Piano music inspired by insects & assorted wee beasties

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: Piano music inspired by insects

Post by davida march »

fredbucket wrote:Well, I suppose in honour of the Winter Olympics in Canada I have to upload this, which I learnt as a youngster many years ago, and still can't play ...
Lavallee - Op.18 Le Papillon - Etude de concert.pdf
Regards
Fred
Thanks Fred - I heard this played by a 12 year old the other day rather brilliantly.
I ponder: were any insects ever inspired by piano music? Probably many have suffered as a result of ivory onslaught - moths mashed by hammers; spiders twanged by strings; fleas flayed by felt...the agony, and we mock them with these diabolical delights.
Davida
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fredbucket »

davida march wrote:Thanks Fred - I heard this played by a 12 year old the other day rather brilliantly.
That's right - rub it in, why don't you?...
davida march wrote:I ponder: were any insects ever inspired by piano music? Probably many have suffered as a result of ivory onslaught - moths mashed by hammers; spiders twanged by strings; fleas flayed by felt...the agony, and we mock them with these diabolical delights.
I have discovered crunched cockroaches in some very old and ill-looked after pianos, so that does suggest that they are inspired by period instruments.

Regards
Fred
davida march
Pianophiliac

Post by davida march »

fredbucket wrote:
davida march wrote:Thanks Fred - I heard this played by a 12 year old the other day rather brilliantly.
That's right - rub it in, why don't you?...
davida march wrote:I ponder: were any insects ever inspired by piano music? Probably many have suffered as a result of ivory onslaught - moths mashed by hammers; spiders twanged by strings; fleas flayed by felt...the agony, and we mock them with these diabolical delights.
I have discovered crunched cockroaches in some very old and ill-looked after pianos, so that does suggest that they are inspired by period instruments.

Regards
Fred
Well actually, I feel a little redundant myself. I was adjudicating and had to give this little girl a 3rd prize. The winner played Carl Vine & Scriabin Sonatas, and the 2nd place award went to a boy who played the Liszt Tarantella. Kids! - you'd think they should be playing computer games and getting up to 'social not-working'!
dm
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

davida march wrote:Well actually, I feel a little redundant myself. I was adjudicating and had to give this little girl a 3rd prize. The winner played Carl Vine & Scriabin Sonatas, and the 2nd place award went to a boy who played the Liszt Tarantella. Kids! - you'd think they should be playing computer games and getting up to 'social not-working'!
Bucket's Law: No matter how well you play, there is always someone else younger and better.

Regards
Disgruntled
Ferruccio
Pianophiliac

Post by Ferruccio »

fredbucket wrote:
davida march wrote:Well actually, I feel a little redundant myself. I was adjudicating and had to give this little girl a 3rd prize. The winner played Carl Vine & Scriabin Sonatas, and the 2nd place award went to a boy who played the Liszt Tarantella. Kids! - you'd think they should be playing computer games and getting up to 'social not-working'!
Bucket's Law: No matter how well you play, there is always someone else younger and better.

Regards
Disgruntled
That's it ! :evil:
Best regards, Ferruccio
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Piano music inspired by amphibians

Post by WCosand »

In February it was suggested that we have a new thread for amphibian-inspired music. Here is a rather unusual example, taken from the latest IMSLP additions. Complete with illustrations:

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... _Piano.pdf
davida march
Pianophiliac

Post by davida march »

WCosand wrote:In February it was suggested that we have a new thread for amphibian-inspired music. Here is a rather unusual example, taken from the latest IMSLP additions. Complete with illustrations:

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... _Piano.pdf
Brilliant! Any squid or Kraken based scores?
fredbucket
Site Admin

Re: Amphibians inspired by music

Post by fredbucket »

davida march wrote:Brilliant! Any squid or Kraken based scores?
I'm not sure, but Richard Strauss had an unusual effect on certain cells...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6vFYH7QJA

Regards
Fred
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

There are some cephalopod pieces.
Satie's La Pieuvre is one I am fond of. I love the idea that the octopus must take some salt water because the crab it ate went down backwards.
It is page 12 of
http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... ements.pdf
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

davida march wrote:
WCosand wrote:In February it was suggested that we have a new thread for amphibian-inspired music. Here is a rather unusual example, taken from the latest IMSLP additions. Complete with illustrations: http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... _Piano.pdf
Brilliant! Any squid or Kraken based scores?
Helen, no score, but a rough beat up piano tutorial of octopus's garden by The Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYWlmPA2OM