantime, this is a great rag and a lot of fun to play.

Frank
Straight - Lazy Bones - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Thomas "Fats" Waller - my transcription of his performance of "Haitian Blues" taken from a nickelodeon roll based upon the QRS master roll

Frank
Waller - Haitian Blues- Piano Roll Transcription.pdf