Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc) - Part 2

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers (Misc)

Post by mballan »

Gotfrid Aliyevich Gasanov. Born 1900, Derbent: died 1965, Moscow. Pianist and composer. Graduated in 1926 from the Leningrad Conservatoire, studying with Kalafati. Taught, concertized and undertook ethnographical research. Was the first professional Dagastan composer and wrote the first Dagestan opera, ballet and muscial comedy.

I have not included a works list - as with all Russian composers they can be viewed in the Information section [Dictionary of Russian & Soviet Piano Music].

I know Alfred has recently posted an album with Gasanov's Fantasia…….here I've uploaded the Seven Lyrical pieces on Dagestan folk themes.

Malcolm
Gasanov - Seven Lyrical Pieces based on Dagestan Folk Themes.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

...And Gasanov's Concert Etude 2 :

Ilu.
Gasanov_Concert Etude No. 2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Fleubis,

You are very welcome, and I am glad you enjoyed the Juon pieces!

Here attached is my last Juon score, Op. 55 Dix Esquisses - I hope everyone enjoys these also.

All best,

Frank :D
Juon - Dix Esquisses Op. 55 (1-5).pdf
Juon - Dix Esquisses Op. 55 (6-10).pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Some information from Wikipedia (what an amazing resource) regarding Shura Cherkassky:

""Alexander Isaakovich Cherkassky (Shura is a diminutive form of Alexander) was born in Odessa, Russia (now in Ukraine) in 1909. Cherkassky's family fled to the United States to escape the Russian Revolution.

Cherkassky's first music lessons were from his mother, Lydia Cherkassky, who once played for Tchaikovsky in St. Petersburg. She also taught the pianist Raymond Lewenthal. In the United States, Cherkassky continued his piano studies at the Curtis Institute of Music under Josef Hofmann. Before studying with Hofmann, however, Cherkassky auditioned for Sergei Rachmaninoff, who advised him to give up performing for at least two years and to change the position of his hands at the keyboard. Conversely, Hofmann suggested Cherkassky should continue giving concerts, and this long association with public performance meant that Cherkassky felt comfortable before an audience. Hofmann also recommended that he practice for four hours every day and Cherkassky did this religiously throughout his life, maintaining an extensive repertoire (baroque to Berio) to an exacting standard. His studies and advisory sessions with Hofmann continued until 1935. In the interim he began his lifelong obsession with world travel with trips to Australia, New Zealand, the Far East, Russia and Europe. Cherkassky performed actively until the end of his life, and many of his best recordings were made under live concert recital conditions. He is speculated to be the pianist whose recording is featured in the Academy Award-winning cartoon The Cat Concerto.""

Attached is an interesting work apparently composed by Cherkassky at the age of 11 (as per the sheet music cover) - his "Prelude Pathetique" from 1923.

Frank
Cherkassky - Prelude Pathetique.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I thought either Alfor or myself had uplaoded some Kapp in the past...but unable to locate at this moment.......so.....Eugen Kapp. Born 1908, Astrakhan: died, 1996, Tallin. Estonian composer. Son of Artur Kapp. Studied originally with his father at the Tallin Conservatoire (1928-31), then taught at the same institution from 1935, becoming rector between 1952-64. Was also the Chairman of the Estonia Union of Composers from 1948-65. His compositions are in an accessible style influenced in part by his father, as well as Eller, Saar and Scriabin.

I have posted his Pictures of Tallin – 10 Pieces. Titles of each piece:
1. Kadriorg Park in Spring
2. Pioneer's March
3. "Rusalka" [Memorial to all the Russian sailors who have perished at sea]
4. Stream through Wolf's gorge
5. Relay Race
6. Linda's Stone
7. New Market
8. Evening by the sea
9. Tower "High German"
10. Song Festival

- I struggled with a couple of the translations – my thanks to Relative for helping me.

Malcolm
Kapp E - Pictures of Tallin.pdf
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Kapp - Sonatina.

Riodk
Kapp_Sonatina.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Mikhail Rafailovich Raukhverger. Born 1901,Odessa: died 1989, Moscow. Graduated as a pianist from the Moscow Conservatoire, where he was a pupil of Blumenfeld. He joined the same faculty form 1927 and chaired its piano department from 1939 - 41. He is well known for his music for children.

Song and March are taken from his Six Lyrical Pieces (published 1935).

Malcolm
Raukhverter M - Song & March.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Yelena Fabianovna Gnesina. Born 1874, Rostov-on-Don: died 1967, Moscow. Pianist, pedagogue and composer, Sister of Gnesin. Following study with Langer, Busoni and Schloezer, became a pupil of Safonov at the Moscow Conservatoire, graduating in 1893. In 1895 founded, along with her sisters Yevgenbiya and Mariya [both were piano teachers] a music school that in 1944 became the Gnesin Institute. Among her students included Babadzhanyan, Kats, Khatchaturian, Knipper, Mil’man, Morozov, Oborin, Ruch’yov and Shensin.

Most of her works were teaching pieces and I have posted her work “Picture-Play” Seventeen Pieces (1943) – title of each piece:
1. Morning at the pioneer’s camp
2. Out for a stroll
3. Russian Dance
4. Jumping
5. Limping from the Horse race
6. Skipping
7. Old Fashion Dance
8. Two Cry-babies
9. The Sun appears
10. Fairytale
11. Beating with a drumstick
12. Story of Old
13. Spinning Top
14. Merry Chatter
15. Song of the brook
16. Returning from a walk
17. From Camp, to Home

Unfortunately the pages had yellowed considerably - so apologies for the odd bit of shading on the scan.

Malcolm
Gnesina E - Picture-Play.pdf
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

I have this album (nms).

Riodk
Gnesina_Album of easy pieces.pdf
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Gnessina - Miniatures (nms)
Oren
Gnessina - Miniatures.pdf