Pupils of Liszt

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Pupils of Liszt

Post by klavierelch »

Malc, many thanks to you and Mr.P for digging out all the new Viole. It is not easy to find his piano music today. A more than welcome addition to my old (and bad) scan of No7 op26.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Caprotti wrote:
mballan wrote:And Viole's Sonata No. 6 Op 25 [I have No. 1 and will post shortly].

Malcolm
Thank you very much for all the sonatas !
Is there any chance to find the complete etudes ?
Hi Caprotti

Only the 1st volume which I'll get scanned shortly. Maybe worth doing No. 7 if K says the scan is not that brilliant.

Malc
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

thank you
if needed I can do a better scan of op.13, which was one of my first (imperfect) scans uploaded at this site 4 years ago
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Viole - the first volume, Nos. 1-25 of the said mentioned Etudes. Alas unable to locate a copy of the other 75 !!

Personally these seem lacking in the vituosity one would associate with Liszt....and hence surprised at his recommendation of these etudes [maybe the other 75 become gradually more techinically demanding]?

Malcolm
Viole - Op 50 Etudes Nos 1- 25.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

thank you very much for this first set, evidently the easiest

I wasn't able to locate the entire op.50
could someone get via int.loan the following, from Bremen ?

Viole, Rudolph:
35 ausgewählte Etüden für das Pianoforte zu 2 Händen [Musikdruck] : aus op. 50, hundert Etüden / von Rudolf Viole. Hrsg. und mit Vortragsbezeichnungen, Fingersatz etc. vers. von Franz Liszt. Neu bearb. von Walter Niemann

Leipzig : Kahnt, [ca. 1910]. - 78 S.

Signatur: a not 215 violr/50

I'll check in Milano the other partial possibility, i.e.

Etuden Album : Ausgewahlte Etuden v. 1-3! / von Bertini ; Clementi ; Cramer ; Czerny ; Lemoine ; Ch. Mayer ; A. & J. Schmidt ; R. Viole ; fur den unterricht progressiv geordnet, mit fingersatzen und vortragszeichen versehen von Rodolf Kaiser
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Caprotti wrote: I wasn't able to locate the entire op.50

Viole, Rudolph:
35 ausgewählte Etüden für das Pianoforte zu 2 Händen [Musikdruck] : aus op. 50, hundert Etüden / von Rudolf Viole. Hrsg. und mit Vortragsbezeichnungen, Fingersatz etc. vers. von Franz Liszt. Neu bearb. von Walter Niemann

I will go to Bremen this spring!

best regards

alfor
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

alfor wrote:
Caprotti wrote: I wasn't able to locate the entire op.50

Viole, Rudolph:

I will go to Bremen this spring!

best regards

alfor
No need to go at all, I don't know where I got this from but here it is with grateful thanks to the original scanner.
regards
Brian
Viole_35 selected studies (ed. Liszt).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

well done !
Scharwenka790

Post by Scharwenka790 »

I can't let this thread pass without including something by Liszt pupil, and my fellow countryman, Frederick Lamond. Lamond was born in Glasgow in 1868 and died in Stirling in 1948, though he spent most of his adult life (until WW2) based in Berlin. His few compositions date from his early life as he seems to have given up composition when his career as a pianist took off in the 1890's. Here is his rather impressive Op1.
Lamond op.1 8 Clavierstucke.PDF
Op2 is a Piano Trio (which I think is available from Sibley) and he also wrote a decent cello sonata. For orchestra there is a Symphony and Overture, both recorded by Hyperion, and an unpublished opera Eine Liebe im Schottischen Hochlande.

Mike
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Scharwenka790 wrote:I can't let this thread pass without including something by Liszt pupil, and my fellow countryman, Frederick Lamond. Lamond was born in Glasgow in 1868 and died in Stirling in 1948, though he spent most of his adult life (until WW2) based in Berlin. His few compositions date from his early life as he seems to have given up composition when his career as a pianist took off in the 1890's. Here is his rather impressive Op1.
Lamond op.1 8 Clavierstucke.PDF
Op2 is a Piano Trio (which I think is available from Sibley) and he also wrote a decent cello sonata. For orchestra there is a Symphony and Overture, both recorded by Hyperion, and an unpublished opera Eine Liebe im Schottischen Hochlande.

Mike
Thanks for this Mike, it is greatly appreciated. Lamond was the teacher of the deputy organist at the choir I sang in when I was 11, and his inspiring playing of the Scriabin LH Prelude and Nocturne and his technical assistance with pianistic problems I had ( I didn't have a piano teacher) really stimulated me to strive for even better things and tackle the impossible pieces. In that nothing has changed.
The organist in question is no longer with us but I must just tell you a story, it was known that when out for a walk or something and he espied a church he would always dash to see if the door was open and if they had a piano there, if so then he would run to the piano and rattle off a number of Beethoven Sonatas from memory just for fun and his own pleasure often coming home hours later when "his dinner was in the oven" or the dog or both. In that he carried on the tradition of Liszts pupils playing and revering Beethoven above all others. His playing of Chopins Op.58 was magisterial and hopefully was passed down to him from Lamond and of course Liszt.