Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by Aggelos »

Wow!!!!! Deka-vc.ru has released 2 new volumes : Vol 16 and Vol 17
http://www.deka-bc.ru/masters.htm

(via google translations)
Masterpieces of the piano transcription. Vol. 16
D. Paperno. Transcriptions for piano. Romances: Glinka How sweet with thee to me to be. Tchaikovsky P. Yesterday night. Rimsky-Korsakov wind, Wei from a height, restless heart beats Taneyev, Rachmaninoff night sad. GLINKA Waltz fantasy.

Masterpieces of the piano transcription. Vol. 17. Most of the works available for performance at a music school. They are - perfect replenishment Golden Library pedagogical repertoire ".
Clara Schumann. Transcriptions for piano and songs of Robert Schumann with the application transcriptions by F. Liszt, P. Pabst.
Introductory article N. Shohirevoy, candidate iskusstvovedniya Romances and songs: Dedication, freedom of spirit, beautiful far side of your face, I'm staying home, The March violet, recognition, hazel, rose, the sea and the sun has, Song Horned owl, no beautiful as the lily of the valley you're beautiful, it perfectly all the world, Intermezzo, spring night.
Schumann - Liszt Dedication, Spring Night
Schumann - Pabst spring night
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by mballan »

NEWS: Following the various new Russian based threads to the Archive section - I have updated my Encyclopaedia of Russian & Soviet Piano Music [Sept 2010] which includes over 300 new biographies, plus additional composers / works.

Malcolm
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Post by mballan »

After my lengthy peirod of archiving - back to the "V"s: Nikolai* Nikolayevich Vilinsky. Born 1888, Golta [now Pervomaysk]: died 1956, Kyiv. Ukrainian teacher and composer. Initially studied law at Odesa University (1912) before undertaking studies in composition with Malishevsky at the Odesa Conservatoire, where he graduated in 1919. From 1920 he taught at the same conservatoire gaining full professorship in 1944. In 1948 became chair of the compositional department at the Kyiv Conservatoire. He was award the Badge of Honour in 1951 and the Order of Lenin in 1953. He was also the editor of the complete works of Lysenko, published in Kyiv from 1950-59. His students include: Bilash, Dankevich, Femelidi and Orfeyev.

* in Ukrainian Nikolai is denoted as Mykola hence some scores show M. Vilinsky rather than N. Vilinsky.

Alfor kindly posted Opus' 1 & 2 some months ago - here are four further piano works by Vilinsky:

Op 4 Ballade in the form of Variations based on an Ukainian Folksong
Vilinsky N - Op 4 Ballade, in the form of variations on an Ukrainian Folksong.pdf
Op 33 Two sets of Variations
Vilinsky N - Op 33 Variations No. 1.pdf
Vilinsky N - Op 33 Variations No. 2.pdf
Dumka [apologies....score was very yellowed, so a little shading]
Vilinsky N - Dumka.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Aleksandr Adolfovich Vinkler [Winkler]. Born 1865, Kharkov: died 1935, Besançon. Pianist and composer. Member of the Belaieff Circle. Graduated in 1887 from the law school of Kharkov University, and in 1889 from the music school of the Kharkov Royal Music Society. Later studied piano in Paris with Duvernoy, and in Vienna with Leschetizky [piano] and Navratil [composition]. From 1890-96, taught piano at Kharkov; and from 1896-1924 joined the faculty of the St Petersburg Conservatoire. Amongst his students included Prokofiev and Swan. Immigrated to France in 1924 and the following year became a professor and director of the Besançon Conservatoire. Wrote several interesting chamber works that display a polished compositional technique. Best remembered for his many piano solo and piano / 4 hands arrangements and transcriptions of orchestral works by fellow Russian composers, including Glinka, Scriabin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glazunov etc.

His Op 12 Variations & Fugue on a theme by J S Bach for Two Pianos is available through IMSLP, and is probably his best known work. I have posted two futher works for piano solo:

Op 15 Trois Morceaux
Vinkler A - Op 15 Trois Morceaux.pdf
Op 23 Au Cimetiere, Passacaglia
Vinkler A - Op 23 Au Cimetiere, Passacaglia.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Nikolai von Wilm. Born 1834, Riga: died 1911 Wiesbaden. Composer, pianist and conductor. From 1851-56, he studied at the Leipzig Conservatoire, then returned to Riga in 1857 where he was an assistant conductor at the municipal theatre. In 1860 he settled in St Petersburg and, with the recommendation of Henselt, taught piano and theory at the Imperial Nikolayevsky Institute. He returned to Germnay in 1875, living and working mainly in the Dresden and Wiesbaden area. He composed over 250 works including a number of chamber works, songs, motets and many piano pieces.

I have posted two new works and some of the previous Wilm postings for newer members [and my special thanks to those original scanners]. I have a number of further Wim scores and will aim to post these in the next reincarnation of this thread.

