Piano Roll Transcriptions

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Roll Transcriptions

Post by fhimpsl »

James "Jimmy" Blythe was one of the most talented pianists working in Chicago during the jazz golden age of the 1920s. He made hundreds of player piano roll recordings. Many of these were issued on standard 88note rolls for home use, but far more were released only on ten-tune nickelodeon rolls intended for playing in the speakeasies and gin mills the jazz greats frequented. Blythe also recorded extensively on 78rpm; piano solos, in numerous jazz groups (most notably the "State Street Ramblers", and accompanying blues singers. His tune "Alley Rat" was recorded on Vocalion records as a piano solo, and released on a nickelodeon roll entitled "Alley Rat Stomp." An infectious piece, it sounds good played either fast or slow. Interesting to note, Blythe's live recording for Vocalion 78rpm is taken at a very slow tempo. The roll is almost always played fast! In any event here is my transcription of the nickelodeon roll of Jimmy Blythe's "Alley Rat Stomp." The roll version is practically identical to what Blythe played on Vocalion.

Frank
Blythe - Alley Rat Stomp - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Zez Confrey is best remembered today for his brilliant and innovative novelty piano compositions. However, his real start in the music business came from the QRS Company in Chicago, who hired him on as a staff arranger in 1919. Confrey recorded 125 rolls for QRS over the next 5 years, some of which rank with the most creative arrangements ever put out on that label. He had a particular skill in arranging oriental or arabian-themed popular songs, which were extremely popular in the late teens and early 20s. I always felt his roll of the song "Buddha" from 1919 is one of the best, and here is my transcription of the roll.

Frank :mrgreen:
Confrey - Buddha - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Charley Straight was a pioneer ragtime pianist who made hundreds of piano roll recordings for the QRS and Imperial Player Roll Companies. He was also an important ragtime composer, but many of his rags were published only as piano rolls and never appeared in sheet music form. I've already posted his "Mow 'Em Down" rag in the "School Of Syncopation" thread; now here is another in honor of General Pershing of WWI fame, the "Black Jack Rag."

Frank
Straight - Black Jack Rag - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
Dannen

Post by Dannen »

I understand that some people were unable to open the Luigi Ranalli transcriptions of Les Copeland and Eubie Blake piano rolls. I have reformatted them and posted them here:

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/o8y6qy

In the same zip file, you will find a folder containing Roy Bargy and Charley Straight transcriptions by Pianophiliac Frank Himpsl. These were already posted by Frank in another thread; but at his suggestion, for the sake of having all piano roll transcriptions in this thread, I have included them in the aforesaid zip file.

Within a day or two, I will be sharing some George Gershwin piano roll transcriptions. Again -- since neatness counts -- let me emphasize that transcriptions from electronic recordings should be posted in some other thread. Piano rolls only, please!
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Les C. Copeland was a pioneer ragtimer who composed in the folk ragtime style. Many of his compositions were published, including material for Lew Dockstader's Minstrels and several early broadway shows. However, he recorded even more original ragtime on piano rolls and in many cases these never appeared in sheet music form. Copeland's style is unique and fun to play. Highly rhythmic, melodic, with unusual syncopation patterns that were ahead of their time by some ten years! Here is my transcription of his "Bees And Honey Rag," which ony appeared on piano roll format. Enjoy

Frank
Copeland - Bees And Honey Rag - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here Is another rag by Les C. Copeland that never made it into published sheet music form: "Rocky Mountain Fox." Some very funky effects in this one, which could appropriately be called a ragtime "stomp!"

Frank
Copeland - Rocky Mountain Fox - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

One more fine ragtime effort by Les Copeland which was only published as a player piano roll - his "Race Track Blues." Enjoy!

Frank
Copeland - Race Track Blues - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here in contrast to all the rags, blues and stomps posted is a 1930's high-society styled performance by Adam Carroll. Carroll made hundreds of piano roll recordings in his career, starting with the Republic Music Co. in the late teens, and then moving on to American Piano Control (Ampico rolls) later on. Along with J.Milton Delcamp and Edgar Fairchild, Adam Carroll was one of the few full-time piano roll recording artists at Ampico. Everything he did was first-rate, whether it was ragtime, semi-classical or dance piano. My transcription of his performance of Dana Suesse's lovely 1934 song "You Ought To Be In Pictures" is attached.

Frank :D
Carroll - You Ought To Be In Pictures - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is another fine rag by Charley Straight (one of my favorites actually) which was only issued in piano roll format and never published as sheet music. Let's hear "S'More!"

Frank :mrgreen:
Straight - S'More - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

And yet another wonderful Charley Straight opus - once again released only in piano roll format and not sheet music originally. Enjoy!

Frank
Straight - Try Me - Piano Roll Transcription.pdf