Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by mballan »

I think it is about time I returned to my meanderings through the alphabet on miscellaneous Russian composers. I still have much to post and also hope to include all my previosu Russian material in an archive on PP [but, believe me, it takes much time to re-load all the scores] :D

So starting with the "S" 's - three Ukrainian composers and one Russian [sorry a C not an S]:

Yury Igorevich Shamo. Born 1947, Kiev. Son of Igor Shamo [several works by Igor have been posted by Alfor on PP]. Studied with Shtogarenko at the kiev Conservatoire, and following graduation in 1970 joined the faculty of the Kiev State Institute of Culture. Piano works include two piano concertos, ten sonatas, suites etc.

Since Shamo is very much still alive, I have posted just one work as an example of his music – the 3rd piano sonata.
Shamo Y - Piano Sonata No. 3 (1969).pdf
Andrey Yakovievich Shtogarenko. Born 1902 Novyye Kaidaki: died 1992. Ukrainian teacher and composer. Graduated 1936 from the Kharkov Conservatoire where he had studied with Bogatyyov. Held various administrative and teaching positions including at the Kiev Conservatoire from 1954. Students include Filippenkp, Zagortsev and Yury Shamo. As a composer was influnced by Bartok, Borodin, Tchaikovsky and Mussorgsky and many of his symphonic works are based on Ukrainian national subjects.

I have posted his “Recollections of the Ukrainian Forests”, which was a suite originally for orchestra, transcribed here for piano by Shul’man [previous works by Shtogarenko have been posted before either by Alfor or myself].
Shtogarenko A - Recollections of the Ukrainian Forests.pdf
Nikolay Iosifovich Sil’vansky. Born 1915 Lyubotin, near Kharkov: died 1985. Pianist, teacher and composer. Graduated 1944 from the Moscow Conservatoire where he was a pupil of Flier in piano studies. Also studied composition in Kharkov. Later joined the faculty of the Kharkov Conservatoire in 1947 and then the Kiev Conservatoire from 1954.

Piano works include three sonatas, twenty-four preludes, musical sketches on Gogol’s”Dead Souls”, Fantasia on Borodin’s Polovetsian Dances [prevoius works have been posted by Alfor].

I have posted his Ukrainian Scherzo.
Sil'vansky M - Ukrainian Scherzo.pdf
And finally, Tatyana Alekseyevna Chudova. Born 1944, Moscow. Graduated in 1968 from the Moscow Conservatoire where she studied with Shaproin. Following post-grad work with Khrennikov (1970), she later joined the same faculty.

Again Chudova is very much alive - so I have posted just one work, her Variations.
Chudova T - Variations.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Peter Georgivich Solovkin. Born 1967. Ukrainian composer. I can almost nothing else about this composer nor anything about his works beyond his Piano sonata. This has apparently been recorded in Ukraine on a CD called Avant-Garde Piano Works of the Ukraine - and I am in the process of trying to obtain a copy, as I hope it will supply more information about the composer.

I appreciate Solovkin is more than likely alive - but to raise awareness of his music, and owing to the extreme rarity of this work and the difficulty in obtaining music from the Ukraine, I have decided to post the piano sonata.

Malcolm
Solovkin P - Piano Sonata.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I think this pianist, conductor and composer needs little introduction - Yevgeny Fyodorovich Svetlanov (1928-2002). Graduated 1951 from Gnesin Institute where he studied composition with Gnesin, and piano with Gurvich [a student of Medtner]. Continued his studies with Shaporin in composition, and conducting with Gauk at the Moscow Conservatoire, graduating in 1955. Conducted at the Bolshoi Theatre from 1956 and became its principle conductor from 1962-64. Also directed the USSR State Symphony Orchestra from 1965 and left a vast legacy of recordings of Russian composers ranging from Arensky to Tchaikovsky.

Very good website detailing his life, recordings and a useful list of compostitions at: http://www.svetlanov-evgeny.com

A number of you have been begging me to post these works so I have pulled Svetlanov forward in my exploration of Russian/Soviet composers [S]. Svetlanov scores are very difficult to find although Alfor kindly posted the 3rd piano sonata some months ago. I have posted the Twelve Preludes and Sonatinas Nos. 1,3 & 4. I shall post Sonatinas Nos 2 & 5 in the next few days.

