Music from the Balkans

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
sgambatiesque

Re: Music from the Balkans

Post by sgambatiesque »

sgambatiesque wrote:Seeking piano solo music by Marko Tajčević after previewing this disc : http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0041

AFAICT the only items available for purchase are

* Balkan Dances (Schott)
* Songs from Mur Island (Henle)

The Variations on a Theme in C minor were included in a Yugoslav anthology provided on this thread.

[tags: Tajcevic, Tajcevik]
I contacted Radmila Stojanovic Kiriluk (the pianist from the recording) and she kindly replied with the following information:
I am glad that you like music of Marko Tajcevic. And you are right, apart from several pieces you have mentioned, other pieces are not available for sale. However, I am currently working wiht the Schott company from Germany on an edition (volume I) of Tajcevic's music that is either out of print or still in the manuscript form. The edition will be available hopefully by this Summer. I actually have just received a first draft of the publication and need to do some corrections. So please chekc online for the edition later or you can always email me and I will update you.
Here are the links for available music:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Ser ... nces/56299
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/7-B ... es/5985074
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Son ... nd/3764244
http://www.amazon.com/jugoslawische-Kla ... 898&sr=8-3
(The last one has his First Suite).
Please let me know if you have any more questions about Tajcevic.
Sincerely
Radmila
alegitor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by alegitor »

Duirton wrote:Hello everyone,

I've finished to make the my edition of N. Skalkottas piece -Echo-, and I've decided to post it.
Is strange and sad that this little big masterpiece has been not never published.... (at least for that I know...)

Duirton
Skalkottas - Echo.pdf
Many thanks, Duirton! Wonderful edition and the piece is really nice 8-)

Cheers
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Is any of Mitropoulos's sheet music available online?
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Walter, I have not seen any of the sheet music by Mitropoulos but I do have a disc by Douglas Madge of his Piano
Sonata. What a work that is. i would love to see the score of it.

Peter.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

In view of current postings elsewhere on Pianophilia, this link might be of interest:-
http://www.dlib.si/results/?query=%27co ... ageSize=25
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Thanks TimTin for the link to the Slovak Library.

Although, I as one, appreciate people sharing works from libraries on Pianophilia, it does remind me that I would strongly prefer if people would just post the link to such electronic collections and allow members to access these scores freely of their own accord, rather than posting streams of works taken from the library.

Libraries who do share works on the internet [and there is a grow list of such establishments] spend much time, money and effort doing this, and often at the same time monitor usage so they can establish the success of such enterprises. If a member downloads and then shares on PP then the library only registers 1 user whereas on PP there may be 100 downloads. If we rob libraries of recording their downloads, then they may decide that all the effort on scanning musical works is not worth the effort.......and we all lose out on that.

So please in future - feel free to share the links and maybe an example of a few scores - but no more vast uploading of scores unless they are scanned by individuals and members.

I am going to post this message on several more popular threads.

Malcolm
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Malcolm,

I think the point you make is a fundamentally good one, but there is an aspect which perhaps should be considered ...

I speak a few languages, but not the soviet, czech, eastern bloc languages etc. - I do not even understand the scripts in such a way that I could instantly or easily understand or approximate an understanding of who wrote the piece or what it might be about or even it's genre.

To that extent, therefore, I really appreciate the filtered efforts of someone who does; and has decided that the posted piece merits extraction for posting here on pianophila for the further edification (and perhaps future exploration via links) of the rest of us.

I know that I simply do not have sufficient time to troll through numerous sites:- download, review, assess and analyse and then pass on the info or the file.

I have numerous pieces of my own which I own, which I have not seen on Pianophilia, have scanned - and then, (oh! the disappointment) have been informed that such and such a library already has the piece available for download. I certainly do not have the skills or the time to review every library on the internet. I don't think the fact that I provide a piece from my private collection or pass a piece on from a friend's should be an issue, just because some library, somewhere - (deeply buried in its own vaults and complex retrieval systems) - also has the piece, should prevent me from sharing it here.

