China Japan and the Far East

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Hands

Re: China Japan and the Far East

Post by Hands »

The truth is that most of the Chinese composers are probably still alive or recently deceased, since the piano is not indigenous to Chinese Music, and is only recently introduced to it. Problem is it is difficult to come by these piano works by Chinese composers even in the far east, unless, like Chen Yi, who resides in the US and her works are published by Western presses. And many of them would benefit by exposure to Western musicians.

I will avoid posting entire albums if they are from western presses.

Much of Chinese Music is heavily influenced by folk elements, from different areas of China. Like this one....

Shih Fu_Kashgar Dance
Shih Fu_Kashgar Dance.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Post by rob »

Hands wrote:The truth is that most of the Chinese composers are probably still alive or recently deceased, since the piano is not indigenous to Chinese Music, and is only recently introduced to it. Problem is it is difficult to come by these piano works by Chinese composers even in the far east, unless, like Chen Yi, who resides in the US and her works are published by Western presses. And many of them would benefit by exposure to Western musicians.

I will avoid posting entire albums if they are from western presses...
Thanks 'Hands'. This is eminently sensible.
Hands

Post by Hands »

East meets West.

2 Preludes and Fugues.
Chen Ming-Chih_Prelude and Fugue No.1 (New Spring).pdf
Chen Ming-Chih_Prelude and Fugue No.2 (Folk Songs and Dance).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hands

Post by Hands »

The West has Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Hero and Leander, etc - the star-crossed lovers. China has Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai, aka The Butterfly Lovers.

Here is a piano adaptation of the popular Violin Concerto by Ho Zhan-Hao and Chen Gang. The adaptation is by Sun Yi-lin, a piano accompanist and composer with the China Broadcasting Artistic Troupe.
Sun Yi-Lin_The Romance of Butterfly Lovers.pdf
scanaholic

Post by scanaholic »

Thanks Hands. That reminds me, I have the violin-piano reduction by Guan Sheng You AND the original orchestral score of the Butterfly Lovers Concerto, if anybody is interested I can dust off my scanner and do it this weekend.
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Ma shui Long-A sketch of the rainy harbour (nms)
Oren
Ma shui Long-A sketch of the rainy harbour.pdf
struwwelpeter
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by struwwelpeter »

scanaholic wrote:Thanks Hands. That reminds me, I have the violin-piano reduction by Guan Sheng You AND the original orchestral score of the Butterfly Lovers Concerto, if anybody is interested I can dust off my scanner and do it this weekend.
I'd love to see the violin/piano reduction! That would be very generous of you. :)
Alex
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Alex »

I played a lot of this music today. I particularly enjoyed the collection of pieces by "Ting Shang-Te". My girlfriend is from China, so I was excited to show her this newly found music. Apparently, she knows the composer, and he actually taught both of her parents at the Shanghai Conservatory!!! Also, his name is actually Ding Shande (Or Shande Ding to be Western) and more info can be found here:
http://www.naxos.com/composerinfo/Shande_Ding/24307.htm

Does anyone have more piano music from this exceptional composer?
selingzhang

Post by selingzhang »

oren segev wrote:Wencheng- Autumn Moon Over A Calm Lake (arr by Chen Pei-Xun.)

Oren
Hey Oren,

It's an awesome piano piece! Such an amazing Cantonese muisc!!! It's a folk song Chen peixun is an editor actually.(I believe you know :D)
How can you found it and translate the title in English? I'm a Cantonese I grown up with those kind of music. I'm really into it, not only the unique music also the life style. I never expected to find any Chinese music in america! It's reaaaally exciting!
Awesome! I appreciate you posted it!
Seling Zhang
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Another interesting piece
Huang- Night-Poem no.2
Oren
Huang- Night-Poem no.2.pdf