The Russian / Soviet Piano Concerto

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Russian / Soviet Piano Concerto

Post by caostotale »

I've still not found any info on this composer, but would very much like to. This is his two-piano arrangement of a piano concerto from the 1970s. His publications date from the 1960s-1980s and include the previously seen sonata, this piece, a very busy-looking string quartet, and a sonata for cello and piano. Inscribed at the top of this work:

"to the memory of Natasha and Herman Galinin"

Grigori Solomonovich ZINGER (SINGER)
Piano Concerto (2-piano arrangement) (1977)
Zinger - Piano Concerto (piano red., 1977).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by caostotale on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

caostotale wrote:I've still not found any info on this composer, but would very much like to. This is his two-piano arrangement of a piano concerto from the 1970s. His publications date from the 1960s-1980s and include the previously seen sonata, this piece, a very busy-looking string quartet, and a sonata for cello and piano. Inscribed at the top of this work:

"to the memory of Natasha and Herman Galinin"

Grigori Solomonovich ZINGER
Piano Concerto (2-piano arrangement) (1977)
Zinger - Piano Concerto (piano red., 1977).pdf
Here's a Google translation of some biographical information I came across on the net:

-------------------------------------
Singer, Gregory Solomonovich
b. May 14, 1913 in Harbin. Pianist and composer. Private music lessons took from HH Sazhin, V. Dillon, BM Lazarev, M. Paci. In 1933-1942 Shanghai symphony soloist. ork. In 1935-1941 pianist and conductor factory record "Pate" in Shanghai. In 1941-1946 hands. muses. Department radio TASS "Voice of the Motherland" in Shanghai. In 1945-1946 Professor Shanghai cons. by cl. FP. In 1948-1952 soloist and accompanist Ivanovo Philharmonic. In 1952-1958 Musical Ensemble owls. Opera WTO. In what is a concert pianist-accompanist.

Op.: For soloists, chorus and opk. - Twenty-eight of the cantata (poem by Mikhail Svetlov, 1943) for narrator, voice and opk. - In Memoriam (lyrics O. Bergholz, 1944), for narrator, chorus and orchestra. - The Paris Commune (1970) for orchestra. - Painting-Poem (1952), a poem (1958), for piano n. and orchestra. - Prelude, Fugue and Allegro (1940), Concerto (1968), for vlch. and stone. ork. - Adagio and Allegro (1968), Fantasia on the theme music for the play Prokofiev's "Egyptian Nights" (1970) strings. Quartets - № 1 (1936), № 2 (1950), № 3 (1958), for Skr. and piano. - Tape and Allegro (1937), Aria (1947), for vlch. and piano. - Sonata № 1 (1944), № 2 (1946) for clarinet and piano. - Suite (1937) for double bass and piano. - Recitative and Burlesque (1967) for voice and piano n. - Oath of Moscow (1941), songs on the next. D. Vladimirova, M. Levashov, N. Razgovorova, music for circus performances and radio shows, arr. cum. songs, including 60 French. songs for voice and piano. (1959), p-n. plays, concert transcription for two pianos Mfr. Liszt, Johann Strauss, Rachmaninov, Khachaturian, to shift. 8 Rachmaninov songs for voice and piano. Trio (1950), restoration of copyright libretto score music for the play Prokofiev's "Eugene Onegin" (1970) instrumentation Fantasia Scriabin for piano n. and orchestra. (1970).
-----------------------------------------
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Wow, thank you for that, Jim! I had no idea he had composed that many works. I suppose we could consider these recent posts an extremely quiet sort of centennial celebration :?
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

caostotale wrote:Wow, thank you for that, Jim! I had no idea he had composed that many works. I suppose we could consider these recent posts an extremely quiet sort of centennial celebration :?
Thanks for bringing this interesting composer to light. I posted a solo piano piece of his in the Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3 section.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Judging on the large amount of piano music his composer wrote, I'm very surprised at his complete obscurity, though I suppose he'll have to wait in line behind others like Anatoly Alexandrov and Oleg Eiges. If anyone's played his works, I'd be curious to hear an appraisal of his composing. This piece is specified as the 'first' concerto. I'm not sure if there are others. One publisher boasts that wrote something like 30 sonatas, although I've only seen evidence of just over half that number (unless he wrote a ton of unpublished ones like John White or Merab Gagnidze):