I think it is a difficult balance to achieve - but as far as the eastern bloc (and maybe the Sino libraries too) are concerned, I am extremely grateful for the postings that otherwise would waste me many hours in random downloading for perhaps a net, (no pun intended!), of tiddlers and langram, with the occasional table morsel to keep.

If the source provides downloads, and the poster has filtered the best from the source - I would like to encourage the diverse efforts of the various posters. Of course, I agree it would be nice to know the source link too - but in my case, as far as the eastern bloc sources are concerned - I would be like a fish out of water and completely at sea in trying to decide what might be worth downloading, the source therefore would be of little practical use to me.

It's just a thought and I hope you don't mind me expressing my opinion, but perhaps the Pianophila site / page could make referrals of the number of "linked" downloads to the original source - this might overcome one of the major objections you have raised. I'm not a super-techno like Fred or Rob - but perhaps that is one solution.

Best wishes,
tobyjj
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

tobyjj

I appreciate your point and understand the difficulty in trying to navigate around some of these sites - but I only know a little Russian and nothing of any other languages [and I don't think Alfor knows Russian or the eastern European languages - I'm sure he will correct me if wrong].....yet we are able to navigate around these sites. As fleubis kindly states - Google translate is a very useful tool and the one I use for the majority. Yes, it is not always easy and takes a little time and effort, but at the same time you may discover other musical gems that might have been missed.

My concern is that some libraries go to great lengths to share their resources on line - and that in itself can cost both a lot of money, time and effort. I know for a fact that Sibley have spent over $200,000 on their programme of scanning scores and sharing on-line through their own site or IMSLP...............but such a programme will only continue to be shared with the public if usage remains constant. If 1 person downloads then shares on PP, then Sibley only record 1 user where on PP we might have 100+ downloads....we are effectively robbing them of their potential outputs. If I were looking at the economics of that, I would soon be cancelling the scanning programme as interest was zero ! We should be really supporting these libraries when and wherever we can. I think they are shining examples of what libraries across the globe should be doing. Otherwise the alternative is they will stop and we will be back to having to ask for copies of scores and paying substantial monies to get copies of rare scores [the last time I used the British Library I paid over £100 for one Pachulski score.............which I hasten to add I shared on PP so you all got that for free]!!!!!

I'm quite happy for anyone to access these sites and provide links - just as FredB often does with Sibley - that way the original website can record the usage. We can either use one of the available threads - or I'm quite happy for a new thread be created for each library site [just as we did with the Russian State Library] - and then happy for people to provide the links to scores. But I do want us to be responsible and give the appropriate library its due credit for sharing rare scores with us, the public. If we do not use them - then it would be only a matter of time before they decide it is financially unviable and will stop. And the only losers in that scenario will be us, as collectors.

Malcolm
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:tobyjj...I appreciate your point and understand the difficulty in trying to navigate around some of these sites - but I only know a little Russian and nothing of any other languages [and I don't think Alfor knows Russian or the eastern European languages - I'm sure he will correct me if wrong] yet we are able to navigate around these sites. As fleubis kindly states - Google translate is a very useful tool and the one I use for the majority. Yes, it is not always easy and takes a little time and effort, but at the same time you may discover other musical gems that might have been missed. ...Malcolm
You are completely correct! Google translator often is very helpful for me!

There is one quite annoying thing which I do not understand:

Why do all digital files from libraries have a strange mixture of figures and letters and therefore need renaming ????????
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

alfor wrote:
mballan wrote:tobyjj...I appreciate your point and understand the difficulty in trying to navigate around some of these sites - but I only know a little Russian and nothing of any other languages [and I don't think Alfor knows Russian or the eastern European languages - I'm sure he will correct me if wrong] yet we are able to navigate around these sites. As fleubis kindly states - Google translate is a very useful tool and the one I use for the majority. Yes, it is not always easy and takes a little time and effort, but at the same time you may discover other musical gems that might have been missed. ...Malcolm
You are completely correct! Google translator often is very helpful for me!

There is one quite annoying thing which I do not understand:

Why do all digital files from libraries have a strange mixture of figures and letters and therefore need renaming ????????
More than seconded!