Pupils of Liszt

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Pupils of Liszt

Post by mballan »

Strange...I would have thought that this was an obvious thread for most piano enthusiasts [although I must admit I tend to prefer the pupils over the teacher when it comes to their piano compositions.....I must accept that the master's influence on piano music is vast, but personally it does little for me in terms of musicality....heresy, I know] :twisted: !!

And first - Conrad Ansorge. Born 1862, Silesia: died 1930, Berlin. German pianist & composer. Studied at Leipzig Conservatoire in 1880-82, and then with Liszt at Weimar from 1885-86. In 1887 he toured in the USA and in 1893 he returned to Weimar as a professor of piano. From 1895 he moved to Berlin where from 1898 to 1903 he taught at the Klindworth-Scharwenka Conservatory. In 1920 he became head of the piano department at the German Academy in Prague. Was noted as a pianist but also gained recognition for his compositions at that time. Works include a Requiem, two symphonies and other orchestral works, a piano concerto [one to hunt down Thal], two string quartets, a string sextet, three piano sonatas and various pieces for piano [sonata no. 1 has been posted on PP previously].

Malcolm

Piano Sonata No. 2
Ansorge C - Op 21 Piano Sonata No. 2.pdf
Piano Sonata No. 3
Ansorge C - Op 23 Piano Sonata No.3.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Pupils of Liszt

Post by mballan »

And next: Rudolf Viole. Born 1825, Schochwitz: died 1867, Berlin. German pianist & composer. Pupil of Liszt, who recommended his compositions and editied his 100 etudes. Viole wrote mainly for the piano including 11 sonatas, a Caprice heroique, a ballade, a polonaise and the forementioned 100 etudes.

I have posted a number of his sonatas
Viole R - Op 21 Piano Sonata No. 2.pdf
Viole R - Op 22 Piano Sonata No. 3.pdf
Viole R - Op 23 Piano Sonata No. 4.pdf
Viole R - Op 24 Piano Sonata No. 5.pdf
Viole R - Op 27 Piano Sonata No. 8.pdf
Viole R - Op 28 Piano Sonata No.9.pdf
Viole R - Op 29 Piano Sonata No.10.pdf
Viole R - Op 30 Piano Sonata No.11.pdf
and hope to cover further works shortly [although I may disagree with Liszt on the merit of some of this music]. Thanks again to Mr P.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

ansorge-remembrance
Oren
ansorge-remembrance.pdf
Last edited by oren segev on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Thank you Malcolm.

Here is two more.

Riodk
Viole_26_Sonata.pdf
Viole_13_Caprice heroique.pdf
lebowl
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano Mason BB

Post by lebowl »

oren segev wrote:ansorge-remembrance
Oren
I get an error message when I try to download this file. I think I remember someone saying that if the file name has a dash, this problem can occur?
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

lebowl wrote:
Oren
I get an error message when I try to download this file. I think I remember someone saying that if the file name has a dash, this problem can occur?
Works fine for me. The 'dash' is a perfectly standard character. The problem will be with your browser, which you should either upgrade or abandon for a smarter browser. IE8 is ok, Google Chrome & Safari are recent additions to browser software - personally I use Firefox (although it's got rather functionally top-heavy of late). Anyway, Oren's file is fine.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

And Viole's Sonata No. 6 Op 25
Viole R - Op 25 Piano Sonata No. 6.pdf
[I have No. 1 and will post shortly].

Malcolm
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:Conrad Ansorge. Born 1862, Silesia: died 1930, Berlin. German pianist & composer. Studied at Leipzig Conservatoire in 1880-82, and then with Liszt at Weimar from 1885-86. In 1887 he toured in the USA and in 1893 he returned to Weimar as a professor of piano. From 1895 he moved to Berlin where from 1898 to 1903 he taught at the Klindworth-Scharwenka Conservatory. In 1920 he became head of the piano department at the German Academy in Prague. Was noted as a pianist but also gained recognition for his compositions at that time. Works include a Requiem, two symphonies and other orchestral works, a piano concerto [one to hunt down Thal], two string quartets, a string sextet, three piano sonatas and various pieces for piano [sonata no. 1 has been posted on PP previously].

Malcolm
A rare drawing of C.A. at the piano. Regarding his style of piano playing, you can get quite interesting info by Walter Niemannn and Ansorge's pupil, the harpsichordist Eta Harich-Schneider (both only in German, as far as I know). If I am not mistaken, there was a "Ansorge-Verein" promoting his compositions (mainly "Lieder"). Adolf Ruthardt very unfavourably reviewed Ansorge's sonatas in his "Klaviermusikführer".
Ansorge.jpg
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

mballan wrote:And Viole's Sonata No. 6 Op 25 [I have No. 1 and will post shortly].

Malcolm
Thank you very much for all the sonatas !
Is there any chance to find the complete etudes ?
oren segev
Pianophiliac

Post by oren segev »

lebowl wrote:
Oren
Try it again hope it will work for you
Oren