Bortnyansky - Soanata in F major Op 1
Bortnyansky - Rondo form Sonata in C major
Gurilev - Three Preludes
Gurilev - Russian Dance
Zhilin - Three Waltzes
Gurilev - Polka-Mazurka
Friboedov - Two Waltzes
Genishta - Sonata Op 1

Think we posted some of these back on old PP when we had a couple of these albums of 18th/19th early romantic works [and will be in the archive when I've finished re-posting on my Russian/Soviet thread].

Malcolm
Scharwenka790
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by Scharwenka790 »

I recently picked up a few 20th century Russian scores, here are a couple which I don't think have been posted before
Eiges op.6 Drei Klavierstucke.pdf
Riasanov op.5 Suite.pdf
To aid searches, Riasanov may also be spelt Ryasanov.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Nikolai Nikolayevich Tcherepnin (Tcherepnine, Cherepnin) Born 1873, St Petersburg: died 1945 Issy-les-Moulineaux, near Paris. Russian composer, teacher and conductor. Father of Alexander and grandfather to Ivan and Serge Tcherepnin. He began his career as a pianist and gave concerts in provincial towns at an early age. From 1895-98 he studied composition with Rimsky-Korsakov at the St Petersburg Conservatoire – and in 1905 was appointed to its faculty. Before World War I he was also active as a conductor and supervised the Paris production of Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Golden Cockerel” in 1908. The following year he conducted the opening season of Diaghilev’s Ballet Russe, and his own ballet “Pavillon d’Armide” was a considered success in Paris. After touring with the Ballet Russe he returned to Russia in 1912. The revolution / civil war in 1918 forced him and his family to flee to Tbilisi, where until 1921 he directed the local conservatoire and conducted operatic productions in the Caucasus. In 1921 he took his family to Paris where Anna Pavlova commissioned his ballets “L’oiseau enchanté” and “Romance of the Mummy”. He also served as director of the Russian Conservatoire in Paris from 1925-29 and 1938-45. In 1932 he appeared as guest conductor of the Boston Symphony. He was a noted teacher and his pupils include Balanchivadze, Chernetsky, Dranishnikov, Hamburg, Gauk, Kankarovich, Kreek, Obukhov, Paliashvili, Prokofiev, Saminsky, Shaporin, Shaposhnikov, V Shcherbatchev, Tsybin and Zakaryan.

Piano works inlcude:

Op 4 “Princess Lointaine” [Rostand] Orchestral Prelude - arr. for Piano / 4 Hands [Winkler](Belaieff 1899)

Op 12 Scene dans la caverne des sorcieres de la tragedie “Macbeth” pour grand orchestra - arr. for Piano / 4 Hands [Petrov] (Belaieff 1901)

Op 17 Six Preludes (Jurgenson 1900) [I’ve posted Nos 3, 5 & 6] #
1. G minor 2. G major 3. E minor 4. B minor 5. Db major 6. C# minor
Tcherepnine N - Op 17 No. 3 Prelude in E minor.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 17 No. 5 Prelude in Db major.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 17 No. 6 Prelude in C# minor.pdf
Op 17 bis “From Land to Land” or “Fate”: Fantaisie Dramatique for Orchestra (1903) - arr. for Piano / 4 Hands (Belaieff)

Op 18 Cinq Morceaux (Jugenson) [I’ve posted Nos 1, 2, 4 & 5…strangely have never found a copy of No. 3 prelude]1. Melodie in G minor “Nostalgie” 2. Improvisation 3. Prelude 4. Humoresque 5. Modo religioso
Tcherepnine N - Op 18 No. 1 Melodie 'Nostalgie'.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 18 No. 2 Improvisation.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 18 No. 4 Humoresque.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 18 No. 5 Modo Religioso.pdf
Op 24 Trois Morceaux (Jurgenson) 1. Reverie 2. Etude 3. Idylle
Tcherepnine N - Op 24 No. 1 Reverie.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 24 No. 2 Etude in C minor.pdf
Tcherepnine N - Op 24 No. 3 Idylle.pdf
Op 29 Orchestral Suite from the ballet “Le Pavillon d’Armide” (Belaieff 1908) arr. for Piano / 4 hands [Sternberg] [availble through Sibley] & Piano Solo

