Music of Africa and African Descent

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
cocorumcafe

Re: Music of African Descent

Post by cocorumcafe »

fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:The subject of the thread is the music not the composers. So we might well want to post music that has been influenced by 'Music of African Descent' written by a composer who has no African racial/genetic heritage - at least I rather thought that was the point of the thread. So I would rather we revert...
Not a problem. I will do my best reverse Dr Who impression...ZAP!!!!

Ouch...

Regards
Fred
Hi everyone,

I am so glad that this thread has attracted so much attentions! Yes, Rob, you are right. I meant "Music of African Descent" not black composers. I didn't realise there were a previous thread "Black composers" but I simply did not feel comfortable using such a term. We don't call White composers or Yellow (in my case) , do we?
cocorumcafe

Re: African Descent Music

Post by cocorumcafe »

Jean-Séb wrote:I assume you know this page:
http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestea ... mothe.html
Hi Jean-Seb,

Thank you. This is great web site actually. Yes, I have read this page and it looks like only way to get hold of the score is to contact a library in USA but I thought some of you may have.

Regards,

Coco
cocorumcafe

Re: African Descent Music

Post by cocorumcafe »

fhimpsl wrote:The name Lionel Belasco comes to mind re. this topic. Born in Trinidad I believe, he emigrated to the States sometime after 1910 and recorded a few piano solos for Victor around 1912. His music is in a popular vein characteristic of the West Indies styles, including calypso pieces and many very beautiful short waltzes. Belasco recorded a series of player piano rolls for the QRS company; all of his own compositions. I have several scores of his pieces which are rather inaccessible at the present, I can provide several of his numbers in midi format. The attached file(s) originally were recorded by myself from a 10-tune nickelodeon roll which featured many of LB's compositions. These are listed in the order they appear on the roll and midi file below:

Beatriz Valse (possibly by Belasco)
Moonlight In Venice
Palabras de Amor Valse
I Love Him Already (composed by Belasco)
Carlota Valse
Jennie (Composed by Belasco)
Dream Of Love Valse
Buddy Abraham (composed by Belasco)
Estrellas y Margarietas
Sly Mongoose (composed by Belasco)

I can't offer composer information on the other pieces, but musically they are within a similar vein. Please remember these are non-reproducing player piano roll recordings and hence have no expression characteristics.

Enjoy and all best,

Frank (fhimpsl)
C2030a.mid
Dear Frank,

Thank you for sharing this music with us! I would love to have the scores if you don't mind scan them in?

Regards,

Coco
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Coco,

I will do my best to find them. We moved cross-country recently and most of my sheet music collection is still in boxes. With the help of my daughter we'll try and find those Belasco scores and then post them. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the music.

All best,

Frank
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All, My daughter successfully found the Belasco folder, a significant feat in itself considering the disarray of my scores at present. I have six of them; all posted here. Enjoy the calypso!

Very Best,

Frank
Adelle.pdf
BuddyAbraham.pdf
DoloresTango.pdf
ILoveHimAlready.pdf
Jennie.pdf
SlyMongoose.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Another composer of African descent worth knowing (in this case an African-American) is R. Nathaniel Dett (1882-1943). He composed a number of light classical pieces, mostly in the form of suites containing multiple tunes and built around a southern inspired theme. His best known work is "In The Bottoms Suite," from which movement #4 "Juba Dance" was in its day a popular encore number at recitals. This piece was recorded by classical artists on 78rpm as well as piano roll. Dett was in fact one of the first individuals to record piano rolls in the USA. In 1912 he recorded his "Magnolia Suite" for the QRS roll company in Chicago. Attached is his most popular work "In The Bottoms." Unfortunately during my scan I missed page 10 (only takes a momentary distraction!) and am hence including this page as a separate posting.
Dett - In The Bottoms Suite.pdf
Frank (fhimpsl)
[Mod edit: I have fixed Frank's file to include page 10. FB]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Another composition by R.Nathaniel Dett here - "Tropic Winter - Suite For Piano"
Dett - Tropic Winter Suite - Part I.pdf
Dett - Tropic Winter Suite - Part II.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Probably R.Nathaniel Dett's first published composition, "After The Cake Walk," from 1900
Dett - After The Cake Walk.pdf
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Thanks for the Dett! One of my favorite encores has been "I am the True Vine," a rather Beethovenian fugue. Unfortunately I cannot put scores on my website that were published in the 1940's.
You can hear a pianist play it very slowly at
http://www.dramonline.org/tracks/eight- ... ine/player
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

You are most welcome! It is a pleasure to share scores which haven't been posted yet. Goodness knows it's difficult enough to find new material for this wonderful site!

All best,

Frank