Pupils of Liszt

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Pupils of Liszt

Post by mballan »

Viole: the more substantial 1st sonata [thank you Mr P]....which now completes the collection.

Malcolm
Viole - Op 1 Sonata No.1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Jean Paul Ertel (1865-1933). German pianist and composer. Studied with Brassin and had some lessons from Liszt [which just about qualifies him for this thread]!! Also was a music critic and editor.

I've posted his March Fantastique from the Quatre Impressions de la Suisse Op 27.

Malcolm
Ertel P - Marche Fantastique.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

I just got the new Alan Walker biography of by Hans von Bulow(Liszt's favorite pupil?). There is a huge list of of von Bulow's editions, original pieces and transcriptions at the end of the book. If anyone could post any of these that are not already at IMSLP it would be greatly apprecitaed.

THANKS!!
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

lebowl wrote:I just got the new Alan Walker biography of by Hans von Bulow(Liszt's favorite pupil?). There is a huge list of of von Bulow's editions, original pieces and transcriptions at the end of the book. If anyone could post any of these that are not already at IMSLP it would be greatly apprecitaed.

THANKS!!
Larry, since you have the book and probably no-one else here has it would be nice if you listed the items you know that have not been posted, or scan the worklist for the benefit of all here.
regards
Brian
lebowl
Pianophiliac

Post by lebowl »

Here are the listings for von Bulow already at IMSLP. Anything else would be of interest(maybe around 10 pages of compositions, arrangements. editions are listed in the book).

Arabesques en forme de variations sur un thême favori de l'opéra Rigoletto de Verdi, Op.2 (Bülow, Hans von)
Il Carnevale di Milano, Op.21 (Bülow, Hans von)
Concertparaphrase über 'Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg' (Bülow, Hans von)
Tannhäuser Konzert-Fantasie (Bülow, Hans von)
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

lebowl wrote:Here are the listings for von Bulow already at IMSLP. Anything else would be of interest(maybe around 10 pages of compositions, arrangements. editions are listed in the book).

Arabesques en forme de variations sur un thême favori de l'opéra Rigoletto de Verdi, Op.2 (Bülow, Hans von)
Il Carnevale di Milano, Op.21 (Bülow, Hans von)
Concertparaphrase über 'Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg' (Bülow, Hans von)
Tannhäuser Konzert-Fantasie (Bülow, Hans von)
Larry, it would be much more constructive to list the pieces which are NOT at IMSLP. If you want help concerning these pieces, give us a list or scan the pages in question, please. Otherwise your request will be in vain...
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
lebowl
Pianophiliac

Post by lebowl »

Bulow's editions of the Beethoven Sonatas or any of Chopin works would be interesting. I brought up von Bulow because I was interested in the topic in general. He was Liszt's favorite pupil and not mentioned so far.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

lebowl wrote:Bulow's editions of the Beethoven Sonatas or any of Chopin works would be interesting. I brought up von Bulow because I was interested in the topic in general. He was Liszt's favorite pupil and not mentioned so far.
...he at least was one of Liszt's favourite pupils. Although critizised as pretty dry and academic by Clara Schumann, it was him who received the honour to premiere Liszt's sonata!!!
If his editions are not anywhere else to find, I can post them. - Bülow's Beethoven editions can be regarded as the direct forerunner of Schnabel's edition. - B.'s edition of the Diabelli variations was highly praised by Edwin Fischer!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

this was posted by me years ago
Liszt - Tanto gentile (2H Bülow).pdf
jre58591

Post by jre58591 »

Not a request for a pupil of Liszt, but the man himself. Does anyone have the original ending to Liszt's piano sonata?