Composers from Germany [Misc]

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by mballan »

Jakob Rosenhain (1813-1894). German pianist. A one-act opera entitled "Der Besuch im Irrenhauses" was very successfully produced at Frankfort-on-the-Main in 1834, and was frequently repeated, notably at Weimar under the leadership of Hummel. His second opera, "Liswenna," was less fortunate. In 1837 Rosenhain went to London. On his return he settled in Paris, where, in conjunction with J. B. Cramer, he established a school of pianoforte-playing. Upon the completion of his third opera, "Volage et Jaloux," which was produced at Baden in 1863, Rosenhain permanently retired from the operatic stage in order to devote himself more exclusively to instrumental music. Among his principal compositions in this field may be mentioned a symphony in G minor; symphony in F minor; symphony "Im Frühling."

I've posted two etudes by the composer.

Malcolm
Rosenhain J. - Two Etudes.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

fleubis wrote:I hope more of his music surfaces.
This floated in with the tide at a beach near where I live...
Brassin - Op. 17 Nocturne.pdf
Regards
Fred

(moved from the etudes thread)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

an alternative scan (not mine)
Rosenhain - 17 - 12 Etudes Caractéristiques (a Cherubini).pdf
Mod edit: Scan is much better than my upload so I have removed it. FB
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Some Transcriptions after Wagner by Brassin (nms)
Brassin -Wagner-Magic Fire.pdf
brassin-wagner -siegmund.pdf
Brassin-Wagner-Ritt Walkyren.pdf
Brassin-Wagner-Waldweben.pdf
Brassin-Wagner-Walhalla.pdf
Oren

Mod edit: moved from the etudes thread.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Vinzenz Lachner (1811 in Rain am Lech – 1893 in Karlsruhe) was a German composer and conductor.

He was the youngest brother of Franz, also a composer and conductor, and well known as a close friend of Schubert. As a composer Lachner was essentially self-taught. He was first educated by his father Anton, the municipal organist, and after Anton's death was schooled in Augsburg, where he subsequently scratched out a living teaching music until his brother Franz arranged for him to become conductor and house musician for Earl Mycielski of Coscevitz in the Grand Duchy of Poznan. In 1831 he moved to Vienna to continue his musical training, becoming assistant conductor at the Court Opera and organist at a Protestant church (though he himself was Catholic). In 1836 he became court conductor at Mannheim in succession to Franz, where he was so highly valued that his contract was renewed and extended whenever he received offers from other musical centres. In all he remained there for 37 years, during which Mannheim had the reputation of performing the largest repertoire of operas of any city in Germany. Nevertheless, Lachner travelled and conducted widely, as far afield as London.

Lachner encouraged a number of prominent younger musicians, notably Bruch, levi and Wolfsohn. However, instinctively conservative in his tastes, he stood out publicly against the cult of Wagner, but the formation of a Wagner Association in Mannheim at the beginning of the 1870s was the beginning of the end for his career. Wagner himself came to conduct in Mannheim and, having already engineered the removal of Franz Lachner from Munich, campaigned for Vinzenz to be retired, which was brought about in 1873. He settled afterwards in Karlsruhe, where he continued to teach. Like all the Lachner brothers, he was friendly with Brahms. He died after a number of strokes at the age of 81.

I have posted Lachner's Op 57 Prelude and Toccata.

Malcolm
Lachner V - Op 57 Prelude &Toccata.pdf
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Post by Hobbypianist »

Walter Braunfels (19 December 1882 – 19 March 1954)
Braunfels_op.33_Preludes.pdf
Some small Preludes and Interludes from the operas Ulenspiegel, op.23 and the famous Don Gil von den grünen Hosen, op.35
Braunfels_op.23_Ulenspiegel_Vorspiel_Nr.1_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.23_Ulenspiegel_Vorspiel_Nr.2_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.23_Ulenspiegel_Zwischenspiel_Nr.1_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.23_Ulenspiegel_Zwischenspiel_Nr.2_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.23_Ulenspiegel_Zwischenspiel_Nr.3_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.35_Don_Gil_von_den_gruenen_Hosen_1.Akt_Vorspiel_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.35_Don_Gil_von_den_gruenen_Hosen_1.Akt_Zwischenspiel_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.35_Don_Gil_von_den_gruenen_Hosen_2.Akt_Zwischenspiel_Nr.1_2h.pdf
Braunfels_op.35_Don_Gil_von_den_gruenen_Hosen_2.Akt_Zwischenspiel_Nr.2_2h.pdf
oren segev
Pianophiliac

Post by oren segev »

Another one (nms)
Oren
Braunfels - Lyrischer Kreis Op.16.pdf
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

I thought it about time I posted something here not for the organ, hope this hasn't been scanned yet.
best wishes
Brian
Rosenhain Op.39 No.1 Andante et Rondo.pdf
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:I thought it about time I posted something here not for the organ, hope this hasn't been scanned yet.
Did he write anything for organ? And speaking of organ, please go to Music from British Isles. ;)
remy
Pianophiliac

Post by remy »

Does anyone have the score of the Nocturne in A flat, Op.8 No.1 by Adolf Gutmann (1819-1882)?

The usual places only have the Nocturne Lyrique and the Op.20 No.7 Nocturne.

Thanks very much.

jeremy