Piano Roll Transcriptions

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Roll Transcriptions

Post by fhimpsl »

Best thing is to examine the recordings themselves and the time periods in which they were made. James P.'s earliest 78rpm recordings of "Carolina Shout" (Okeh records) and "Harlem Strut" (Black Swan records) date from the piano roll period and they end loudly. "Smashing Thirds" was recorded a number of years later. But in the end run jazz is by essence an improvised music, so the artists could end the pieces any way they wished. I think the argument you propose that the piano rolls (popular and blues-song variety) mostly end with a quiet coda has a good deal of merit.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another great rag by Charley Straight which only saw publication as a player piano roll. Not to be confused with the George Botsford rag of the same title, this is "Universal Rag - Fox Trot" as played by the composer, Charley Straight.

Frank
Straight - Universal Rag - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

We've already touched on the great South-Side Chicago jazz pianist Jimmy Blythe. He left behind some of the best jazz recorded in the 1920s on nickelodeon A-rolls. Here is a transcription of one of his player rolls that was issued for the home player market. This performance is full of his personal style, but it's special because the extended ending coda is one of the hottest endings ever in jazz history! Blythe also used this ending on his roll of "Underworld Blues" by George and Hersal Thomas. The song might have a funny title, but it's first rate South-Side playing throughout.

Frank
Blythe - I've Got The Yes! We Have No Bananas Blues - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Henry Lange (1895-1985) was another one of the great composer/pianists of the 1920s. A number of his original compositions were published, such as "Classicana," and "Cho-Piano" amongst others. He enjoyed turning well known classical themes into novelty piano solos. Lange was also a prolific piano roll artist and recorded many 78rpm performances as well. However, one of his very best works (in my opinion) was issued only as a US Music player piano roll and never published in sheet music form. This piece, entitled "Puss In Boots" reminds me very much of a Roy Bargy rag, and it certainly is in that caliber. Interesting to note, Lange went on to use the trio section of this rag as the chorus of his very successful popular song "Hot Lips." So here you have my transcription of "Puss In Boots" by Henry Lange - enjoy playing it, quite a finger workout.

Frank
Lange - Puss In Boots - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another transcription of one of the Zez Confrey QRS piano roll performances, and another with an oriental twist. The song is "The Red Lantern" from 1919, composed by Fred Fisher. You will note that there are some fast passages in thirds for the left hand in several places - these most likely were not originally played in the performance, but added it to it later. I transcribed them for accuracy but one can play through the transcription quite happily without an additional etude in thirds!

Frank
Confrey - Red Lantern - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Max Kortlander was an enormously important figure in the history of the QRS Player Roll Co. Brought to the company to audition by friend Maurice Wetzel in 1915, Max stayed on and ultimately became owner and President. He kept the player business alive during its darkest hours during the 1930s and 1940s when interest in player pianos hit an all-time low because of the popularity of radio. Max was a fine pianist and songwriter (his 1920 hit "Tell Me" was a million seller). In the early days of his career, Max recorded a number of his own original compositions on player rolls. Some were eventually published (in simplified form), but others were'nt. My personal favorite of his unpublished rags is an extremely effective and fun to play piece entitled "Hunting The Ball Rag." It is also a good etude for accurate octave technique. I should note that years later (ca. 1924) this piece was modified and published in a simplified form as "Buck Shots - (Something To Shoot At)" contained within a folio of pieces by Max Kortlander and Pete Wendling, but it pales in comparison. My transcription of the original piece "Hunting The Ball Rag" is attached - I hope everyone enjoys this.

Frank
Kortlander - Hunting The Ball Rag - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

James P. Johnson needs no introduction to fans of great piano music. He is legendary as the "Father Of Stride Piano" and mentor for dozens of great pianists who would follow him. Johnson was a musical giant who composed rags, songs even symphonic works. He started out in the music business playing ragtime piano in Harlem's clubs and dives of the 'teens. Having already built a reputation as a pianist, in 1917 Johnson made his first recordings which were piano rolls for the Aeolian Corporation (Universal and Metro-Art labels). These rolls were all of his original ragtime compositions, and based on their extreme rarity they probably didn't sell well to the player roll market of the day. Johnson went on to record a few rolls for the Standard Music Roll Co. of Orange, NJ next (Perfection and SingA labels) with similar results on sales (again, based on the rarity of the rolls), and then the Bennett & White Company of Newark, NJ (Artempo label). It was not until 1919 when Johnson started recording for the QRS Music Roll Co. that he achieved sufficient public exposure and eventually very high sales. His rolls became extremely popular, and Johnson went on to record 78rpm records and achieve his well deserved fame and recognition.

Johnson's early ragtime rolls fascinate me because in comparing them with his later QRS rolls, they clearly demonstrate the evolution of stride piano. They also give insight into the fine points of his playing style, because several of them apparently escaped over-editing and show what Johnson was really playing, idiosyncrasies and all. Johnson's roll of his original ragtime composition "Innovation" is most likely the best example of this. I have transcribed this piece giving details as to how chords were rolled and other features (see the last page of the transcription for some analytical observations). It's in a difficult key (Johnson was known to play in all the keys) but still fairly easy to play and a pure joy.

Frank
Johnson - Innovation - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is James P. Johnson playing two of his songs from the Broadway show "Runnin' Wild", ca. 1924: "Love Bug" and "Old Fashioned Love." Originally recorded on a QRS music roll, this is prime James P. stride piano playing, the likes of which earned him the title "Father Of Stride Piano." The first of the tunes is a real "sleeper" number that few people seem to have heard before. It's incredibly catchy and the kind of tune that will stay with you awhile after listening. Of course, the other tune "Old Fashioned Love" became one of JPJ's best selling numbers, along with "Charleston," "If I Could Be With You," and many others. This one is really special..enjoy!

Frank
Johnson - Love Bug-Old Fashioned Love Medley - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another great ragtime composition by Charley Straight which was only issued in player roll format and not sheet music. Straight recorded his rag "Mitince" twice; once for the QRS company under the given title, and another time moonlighting for the Wurlitzer Company (RollaArtis label) under the title "Mity-Nice Rag" with a pseudonym artist credit of "Billie King." Straight used a variation of the second strain in his rag "Blue Grass Rag" which was published in sheet music form (but not piano rolls!) This one is a real stomper and a lot of fun to play.

Frank
Straight - Mitinice - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another transcription by one of the Ampico roll giants, Adam Carroll. An especially catchy tune, "Just Like A Butterfly (That's Caught In The Rain)" is a perfect template for Adam Carroll's original arranging flair. The extended interlude section is appropriately lifted from Calixa Lavalee's "Le Papillion", turned around into a novelty piano solo. Enjoy!

Frank
Carroll - Just Like A Butterfly - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf