Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Music of Brazil

Post by ilu »

Jim:

Thank you for the scores and for the link.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

What wonderful discoveries on this website.

I just bought Nelson Freire's the last disc. He plays Brazilian music on it. I was particularly impressed by the tango Brasiliero by Alexandre Levy, which Milhaud extensively quotes in Le Boeuf sur le Toit. Anyone knows how I can get the score ? I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Many Thanks.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Some info on A. Levy:

http://nando.oui.com.br/1994/11/10/alex ... brasileiro

Some more music by A. LEVY and his brother Luiz (Luis):
nms:
Levy, A. Var. on Brazilian themes.pdf
Levy, L. 1st Brazilian Rhapsody.pdf
Levy, L. 2nd Brazilian Rhapsody op.29.pdf
Levy, L. Tango Burlesco op.28.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

If you are interested in other composers of this region:

http://www.geocities.jp/latinamericapia ... x_eng.html

P.S. Maybe the japanese ZEN-ON edition of piano works by Alexandre LEVY (includes the Tano Brasileiro) is still available.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.

Post by Paddys »

Such a pity that the Ponteios of Guarneri are still under copyright.

P.
quercus
Site Admin

Post by quercus »

Paddys, I couldn't tell from your post if you're looking for the Ponteios or just lamenting that they're not more widely available. If you need a copy, send me a personal message and I'll try to help.

- Bill
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Cosme, Luiz
Cosme.jpg
(b Pôrto Alegre, 9 March 1908; d Rio de Janeiro, 17 July 1965). Brazilian composer and writer. Born into a family of musicians he was taught the violin at home. At the Pôrto Alegre Conservatory he studied harmony with Assuero Garritano and in 1927 he went to the USA where he obtained a fellowship from the Cincinnati Conservatory. There he studied for two years under Robert Perutz (violin) and Wladimir Bakaleinikoff (composition). Before returning to Brazil he spent several months in Paris familiarizing himself with French Impressionism and its counter-current represented by Satie and Les Six. He lived in Pôrto Alegre until 1932 and then moved to Rio de Janeiro. During the 1940s and 50s he worked at the National Library as a consultant in music librarianship, and wrote regular music programmes for the radio station of the Ministry of Education. The Academia Brasileira de Música elected him a member on its foundation in 1945.

Cosme’s few works were all written during the period 1930–50. His early pieces were piano miniatures, solo songs and chamber works. His first important work, the String Quartet no.1 (1933), is devoid of national influences, but clearly impressionistic in its timbral effects. Yet indigenous tendencies are skilfully combined with contemporary techniques in his most significant orchestral work, the ballet Salamanca do Jaráu (1935) which is based on a legend of Spanish origin. The local colour is enhanced by the use of a motif from the most popular song of the state of Rio Grande do Sul, Boi barroso. The work elaborates such popular melodic elements within a modern harmonic structure. Its rhythmic vitality is often reminiscent of Stravinsky’s early ballets, and several passages still show Cosme’s kinship with French Impressionism, whether in long harmonic pedals, parallel chords or pentatonicism. Nevertheless, its national character remains quite clear.

During the 1940s Cosme studied the works of Schoenberg, Berg and Webern. He attempted to evade tonality in such works as Três manchas and Madrugada no campo, and he freely used the 12-note method, without concealing his interest in national subjects, in the ballet O lambe-lambe. His last work was Novena à Senhora da Graça, based on a poem in nine sections by Teodomiro Tostes. The unorthodox use of dodecaphonic techniques here appears free of nationalist influences. In this work Cosme tried to ‘unite the contents of the poem to music, word, and gesture’, but chose a simple rhythmic narration of the poem rather than setting it in Sprechgesang, as he had first intended. Cosme turned his attention to the aesthetics and history of music during the last 15 years of his life, writing several books, monographs and a music dictionary.

Writings
Manuel de classificação e catalogação de discos musicais (Rio de Janeiro, 1949)
Música e tempo (Rio de Janeiro, 1952)
Horizontes de música (Rio de Janeiro, 1953)
Introdução à música (Rio de Janeiro, 1954)
Dicionário musical (Rio de Janeiro, 1957)
Música de câmara (Rio de Janeiro, 1959)
Reflexões sobre a música brasileira (Rio de Janeiro, 1964)

Bibliography
L.H.C. de Azevedo: ‘Luiz Cosme’, Música viva, i/5 (1940), 1
G. Béhague: ‘Luiz Cosme (1908–65): impulso creator versus conciencia formal’, YIAMR, v (1969), 67–89
G. Béhague: Music in Latin America: an Introduction (Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1979)
V. Mariz: História da música no Brasil (Rio de Janeiro, 1981, 4/1994)

Gerard Béhague
didi

Post by didi »

Hi Scriabinoff

thanks for the Cosme scores!

I can contribute this dissertation

BR // Didi
luis cosme.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
worov

Post by worov »

Villa-Lobos : Guia Pratico Album 11 (not my scan):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7uchul
Last edited by worov on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
worov

Post by worov »

Villa-Lobos : Guia Pratico Album 10 (not my scan) :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zz96er