Composers from Germany [Misc]

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by WalterNiemann » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you very much, Paul!

musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:08 am
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: U.S.

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by musiclife217 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:10 am

kroket wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:03 pm
musiclife217 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:28 am
does anyone know where the Sarabande in F Major by Handel comes from? It was famously included in the beginning of the collection 'Masterpieces of Piano Music.' Is it a keyboard work or a transcription of another instrumental work? Does it have an HWV number?

edit: attached is the music in question

handel.jpg
I didn't notice your post until now, and maybe a reply is still useful to you.
It is the Sarabande from the Concert for Oboe and orchestra, HWV 287.
So indeed it is a transcription.
On IMSLP there are other arrangements, but not for piano solo.
Greetings,
kroket
I greatly appreciate this. I would not have found this on my own! I guess the transcription from the Masterpieces of Piano Music can finally be cross-referenced there. Thank you again!

WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by WalterNiemann » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello dear Pianophilians!

I had another request: Mosaik, Heptameron and his Sonatinas by Sigfrid Karg-Elert. As far as I know these are the pieces I do not have in my collection. Btw Karg-Elert's music is so fascinating, very intellectual, mysterious, grotesque, and complex. There are so many details in his piano sonatas and larger-scale pieces and there is so much to learn from him.

Many thanks in advance!

Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by Jean-Séb » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:22 am

I can't help except for these excerpts from Mosaik (NMS)
Karg-Elert op.146 Mosaik Nr.19,20,21,28,29 aus 29 Stücken.pdf
Did you check the sonatinas already available in IMSLP ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by WalterNiemann » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 am

Thank you very much, Jean-Séb!

On IMSLP only the first sonatina is available but luckily I found them already uploaded here on PP. Seems that I may do some research on these pieces on my own. As far as I know the state archive of saxony has some letters and autographs of Karg-Elert including Heptameron, his Piano Trio, several organ works and piano pieces as well as a sonata and Sonate-Fantasie (for piano?). Hopefully I'll get some information about these manuscripts!

Also, regarding Walter Niemann: I try to find information about his Reisebilder, Op.10 No.3. Heinrichshofen published these works and maybe they know something about this piece. My OCDs can't accept that there is a lack in a multiple-movement work... Unfortunately when I asked them for permission to get copies of his Scherzo the CEO told me that they had not a copy in their archives. So we only can hope the best...

User avatar
FW190
Pianophiliac
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by FW190 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm

If I remember correctly, there was speculation that opus 10 No. 3 was reprinted in the NMZ under the name Melodie.
Niemann,W.-.Melodie-(pno-NMZ-1908).pdf
But I've seen no evidence to support those assumptions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.

Pianoman
Pianophiliac
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 7:55 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Portugal

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by Pianoman » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to find Händel's "Gigue" in g minor, HWV493. I believe it has 2 versions, but I don't know anything about that.

Many thanks.

WalterNiemann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by WalterNiemann » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:44 am

FW190 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm
If I remember correctly, there was speculation that opus 10 No. 3 was reprinted in the NMZ under the name Melodie.Niemann,W.-.Melodie-(pno-NMZ-1908).pdf
But I've seen no evidence to support those assumptions.
Thank you, FW190! Indeed the Melodie can't be Op.10 No.3 since it is part of his Suite, Op.23! I'll correct that on IMSLP.

kroket
Pianophiliac
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:51 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Netherlands

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by kroket » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Pianoman wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am
Hi all,

I'm trying to find Händel's "Gigue" in g minor, HWV493. I believe it has 2 versions, but I don't know anything about that.

Many thanks.
HWV 493 are two early versions of the Gigue in the Suite for harpsichord HWV 439, that is on IMSLP.
Here are scans of these three versions and a free arrangement in a minor by Alfred Kleinpaul.

Speaking of Händel: I can recommend to all the Händel variations by Martin Stadtfeld.
Besides a cd with some wonderful transcriptions, the sheet music album is available on Schott Music:
https://en.schott-music.com/shop/shopse ... =stadtfeld
My favorite: Se pieta de mi non senti from Giulio Cesare,
but from the same opera there's also Piangero la sorte mia.
Also available on Schott Music as a separate download.

Greetings,
kroket
Handel arr. A. Kleinpaul Gigue HWV 439.pdf
Handel Gigue HWV 493 (2 versions).pdf
Handel Gigue from Suite HWV 439.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pianoman
Pianophiliac
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 7:55 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Portugal

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by Pianoman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 pm

kroket wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm
Pianoman wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am
Hi all,

I'm trying to find Händel's "Gigue" in g minor, HWV493. I believe it has 2 versions, but I don't know anything about that.

Many thanks.
HWV 493 are two early versions of the Gigue in the Suite for harpsichord HWV 439, that is on IMSLP.
Here are scans of these three versions and a free arrangement in a minor by Alfred Kleinpaul.

Speaking of Händel: I can recommend to all the Händel variations by Martin Stadtfeld.
Besides a cd with some wonderful transcriptions, the sheet music album is available on Schott Music:
https://en.schott-music.com/shop/shopse ... =stadtfeld
My favorite: Se pieta de mi non senti from Giulio Cesare,
but from the same opera there's also Piangero la sorte mia.
Also available on Schott Music as a separate download.

Greetings,
kroket

Handel arr. A. Kleinpaul Gigue HWV 439.pdfHandel Gigue HWV 493 (2 versions).pdfHandel Gigue from Suite HWV 439.pdf
Thanks! that makes it clear to me!

Post Reply