Film music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
jre58591
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Film music

Post by jre58591 »

Does anyone have Bernard Herrmann's Concerto Macabre?
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

It is a pity, that great film music composers like John Barry and Jerry Goldsmith cannot be posted here.
Alkan81

Post by Alkan81 »

fredbucket wrote:
Alkan81 wrote:Where I can get this copyright??? This is my transcription
Making a transcription of a work does not in any way negate the copyright on that work, which remains with the original copyright owner, and you cannot publish that arrangement without the express permission of the original copyright owner.

If this were not the case, I could take a copyrighted piece, change one note, call it an arrangement, and publish it.

Regards
Fred
Thanks Fred
I have delted this attachment
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

jre58591 wrote:Does anyone have Bernard Herrmann's Concerto Macabre?
This was scanned recently by a member of the CPS, so we just need to get permission of the person who scanned it before it can be posted.

Permission from the moderators as well, as this might be a bit too dodgy.

Thal
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

thalbergmad wrote:
jre58591 wrote:Does anyone have Bernard Herrmann's Concerto Macabre?
This was scanned recently by a member of the CPS, so we just need to get permission of the person who scanned it before it can be posted.

Permission from the moderators as well, as this might be a bit too dodgy.

Thal
Much as I would love a copy of this score...it is still very much covered by copyright [just been checking - rights held by Norma Hermann] and hence should not be posted on PP.

Malcolm
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Does anyone have an idea of the quality of the music in the film scores of Jean-Jacques Grunenwald? I have heard only one example on YouTube and the music seems very agreeable.

Regarding Jerry Goldsmith, the film score to Alien is one of his best achievements IMO...
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

4candles wrote:... Regarding Jerry Goldsmith, the film score to Alien is one of his best achievements IMO...
Seconded! If you listen to the "Alien" soundtrack without regarding the (excellent) movie, you'll notice how modern the writing is. In general, cinema visitors accept (partially) modern music composed for movies - composed to create atmospheres, to give a psychic base to the plot, to the actors, to the audience. "Basic Instinct" is another example, and there are lots more by Goldsmith (not complete):

100 Rifles
A Girl Named Sooner
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
Ace Eli And Roger Of The Skies
Anna And The King
Bad Girls
Chain Reaction
Damnation Alley
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes
Fate Is The Hunter
In Like Flint
Justine
Magic
Morituri
Our Man Flint
Patton
Planet Of The Apes
Rio Conchos
S*P*Y*S
Shock Treatment
Stagecoach
Take A Hard Ride
The Agony And The Ecstasy
The Blue Max
The Chairman
The Detective
The Edge
The Final Conflict
The Flim Flam Man
The Mephisto Waltz
The Omen
Damien: Omen II
The Other
The Sand Pebbles
The Stripper
The Vanishing
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Von Ryan’s Express

Another genial method to make modern (concert) music popular: to place it in an excellent movie. Remember György Ligeti's "Atmosphères", "Kyrie" from "Requiem", "Lux Aeterna" (16 voices choir a cappella) in Stanley Kubrick's "2001 - A Space Odyssey".
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

If you are interested in playing contemporary film themes on piano, it is worth a look at the various volumes of piano arrangements published by Musicsales - eg, the 'Essential Film Themes' series. They seem to be compiled from various sources and the standard of the piano transcriptions does vary. Some are too oversimplified - but others are quite ingenious, and even challenging. I have used some pieces from the Musicsales books for my YouTube channel - but I always try to check the arrangements against the original soundtracks to make sure they are faithful transcriptions and do not leave too much out.
Hands

Post by Hands »

A little contribution. The persistent zither theme by Anton Karas for the movie The Third Man. Also known in Japan as the Ebisu Theme, because it was used in the Ebisu Beer commercials.
Karas_Harry Lime Theme from The Third Man.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

Hands wrote:A little contribution. The persistent zither theme by Anton Karas for the movie The Third Man. Also known in Japan as the Ebisu Theme, because it was used in the Ebisu Beer commercials.
Thanks very much, Hands.

For me, Karas's zither music for The Third Man is as big a star of the film as Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, or Valli.

One of the very best movies ever. "Dere vas a tird man".

jeremy