Op 30 Piano Concerto in C# minor (Jurgenson 1908) –arr. Two Pianos [available through IMSLP]

Op 38 Alphabet in Pictures: Fourteen Esquisses (Belaieff 1931)
Tcherepnine N - Op 38 14 Esquisses.pdf
Op 41 “The Fisherman & the Fish” - Six Musical Pictures ( Mussektor 1907)
Tcherepnine N - Op. 41 Vom Fischer und dem Fische.pdf
Op 42 Le Masque de la Mort Rouge – Ballet in 1 Act arr. Piano solo (Jurgenson) [availble through Sibley]

Op 55 L’Oiseau Enchanté – Ballet arr. Piano / 4 hands [J Philipp]

Op 58 Morceaux - Piano

Primitifs – Twelve Adaptations of Ancient Russian Melodies (1926)

“Tati Tati” Variations on “Chopsticks” by Borodin, Cui, Liadov, Rimsky-Korsakov etc. arr. for Piano & Orchestra (1937)

Quatre Morceaux in C major (1950)
Tcherepnine N - Four Pieces in C.pdf
Dix Pieces Gaies (Chesters)
Tcherepnine N - Dix Pieces Gaies.pdf
Dix Pieces Sentimentales [available through IMSLP]

Pieces de Bonne Humeur (1935) 1. Automate 2. Valse simple 3. Exercise 4. Movement lyrique

Douze pièce simples d’interprétation pour les commençants (Heugel)

“Narcissis” Ballet (Jurgenson) arr. Piano solo #

I suspect further Tcherepnine works may appear as Sibley scan through their collection [I’ve annoted # against those works held by the library]. Also for those interested - the British record label Toccata has a volume of Tcherepnine piano works due for release shortly [includes Op 24, 38 & 41].

Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Thanks for the Nikolai Tcherepnin Malc. A very fine composer of some some truly ravishingly beautiful music.

My personal favourite is the lovely little overture to his 1929 opera 'Svat' - just 5 minutes or so, and yet stunningly original and quite unique. A real gem.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

rob wrote:Thanks for the Nikolai Tcherepnin Malc. A very fine composer of some some truly ravishingly beautiful music.

My personal favourite is the lovely little overture to his 1929 opera 'Svat' - just 5 minutes or so, and yet stunningly original and quite unique. A real gem.
Thank you Rob...........I totally agree with you. I feel the piano music is slightly less successful although there are some rare gems amougst those works, but Tcherepnine definitely excels in orchestral music and wrote some exquisite scores. Either as tone poems [La Princess Lointaine and Le Royaume enchante being fine examples], or the gorgeous ballet music from Le pavillon d'Armide for a 19th century style ballet, to those that inhabit a more modern, impressionistic vein like Narcisse et Echo, Le Destin or Le Masque de la Mort Rouge. Or pearls like the "Svat" overture you mentioned. The extinct label Olympia did have about 3 or 4 Cds of Nikolai's music and I can only hope they get re-packaged and re-released at some stage by other label.

Malcolm
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Good news – Sibley will scan the whole of Nikolai Tcherepnine 'Le Masque de la Mort Rouge' and post through their site in the next few weeks [just a bummer I had already scanned 90 odd pages] !!

Those who have been following my Russian / Soviet thread will have discovered that occassionally I have posted works by a composer where I can find absolutely nothing about the person – no dates or biographical detail. Strangely the majority of them seemed to have been published by Zimmermann, but for nearly all of them there is no information available through any of my usual English or Russian sources.

Nikolai Semenovich Tereshchenko (Terestchenko) is one such composer. I can find nothing about him although I did come across a N S T who was born 1871 in Moscow [which I would speculate is about right] but no details of dates of death, nor any information on his life. Most of his music appears to have been published between 1900-1910.