Malcolm

Op 31 Völker und Zeiten im Spiegel ihrer Tänze - Piano solo [there is also a piano / 4 hands version as well]
Wilm - Op 31 Völker und Zeiten im Spiegel ihrer Tänze - Piano solo.pdf
Op 62 Praeludium und Sarabande for Two Pianos
Wilm - Op 62 Praeludium und Sarabande for Two Pianos.pdf
Op 68 Fantasie in F minor
Wilm - Op 68 Fantasie f-moll.pdf
Op 69 Zwei Rondos No. 2 in Eb major
Wilm N von - Op 69 Zwei Rondos No. 2 in Eb major.pdf
Op 93 Walzersuite No. 3 - Piano / 4 hands
Wilm op.93 Walzersuite Nr.3 [P 4H].pdf
Op 130 Schweizer Suite - Piano / 4 hands
Wilm - Op 130 Schweizer Suite [P 4H].pdf
Op 146 Acht Clavierstucke No. 1 Ankunft
Wilm N von - Op 146 Acht Claviersrucke No. 1 Ankunft.pdf
Op 169 Sechs Frohe Botschaft
Wilm - Op 196 Sechs Frohe Botschaft.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

And the last of the "V"s.......Baron Vasily Georgiyevich Vrangel [Wrangel]. Born 1862, St Petresburg: died 1901, same. Studied in Paris and at the St Petersburg Conservatoire from 1885-90, where his teachers included Iogansen. In 1892, he helped with Glazunov to found the Society for Musical Meetings. From 1898-99, he also edited the journal Nuvellist, which promoted the music of contemporary Russian composers. He is best remembered for his romances, which were once quite fashionable with Russian singers.

I only have one specific work by Vrangel - his Op 1 [although I'm missing No. 2]. Vrangel did not write much for the piano although these are charming miniatures. There is also a Fantasie for Piano & Orchestra [one to watch out for Thal].

Malcolm

Op 1 Six Morceaux
1. Piece & Fugue
Vrangel V - Op 1 No. 1 Piece et Fugue.pdf
2. Chanson Naive....missing

3. Arabesque
Vrangel V - Op 1 No. 3 Arabesque.pdf
4. Romance
Vrangel V - Op 1 No. 4 Romance.pdf
5. Berceuse
Vrangel V - Op 1 No. 5 Berceuse.pdf
6. Petite Valse
Vrangel V - Op 1 No. 6 Petite Valse.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Hi Riodk....I did include this etude on page 11 of this thread before I later posted the other works. I have an original copy of this score which is what first drew me towards Tereshchenko. An interesting composer, just wish I could find more on him as both a person and a composer.

And next in my meanders.....a composer that was discussed some weeks ago. I had planned to obtain more of his works but the potential cost mean I must look at obtaining copies another day [unless I get inundated with donations] :D

Sergey Vladimirovich Yuferov - born 1865, Odessa. Date and place of death unknown. Studied with Glazunov and Klenov in St Petersburg, followed by further studies with Hubert and Laroch in Moscow. Composed the opera "Myrrha" (1892), but it was not a success, this was followed by the opera "Iolande" in 1893 which was produced in St. Petersburg. Yuferov was very keen to promote himself as an opera composer but even his final opera “Antony & Cleopatra” remained unsuccessful and disappeared into oblivion.

The following two pieces have been posted in various guises before - although these are my own fresh scans from the two scores. They are from Yuferov's opus 1 Six Arabesques:
No. 3 Elegie
Yuferov S - Op 1 No. 3 Elegie.pdf
No. 6 Fileuse.
Yuferov S - Op 1 No. 6 Fileuse.pdf
Maybe when I rekindle this thread as Part 3, I may have more Yuferov scores to engage you ?

Malcolm
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I do have two further works for a composer under the "Y"s but waiting for permission from the composer as she is still very much alive [unfortunately most of her works are not available in the West]. And so finally into the "Z"s - and starting with Vladislav Ivanovich Zaremba. Born 1833, Dunayevtsy [now Khmelnitsk district]: died 1902, Kiyv. Pianist, composer and teacher. Father to Sigizmund, both to Nikolai Zaremba. Studied with Kocipiński in Kamenets-Podolsky, and then at the Lyiv Institute, where he later in 1862, returned to teach piano and voice. Best remembered for his songs and romances.

Zaremba only wrote a few works for piano - all now considered rarities. I have posted his Ukrainian Dumka and Elegy, both written circa 1896 and displaying a richness for Ukrainian folksong.

Malcolm

Ukrainian Dumka
Zaremba V - Ukrainian Dumka.pdf
Elegy "At the Cemetary"
Zaremba V - Elegie 'At the Cemetery'.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Mikhail Adamovich Zavadski. Born 1827, Mikhalkovtsy, Khmelnitsk: died 1887, same. Ukrainian Pianist and composer. Wrote an opera “Mariya” in 1886 [of which only fragments survive], and over 500 piano pieces and romances including 30 Dumkas and 24 Shumkas, plus transcriptions of Ukrainian and Polish songs.

I have posted four works by Zavadsky and have another 12 Shumkas pending for another time [large Jurgenson score that needs some delicate handling].

Malcolm

Op 24 Shumka No. 1
Zavadzki M - Op 24 Schoumka Ukrainienne de Concert No. 1.pdf
Op 31 Shumka No. 2
Zavadzki M - Op 31 Schoumka Ukrainienne de Concert No. 2.pdf
Op 52 Shumka No. 3
Zavadzki M - Op 52 Schoumka Ukrainienne de Concert No. 3.pdf
Op 300 Shumka No. 11
Zavadzki M - Op 300 Schoumka Ukrainienne de Concert No. 11.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

lutoslawski wrote:Who has Murad Kazhlayev 3 preludes?
There is a recording of these particular preludes played by lazar berman

Tony
Tony

Yes, I did have Russian lessons but gained much experience from just translating Russian music books when buiding my "book".

The Kazhlayev played by Berman is from the Six Preludes which Alfor posted many months ago - copy attached for you.

Malcolm
Kazhlayev - Six Preludes.pdf