Music of Africa and African Descent

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
cocorumcafe

Music of Africa and African Descent

Post by cocorumcafe »

Hello Everyone,

I have recently created a topic of "Samuel Coleridge-Taylor" and now I am really interested in finding more about Black Composers.

I have heard some of Ludovico Lamothe's music and wondering if any of you nay have his music?

The classical music is very white dominated music and I think this place is the perfect place to share something more versatile.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: African Descent Music

Post by Jean-Séb »

ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Edmond Dedé is one of the most talented composers.

http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/Dede.html

I have been trying to get his scores, I will appreciate very much if anyone can post Dedé’ piano scores,
ILU
Quo melius Illac
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

I think we had a 'Black Composer' thread on an old P-P. I MUCH prefer the titling of this thread, which is clever and throws the net wider as it should be. Well done!
zeniyama

Post by zeniyama »

rob wrote:I think we had a 'Black Composer' thread on an old P-P. I MUCH prefer the titling of this thread, which is clever and throws the net wider as it should be. Well done!
Awww, come on, now. Don't diss my thread names! :D
Although, I did probably make a bit of a hasty decision in just naming the thread "Black Composers"...
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

zeniyama wrote:
rob wrote:I think we had a 'Black Composer' thread on an old P-P. I MUCH prefer the titling of this thread, which is clever and throws the net wider as it should be. Well done!
Awww, come on, now. Don't diss my thread names! :D
Although, I did probably make a bit of a hasty decision in just naming the thread "Black Composers"...
Oh, no disrespect at all. But the new title is a much better title - but clearly it wasn't one I thought of at the time. Had I done so I would have retitled your original thread!!!
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

The name Lionel Belasco comes to mind re. this topic. Born in Trinidad I believe, he emigrated to the States sometime after 1910 and recorded a few piano solos for Victor around 1912. His music is in a popular vein characteristic of the West Indies styles, including calypso pieces and many very beautiful short waltzes. Belasco recorded a series of player piano rolls for the QRS company; all of his own compositions. I have several scores of his pieces which are rather inaccessible at the present, I can provide several of his numbers in midi format. The attached file(s) originally were recorded by myself from a 10-tune nickelodeon roll which featured many of LB's compositions. These are listed in the order they appear on the roll and midi file below:

Beatriz Valse (possibly by Belasco)
Moonlight In Venice
Palabras de Amor Valse
I Love Him Already (composed by Belasco)
Carlota Valse
Jennie (Composed by Belasco)
Dream Of Love Valse
Buddy Abraham (composed by Belasco)
Estrellas y Margarietas
Sly Mongoose (composed by Belasco)

I can't offer composer information on the other pieces, but musically they are within a similar vein. Please remember these are non-reproducing player piano roll recordings and hence have no expression characteristics.

Enjoy and all best,

Frank (fhimpsl)
C2030a.mid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Composers of African Descent

Post by fredbucket »

I have taken the liberty of tweaking the thread topic slightly.

Regards
Fred
rob
Pianomaniac

Re: Composers of African Descent

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:I have taken the liberty of tweaking the thread topic slightly.

Regards
Fred
Oh dear! I think that you are wrong Fred. The subject of the thread is the music not the composers. So we might well want to post music that has been influenced by 'Music of African Descent' written by a composer who has no African racial/genetic heritage - at least I rather thought that was the point of the thread. What you've done is turned it back into the 'Black Composers Thread' which is I believe narrower, or at least quite different to the original intention. So I would rather we revert...
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Music of African Descent

Post by fredbucket »

rob wrote:The subject of the thread is the music not the composers. So we might well want to post music that has been influenced by 'Music of African Descent' written by a composer who has no African racial/genetic heritage - at least I rather thought that was the point of the thread. So I would rather we revert...
Not a problem. I will do my best reverse Dr Who impression...ZAP!!!!

Ouch...

Regards
Fred