Malcolm
Svetlanov E - Twelve Preludes.pdf
Svetlanov E - Sonatina No. 1.pdf
Svetlanov E - Sonatina No. 3.pdf
Svetlanov E - Sonatina No. 4.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

As promised - the last two Sonatinas by Svetlanov [Nos. 2 & 5].

And, I have pulled together a works list of Yuferov [I'll post this tomorrow]. I currently only have 1 other small work by Yuferov [from Opus 1] but hopefully am in the process of obtaining more works in the next few weeks [fingers crossed].

Malcolm
Svetlanov E - Sonatina No. 5.pdf
Svetlanov E - Sonatina No. 2.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

jre58591 wrote:
mballan wrote:Svetlanov scores are very difficult to find although Alfor kindly posted the 3rd piano sonata some months ago.
I searched for it and was not able to find it. Perhaps it was on the old forum? Could you please repost it? Once again, thank you Malcolm and Alfred for everything.

Alfor's upload of the Svetlanov - Piano Sonata No. 3.

Malcolm
Svetlanov - Piano Sonata No. 3.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

kh0815 wrote:Malcolm, may I turn you attention to viewtopic.php?f=17&t=265#p6642 - do you have more information than http://www.dolmetsch.com/cdefsy.htm: Yuferov (or Youferoff, Juferow), Sergei W. 1865 / Odessa, Ukraine / Ukrainian composer active in 1906 in Switzerland? IMSLP would be grateful, too.
kh0815 wrote:Moderators: According to the overwhelming echo after oren segev's first entry I'd like to propose to rename this thread in "Music for Viola" - and to introduce a new offer/gift from Sibley:

Publication Name: Mélancholie, pour viola (alto) avec accomp. d’orchestre, op. 43, no. 2. Partition d’orchestre.
URL: https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1
Composer:I︠U︡ferov, Sergi︠e︡ĭ (1865 - ) -> Yuferov (or Youferoff, Juferow), Sergei W.

For two piano works and a piano trio of this obscure composer see http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Youferoff,_Serge
As promised - brief bio and fairly complete works list for Sergei Yuferov (1865 - ?). kh0815...curious where you found the reference to the composer in Switzerland ? I am looking to see if I can obtain a few of his works via British Library [I'll probably need to remortgage my house to pay for it] :lol:

Malcolm
Yuferov.pdf
parag
Site Admin

Post by parag »

Youferov's Elegie seems to be around which is Op.1 No.3 of the Six Arabesques according to Malcolm's list. I seem to have No.6 Fileuse from the same set which I am posting here just in case some of you don't have it. There is also a violin and piano arrangement of the Elegie if anyone is interested. All NMS...

Best,
Parag
Youferoff Fileuse Op.1 No.6.pdf
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Youferoff's worklist is not small, and we only have two small works for piano ?

This elegy is one of my first scans, like the fileuse above, that i shared on the net :-)

Riodk
Youferoff_01-3_Elegie.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Returning back to my beloved Russian composers.......and still on "S".......we have Yakov Stepanovich Stepovy [Yakimenko]. Born 1883, Kharkov: died 1921, Kyiv. Ukrainian composer, brother to Akimenko. Studied with Vitol, Liadov and Rimksy-Korsakov at the St Petersburg Conservatoire (1902-1909). Then worked as a music critic, taught at the Kyiv Conservatoire (1917-19) and held various administrative positions from 1919. Between 1909-14 he also travelled around Ukraine collecting folk songs. Was one of the most important activists in the development of music culture in Ukraine - involved in the establishment in Kyiv of the Lysenko Symphony Orchestra, the State String Quartet, and the People’s Conservatoire. Particularly noted for his vocal works especially the songs.

With the exception of the two opus works [my thanks to Rob for those and the Shevchenko prelude], I have posted the majority of Stepovy's non-opus works. I am now in the process of trying to track down the opus works from St Petersburg Conservatoire !!