Dmitri Alekseyevich TOLSTOY (TOLSTOI)
Piano Concerto no. 1, op. 44 (1968)
Tolstoy - Piano Concerto no. 1, op. 44 (1968).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

edit: request no longer applies
Last edited by caostotale on Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Here's Boris Tschaikovsky's Piano Concerto. NMS, but I did convert it to a user-friendly (PDF) format.
Tchaikovsky, Boris_Piano Concerto.pdf
There's a recording on Youtube, sadly split into five parts. Here's a link to the uploaders channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/nkhondzinsky/videos
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scriabinoff »

Jim Faston wrote:Here's Boris Tschaikovsky's Piano Concerto. NMS, but I did convert it to a user-friendly (PDF) format.
There's a recording on Youtube, sadly split into five parts. Here's a link to the uploaders channel.
My Naxos CD recording of it also has it split into 5 separate tracks.
This I can post, since they make it available (obviously I cannot put the audio up). Nice liner/program notes (w/ bio) about the work.
Boris Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Signs of the Zodiac Insert (Naxos).pdf
Many thanks for sharing this!
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Scriabinoff wrote:
Jim Faston wrote:Here's Boris Tschaikovsky's Piano Concerto. NMS, but I did convert it to a user-friendly (PDF) format.
This I can post, since they make it available (obviously I cannot put the audio up). Nice liner/program notes (w/ bio) about the work.
Boris Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Signs of the Zodiac Insert (Naxos).pdf
Glad you're enjoying this and thanks for the Naxos liner notes. The five movements being uploaded to Youtube as separate files is really only a minor inconvenience for downloading.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scriabinoff »

Jim Faston wrote:
Scriabinoff wrote:
Glad you're enjoying this and thanks for the Naxos liner notes. ...
Indeed I am. Nifty 8-) work this is.

Bonus reading, in case folks are interested in a different bio with some info not really unpacked the same way in the insert (this one with cited sources for those that would like further reading). Thanks to the kids over at Grove c/o Oxford....

"Chaykovsky, Boris Aleksandrovich

(b Moscow, 10 Sept 1925; d 7 Feb 1996 ). Russian composer. He studied the piano with Oborin and composition with Myaskovsky, Shebalin and Shostakovich. During the last years of his life he taught in the composition department of the Gnesin Academy of Music in Moscow. He is one of the chief representatives of the so-called second generation, having inherited and developed the traditions of Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Lyadov, and especially Musorgsky, as well as having been influenced by Shostakovich. Characteristic of his style is a blending of the intellectual and the lyrical, and of philosophical profundity and refinement. His technique synthesizes classical devices and contemporary resources; after forays into serialism (in the Chamber Symphony) and polystylism (in the Second Symphony) he returned to tonal and programmatic methods, though often in unusual ways. His uniquely Russian style comes close to that of Myaskovsky; his music is distinguished by vivid ideas, temperament and dynamism. A characteristic peculiarity of his technique is to use pithy, simple themes and then to transform them in a complex way by means of thematic development, polyphonic devices and ostinatos which propel the argument forward. These methods often result in compressed one-movement works. The orchestral music is marked by seriousness of conception and individuality in resolving complex compositional problems. Overt thematic simplicity distinguishes the violin and cello concertos, the quartets, and his vocal works. The cycles to texts by Lermontov, Pushkin, Tyutchev and Zabolotsky are remarkable for their lyricism and their refined manner. The interpreters of Boris Chaykovsky's works include Samuil Samosud, Aleksandr Gauk, Vladimir Fedoseyev and the Borodin Quartet.

Bibliography

Yu. Yevdokimova : ‘Boris Chaykovsky i yego vtoraya simfoniya’ [Chaykovsky and his second symphony], SovM (1970), no.2, pp.26–34

G. Grigor′yeva : ‘Instrumental′nïye kontsertï Borisa Chaykovskogo’ [The instrumental concertos of Chaykovsky], Muzïka i sovremennost′, x (1976), 17–32

Boris Chaykovsky: notograficheskiy spravochnik [Chaykovsky: catalogue of works] (Moscow, 1982) [pubn of Vsesoyuznoye agentstvo po avtorskim pravam, Moscow]

A. Grigor′yeva and A. Golovin : ‘O muzïke Borisa Chaykovskogo’ [On the music of Chaykovsky], SovM (1985), no.10, pp.8–15

T. Fedchenko : ‘Svet dukhovnosti: muzïka Borisa Chaykovskogo’ [A world of spirituality: the music of Boris Chaykovsky], Muzïka iz bïrshego SSSR, ii, ed. V. Tsenova (Moscow, 1996), 93–111

Galina Grigor′yeva
"