Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Post by mballan »

My penultimate composer.........Yefrem Aleksandrovich Zimbalist. Born 1889, Rostov-on-Don: died 1985, Reno, USA. Violinist, composer and teacher. Attended the St Petersburg Conservatoire from 1901-7, where he studied violin with Auer. Graduated with the Gold Medal and the Anton Rubinstein Prize. He then concertized extensively, making his U.S debut with the Boston Symphony in 1911 with the American premiere of the Glazunov Violin Concerto. Was twice married, first to singer Alam Gluck (1914) and then to Mary Louise Bok (1943), founder of the Curtis Institute. He taught at the Curtis Institute from 1928 and was director from 1941-68. Considered one of the “greatest” violinists of the 20th century.

Zimbalist wrote a number of violin works, this posting is his only known piano work [from what I can discover], the Ten Impressions - a beautiful set which includes three pieces in the style of Chopin, Rachmaninov and Debussy, and a fourth is a fantasy on themes from Sadko by Rimsky-Korsakov. There is also a piano concerto, which both Sibley and LoC hold.

[Note: I'm aware Zimbalist died in 1985 which is very borderline what we usually allow on PP although this work was published in 1951......I have checked with the publisher that this work is no longer in print nor available, nor do they hold any archive copies].

Malcolm
Zimbalist E - Impressions.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

And finally my last composer in my study of lesser known Russian and Soviet composers.......Vasily Andreyevich Zolotaryov. Real name was Kuyumzhi. Born 1872, Taganrog: died 1964, Moscow. Composer and teacher. Studied at the Imperial Court Chapel in St Petersburg with Balakirev and Lyadov; then continued his training with Rimsky-Korsakov at the St Petersburg Conservatoire. He graduated in 1900, winning the Anton Rubinstein Prize. He held several teaching positions including at the Moscow Conservatoire (1909-18); Rostov-on-Don Conservatoire (1920-24); Odesa and Lyiv Music-Dramatic Institutes (1924-26 and 1926-30, respectively); Sverdlovsk Music School (1930-32) and Minsk Conservatoire (1933-41). Amoungst his many students include: Abeliovich, Bogatyryov, Dankevich, Dominchen, Gibalin, Kogan, Kroshner, Lukas, Olovnikov, Podkovyrov, Polovinkin, Svechmikov, Vainberg, Yefimov and Yutsevich. He composed in a traditional style but with some Belorussian and Ukrainian folk elements. He also published Fugue: A Guide to Practical Study (1932) as well as reminiscences of his friends, contemporaries and teachers Balakirev and Rimsky-Korsakov. Alas Rimsky-Korsakov did not think highly of Zolotaryov – who had flunked his composition class – and sometimes described inferior compositions as “gold of Goldov” a pun of the name Zolotaryov [Zoloto meaning gold and Zolotar referring to a sewage disposer]. Zolotaryov’s The Decembrists is an important opera in the early Soviet period.

I have posted three works by the composer - unfortunately my copies are far from perfect and I have tried to clean them up as I scanned, but there were also several faded patches on the scores....but hopefully quite readable.

Op 18 No. 2 Prelude
Zolotarev V - Op 18 No. 2 Prelude.pdf
Op 43 Vier Klavierstucke
Zolotarev V - Op 43 Vier Klavierstucke No. 1 Brandung.pdf
Zolotarev V - Op 43 Vier Klavierstucke No. 2 Elegie.pdf
Zolotarev V - Op 43 Vier Klavierstucke No. 3 Musikdose.pdf
Zolotarev V - Op 43 Vier Klavierstucke No. 4 Etude.pdf
Op 44 Trois Recits
Zolotarev V - Op 44 Trois Recits.pdf
Its taken 18 months to work through the alphabet from Aloiz to Zolotarev, and hope you have found it interesting and informative ? I've posted something like 800 new scores on this thread through that period.....hopefully, not too bad for a newbie to Pianophilia !!

So, what is next you may ask.........well, you will just have to wait and see ? :D

Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

mballan wrote:[...]

Its taken 18 months to work through the alphabet from Aloiz to Zolotarev, and hope you have found it interesting and informative ? I've posted something like 800 new scores on this thread through that period.....hopefully, not too bad for a newbie to Pianophilia !!

So, what is next you may ask.........well, you will just have to wait and see ? :D

Malcolm
Thanks a lot for all the scans (and for running this forum).
In Bach we trust.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Tony:

Khrenicov op28, pc3 -nms-tttos.

Ilu.
Khrennikov op28 Piano Concerto 3 1983 (2pnos).pdf
Quo melius Illac
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Aleksandr A. BALTIN
Concerto-Ballade (2 piano score)
Baltin Concerto-Ballade.pdf
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Alfor - many thanks for the Baltin concerto, this concerto has also been of interest to me for a while.

Tony - yes, I do have the Khrennikov 2nd concerto but has yet to be scanned......I will add it to the pile [personally always my favourite of the 4 piano concertos by him].

NOTE: I've now closed this Part 2 of the Russian & Soviet Composers thread and will eventually transfer to the Archive.....Part 3 just about to begin.

Malcolm