His Op 12 Etude Romantique, I believe, has been posted previous on Pianophilia but included here as an example of his work. Thankfully Sibley do hold a number of his scores and I have spoken with them to ask for them to be scanned and available to everyone soon.
Terestchenko N - Op 12 Etude Romantique.pdf
A works list for Terestchenko is included in my book in the Information section.

If any member discovers any additional information on this composer I would be extremely interested if they would kindly share with me.

In a similar light Alexander Tiniakov also remains a mystery figure. Again no dates or biographical information. I am only aware of eight opus works - the majority for piano, and Op 8 is a Suite for orchestra.

Thankfully most of his piano works are held by Sibley, and again I have asked for them to be scanned asap – so keep an eye on their website.

But for starters – three of his works:

Op1 Two Songs without Words
Tiniakow - Zwei Lieder Ohne Worte Op.1 (best).pdf
Op 2 Valse melancolique [nms...I think]
Tiniakov - Op 2 Valse Melancolique.pdf
Op 6 Deux Etudes de salon [nms]
Tiniakov - Op 6 Deux Etudes de Salon No. 1.pdf
Tiniakov - Op 6 Deux Etudes de Salon No. 2.pdf
Op 1 was taken from microfilm and was in a terrible state – so my gratitude to Parag for creating this more presentable copy.

Op 2 & 6 – my thanks to the original scanners [although there is an odd mystery to Op 2…..my copy is a photocopy from the Zimmermann original held by a friend, who had never used a computer nor ever scanned any of his music - yet the scanned copy is identical to my old photocopy and was posted long before I joined PP. Very puzzling. The same also goes for the Tereshchenko etude, which again is from the same source and my copy is absolutely identical to that posted on PP long before I joined]. Very strange.

And finally ………..Volodymyr Vladimirovich Tyulik [Tylik]. Born 1938, Dnipropetrovsk. Ukrainian composer. Music editor and teacher. After completing at the Dnipropetrovsk Music School, he continued to study composition with Revutsky and Shtogarenko at the Kyiv Conservatoire, from where he graduated in 1962. Until 1985 worked as music editor in Ukrainian Radio, magazines Muzyka and Mystetstvo, and in the publishing house Muzychna Ukraina. He was an instructor at the Kyiv Conservatoire and music school. Laureate of the Ostrovsky Prize in 1974.

I have posted his Piano Sonata No. 1 from 1965 [and yes he is still alive, and yes it is still in copyright and yes, I got permission from Ukraine].
Tyulik V - Piano Sonata No. 1.pdf
Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Malc, thanks for your recent postings of unknowns including Tiniakov. I find with great surprise this beautiful - Op 6 Deux Etudes de Salon No. 1 which you just posted and full of wonderful effective figurations--a real gem.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Fleubis....thank you for your kind comments. Many of these minor composers will never be seen as great musical innovators but their music is often very engaging and at times quite exquisite.

Earlier I covered the elusive Nicolai Tereshchenko [Terestchenko].......a composer that has, for some unfathomable reason, always been of particular interest to me. The following works are from the Sibley library and my grateful thanks to Parag for making the scores far more presentable. These will appear on Sibley website at some stage.......but a Pianophilia exclusive.

Malcolm

Op 2 Idyll
Terestchenko - Op 2 Idyll.pdf
Op 3 "Sur l'eau" Barcarole
Terestchenko - Op 3 Sur l'eau Barcarole.pdf
Op 8 Six Morceaux
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 1 Prelude.pdf
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 2 Album Leaf.pdf
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 3 Humoresque.pdf
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 4 Fugue.pdf
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 5 Melodie.pdf
Terestchenko - Op 8 Six Morceaux No. 6 Scherzo.pdf
Op 13 Quasi Improvisato
Terestchenko - Op 13 Quasi Improvisato.pdf
Op 15 Im Balladen Tod
Terestchenko - Op 15 Im Balladen Ton.pdf
Op 17 Berceuse
Terestchenko - Op 17 Berceuse.pdf
Op 19 A la Russe
Terestchenko - Op 19 A la russe.pdf
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

Thank you Malcolm !
Best regards, Ferruccio
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you Malcolm, but between you and Sibley, we are kept busy downloadind and have no time left to play!
Jean-Séb