Malcolm

Op 9 No. 1 Prelude
Stepovy - Op 9 No. 1 Prelude.pdf
Op 14 No.1 Prelude
Stepovy - Op 14 No. 1 Prelude.pdf
Fantasia
Stepovy - Fantasia.pdf
Mriya & Prelude II in E minor
Stepovy - Mriya [Dreams] & Prelude II in E minor.pdf
Prelude in C minor
Stepovy - Prelude in C minor.pdf
Prelude in D minor
Stepovy - Prelude in D minor.pdf
Prelude I in E minor
Stepovy - Prelude I in E minor.pdf
Prelude in Memory of Shevchenko
Stepovy - Prelude in Memory of Shevchenko.pdf
Rondo in B minor
Stepovy - Rondo in B minor.pdf
Rondo in G major
Stepovy - Rondo in G major.pdf
Scherzo
Stepovy - Scherzo.pdf
Sonata in one movement
Stepovy - Sonata [in one movement].pdf
Suite on Ukrainian Folksongs
Stepovy - Suite on Ukrainian Folksongs.pdf
Three Fugues
Stepovy - Three Fugues.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Konstantin Sternberg. Born 1852, St Petersburg: died 1924, Philadelphia. Pianist and composer. Studied at the Leipzig Conservatoire with Moscheles, Hauptmann and Reinecke; later in Berlin with Kullak and during the summer months with Liszt at Rome. He conducted various choral societies in Germany and toured extensively across Russia and Europe (1879-80). In 1880 he made his first tour of the USA where he eventually settled. Became Director of the College of Music at Atlanta from 1885-89, and in 1890 established the Sternberg School of Music in Philadelphia, and remained its director until his death. Wrote over 200 pieces for piano but works also include trios, the Dances Cosaques for violin and Fantasia for cello. He was author of Ethics and Esthetics of Piano-Playing (N.Y 1917) and Tempo Rubarto and Other Essays (N.Y. 1920). Also well respected as an editor of many editions of music published in Europe and USA.

Full works list available through the Information thread [Russian & Soviet Piano Music].

A number of his works have been available through the Library of Congress although they were not particularly well scanned, and I am very grateful to fellow member and friend, Parag for greatly improving the image and scale of these scores. I have also included some further personal scores and some members may like to note the seven etudes de concert.

Sternberg has always been a personal favourite of mine and I would welcome any further contributions.

Malcolm

Part 1:
Photo of composer:
Sternberg K - Photo.pdf
Op 21 Polkette Impromptu
Sternberg K - Op 21 Polkette Impromptu.pdf
Op 22 Al Fresco
3. Impatience
Sternberg K - Op 22 No. 3 Impatience.pdf
4. Mazurka
Sternberg K - Op 22 No. 4 Mazurka.pdf
5. Danse Mauresque
Sternberg K - Op 22 No. 5 Danse Mauresque.pdf
6. Entr’act
Sternberg K - Op 22 No. 6 Entr'act.pdf
9. Barcarolle
Sternberg K - Op 22 No. 9 Barcarolle.pdf
Op 24 Danse andalouse
Sternberg K - Op 24 Danse Andalouse.pdf
Op 25 Valse Reveuse
Sternberg K - Op 25 Valse Réveuse.pdf
Op 27 Four Pieces in Dance Form
1. Blanka Valse
Sternberg K - Op 27 No. 1 Blanka Valse.pdf
3. Valery Valse
Sternberg K - Op 27 No. 3 Valse.pdf
Op 28 Six Poetical Sketches
1. On the Playground
2. On the Swing
3. Grandmother’s Tale
4. The Fable of the Witches
5. Twilight
6. Dancing Lesson
Sternberg K - Op 28 Six Poetical Sketches.pdf
Op 29 Impromptu Valse
Sternberg K - Op 29 Impromptu Valse.pdf
Op 35 “Sketches from Italy” Three Easy Pieces
1. Pifferari
2. Canzonetta del gondoliere
3. Tarantella
Sternberg K - Op 35 Three Sketches from Italy.pdf
Op 68 No. 1 Le Tourbillon
Sternberg K - Op 68 No. 1 Le Tourbillon.pdf