Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by musiclife217 »

kroket wrote:
Henselt page from MGG.pdf
Phillip210 wrote:
musiclife217 wrote:hello, has anyone seen the Op. 12 Berceuse from Henselt?
That's a very interesting question. I can't see any mention of an Op. 12 in Richard Beattie Davis' catalogue on the Henselt Society website (except for item from Op. 13 listed as Op. 12 in one edition). That list doesn't mention an Op. 45 either, but IMSLP lists the well-known 'Wiegenlied' under that opus number. That piece seemed to have been published in at least one album (eg, this one https://goo.gl/gye4ug) without an opus number, even though the other pieces all have one, and in the editions on IMSLP only Pachmann's give it this number. I wonder if the 'Op. 12' and 'Op. 45' might be the same piece.
I agree with Philip. In Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart (although I don't have the last published version) is noted that Op. 12 was not published in Germany. A Berceuse in Ges is mentioned as published without an opus number. The Wiegenlied (Op. 45) is in Ges and is also called Berceuse.
Greetings, kroket
Wow, thank you both! That is all very interesting. So, are we to agree for the time being that Henselt's Opp. 12 and 45 are the same Berceuse/Wiegenlied?
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Thank you Kroket for the Mozart file. As Henkemans was Dutch and
Mozart was Austrian, I guess that the choice of thread was the
half-way-in-between option! :-)

I intend to produce a pdf extracted from that YouTube video shortly.

Regards, Tim.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Caprotti »

kroket wrote:
Phillip210 wrote:
That's a very interesting question. I can't see any mention of an Op. 12 in Richard Beattie Davis' catalogue on the Henselt Society website (except for item from Op. 13 listed as Op. 12 in one edition). That list doesn't mention an Op. 45 either, but IMSLP lists the well-known 'Wiegenlied' under that opus number. That piece seemed to have been published in at least one album (eg, this one https://goo.gl/gye4ug) without an opus number, even though the other pieces all have one, and in the editions on IMSLP only Pachmann's give it this number. I wonder if the 'Op. 12' and 'Op. 45' might be the same piece.
I agree with Philip. In Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart (although I don't have the last published version) is noted that Op. 12 was not published in Germany. A Berceuse in Ges is mentioned as published without an opus number. The Wiegenlied (Op. 45) is in Ges and is also called Berceuse.
Greetings, kroket

Henselt - 12 - Deux Romances du Comte Wielhorsky
Henselt - 13 n.2 - Die Gondole (Gb)
Henselt - 45 - Wiegenlied Gb (BH) (played by Godowsky as a piano roll)

they are not the same
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Caprotti wrote:
kroket wrote:
Phillip210 wrote:
Greetings, kroket

they are not the same
Thank you, Caprotti. Are you able to shed any light on the Op. 21 or Op. 38, as well?
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

The Henselt-Society offers this works-listing by R. Davis:
http://henselt-gesellschaft.de/wp-conte ... itions.pdf
according to this you can see that different opus-numbers were given to the same work by different editors and some numbers remain unused. No idea about the existence of op.21. Sometimes the Cadence to Beethoven's c-minor concerto which usually is numbered as op.29 can also be found as op.38 (because op.29 was also used for the Polka Sophie).

Bet regards

Paul
parag
Site Admin

Post by parag »

Here is some information I received from Richard Beattie Davis' wife Gillian (who is the Hon. president of the International Henselt Society) which definitely sheds some light on the issues involved...

I quote:

"
Here is some information from Herr. Kindle in Schwabach… I trust it proves useful. Gillian

Letter from Henselt from St. Petersburg to Karl Krägen of November 1839
"[...] But I think, dear Karl, after such a long neglect I must show you that I love you and now I want to, even though I am reluctant to write, especially on unlinirted
Paper and as much as my hands hurt now, make note of my last musical thought, since it is not too long and I like it and probably you too [it follows the "lullaby"]. "

Letter from Henselt from St. Petersburg to Heinrich Schlesinger from 25.10.1850
"[...] There are also several earlier original compositions by me, not published by you, published without opus number, like the lullaby and others, then tableau musical and concert [piano concerto], both with op. 16, which unforgivable Are missed. [...]

Letter from Henselt vmtl. from St. Petersburg to Marie Lipsius from April 1875
"[...] I believe that op.12, 21, 26, 27, 38 are vacant! And if something is, it certainly is something quite insignificant. These confusions come from the various publishers, who, without discussing and uniting with one another, arbitrarily seize the opus numbers. [...] "
The following is the list that Marie Lipsius sent to Henselt for review:

List of works published by Adolph Henselt.
A. Compositions with indication of the opus number.
B. Compositions without specifying an opus number.
For pianoforte.
- Themes avec Variations de Paganini, Recueillis de ses Concerts, Munich, butterfly.
Nouv. Edition, Leipzig, Forberg.
- Souvenir de Varsovie. Valse brilliant (a-flat major) pour piano. Leipzig, Hofmeister.
- Petite Valse pour Piano. Leipzig, seal.
- Lullaby for Piano (G flat major). Vienna, Mechetti.

At Henselt the lullaby is a work without opus number. Because of the double allocation of op. 13 [10 piano pieces, record number 2498 u. a., published by Schlesinger 1839 and lullaby] it was quoted by me as a work without Opuszahl (WoO)"

Best,
Parag
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

I quote the study by Keil-Zenzerova published in 2004-2007:

It seems that op.21 is a Romance russe (Reka nesetsa) by Taneev, already published as op.13 n.10. And op.38 should be the same score published as op.26 (Das ferne Land - Romanze)

musiclife217 wrote:
Caprotti wrote:
kroket wrote:
Phillip210 wrote:
Greetings, kroket

they are not the same
Thank you, Caprotti. Are you able to shed any light on the Op. 21 or Op. 38, as well?
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

This is what Pazdirek lists for Henselt:-

Op.12 Deux romances du comte M. Wielhorsky.

Op.12 Variations de concert sur l'op. "L'Elisire d'Amore".

Op.13 Dix Transcriptions:
N.1. Air russe.
N.2. La Gondola.
N.3. u. 4. Cavatine et Barcarole de Glinka.
N.5. Air favori de Balfe.
N.6. Mazurka et Polka.
N.7. Rakoczy-Marche.
N.8. Nicolai-Marche.
N.9. Polka brillante.
N.10. Romance russe de Tanéeff.

Op.13 Nr.1. Wiegenlied (Chant du berceau).
Op.13 Nr.5. Fantaisie sur des motifs de Paganini.

(Op.21 missing from list.)

Op.29 Kadenz z. Konzert, C-moll von Beethoven.

Op.29 Sophie, Polka.

Op.38 Cadence pour le concert de L. Beethoven, en ut min.

Op.45 Wiegenlied, Etude.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

The nice Romance in A-flat, Op.16 and a Tarantella in A minor by Albert Loeschhorn have just appeared on IMSLP.
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Gustav Lange

Post by Phillip210 »

There has always been a lot of interest in 'new' pieces by Lange, so I was interested to see a recent upload by BnF of a set of pieces identified as 'Aquarelles'. This seems to be a selection of individual pieces by Lange published in Germany around 1875. BnF seems not to have catalogued them properly, and the only way to find out what they are is to open up the individual pieces. I'm sure that they will eventually find their way to IMSLP, but meanwhile I have downloaded them and given them file names with their German titles. They are mainly within the range Opp. 180-210, and their are some really good pieces there (only one is already on IMSLP) :) . You can see them in a folder I set up for them: http://www.mediafire.com/?e4d0nbcl9a1i5