The Music of Brazil

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
alegitor
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Villa-Lobos.. who added the glissando

Post by alegitor »

alfor wrote:If I remember correctly, Rubinstein himself mentions in his memoirs that it was him who added this glissando (I don't know whether he premiered the cycle, but he definitely was one of the first pianists to perform it).
Neither do I know, if Rubinstein ever published any of his own compositions, but he revised de Falla (reported by Harriet Cohen) and considerably thinned out the text of Albeniz' Iberia - which found the approval of the composer, who is reported to have done the same! And - reported by Darius Milhaud - he was able to play by heart (!) a lot of modern orchestral works on the piano!
Alfor,

I don't know what are your sources for what you wrote about Albeniz having approved a revised text of his Iberia by Rubinstein ... That seems quite uncertain to me, and I even doubt whether the young Rubinstein (21 years old when Albeniz finished his Iberia) could have known the original Iberia at that point. Albeniz died in 1909, shortly after completing his Iberia in 1908.

Regards.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: The Music of Brazil

Post by alfor »

It is in the first volume of Rubinstein's memoirs. He was a good friend of Albeniz' widow and it was she, who approved his modifications in Iberia and confirmed that her husband had done similar changes.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

For fans of the music of Heitor Villa-Lobos, it probably is not commonly known that eight of his pieces were recorded for the Welte-Mignon reproducing piano system in the mid 1920's. These appeared on four rolls (two pieces on each) and all were performed by pianist Alfredo Oswald. Years ago I was able to borrow and record three of these eight rolls and convert them to midi listening files (with full Welte dynamics). The serial numbers of the rolls and pieces thereon are listed below, and the midi files are appended. Enjoy!

Welte-Mignon Roll No. 6747
Branquinha (Little White Porcelain Doll)
Moreninha (Little Creole Doll Of Papier-Mache)

Welte-Mignon Roll No. 6748
Caboclinha (Little Brazilian Indian Doll Of Terra Cotta) ,,,,this is my favorite from the suite
Mulatinha (Little Mulatto Doll Of Rubber)

Welte-Mignon Roll No. 6749

Negrinha (Little Negro Doll Of Wood)
Pobresinha (The Poor Rag Doll)

All best,

Frank Himpsl
Villa-Lobos - 6747a.mid
Villa-Lobos - 6748a.mid
Villa-Lobos - 6749a.mid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Two works by composers, I know little about [any help here Ilu]? But both enjoyable works to play.

Da Cunha - Sertaneja Op 15 and de Lima - Fado-Fantasia Op 41

Malcolm
de Lima T - Fado-Fantasia Op.41.pdf
Da Cunha A - Sertaneja Op.15.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Malcolm:

Da Cunha ( 1846-1913), is at IMSL:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Itiber%C ... s%C3%ADlio

I have his biography in Portugues, so I translated into English (please forgive some mistakes):

He was a Brazilian Diplomat, he was born in Paranaguá, Brazil. . He attended primary school in her homeland and her musical debut was at the piano, learning on her parents' home.
Already renowned pianist in his youth moved to Sao Paulo to attend law school. After obtainning a BA in Law joins diplomatic career serving in the diplomatic corps in several countries as: Italy, Peru, Belgium, Paraguay and Germany. While the music aside, Brasílio had friendly relations with some of the greatest pianists of his time, as Anton Rubinstein, and Liszt Sgambatti.
Considered one of the pioneers of nationalism, was among the first to draw on popular subjects in print and his work features distinctive Brazilian. He composed chamber music and choir, plus parts piano.
His Rhapsody Sertaneja popularized, especially by the famous song "Balaio, baby, Balaio." His best known composition is undoubtedly "The Sertaneja" 1869. He was appointed ambassador to Portugal, but died before assuming the role . He died in the German capital on August 11, 1913.

Tomas de Lima is quite a challenge, let me try!

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
Igod82

Post by Igod82 »

Well a fantasy on a Fado is interesting. I just recieved through loan Rey Colaco's Fados for piano. The fado is a old type of music still sung in portugal, it is very nice music, in particular I like Mariza. This da lima guy might be from Portugal??? Even though it was published in Brazil, the Colaco fados also were published in Rio. Interestingly it seems Brazil had better publishing houses than portugal even back then, as all the recent editions of piano music from portugal seem to be MIA, and impossible to find, for instance the good amount of music of Lopes-Graca (by find I mean purchase).
Alkan81

Post by Alkan81 »

Looking for a Prole do bebê 2 by Villa-Lobos!!!
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebe v1
Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebe v2
Oren
Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebé, v1.pdf
Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebe v2.pdf
Alkan81

Post by Alkan81 »

oren segev wrote:Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebe v1
Villa-Lobos Prole do Bebe v2
Oren
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk

Iberia: Piano Music from Spain & Portugal

Post by arglmann »

Hello everyone,

of the many pieces of Ernesto Nazareth I would like to see the piece "FonFon";
unfortunately, IMSLP has only a recording of this.
Could someone please help me?

Thank you in advance,
Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.