The Music of Brazil

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Hands

The Music of Brazil

Post by Hands »

There is no Brazilian thread yet, but I am not starting one because this is a re request, and I have nothing to contribute towards a new Brazilian thread.

Still looking for music by Nepomuceno ( other than those available on IMSPL). Anyone can help?
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: The Music of Brazil

Post by rob »

Hands wrote:There is no Brazilian thread yet...
There is now.
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

Hands wrote:There is no Brazilian thread yet, but I am not starting one because this is a re request, and I have nothing to contribute towards a new Brazilian thread.

Still looking for music by Nepomuceno ( other than those available on IMSPL). Anyone can help?
Hello Hands
I checked the I mslp itoms and i hope i didnt miss some
Those i have to add hope it will help you
Nepumoceno - Batuque.pdf
Nepomuceno - Prece (piano) (obra postuma - 1887).pdf
Nepomuceno_13-4_Galhofeira.pdf
Oren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hands

Post by Hands »

Thanks Oren for posting the Batuque.
oren segev
Pianophiliac

Post by oren segev »

Hands wrote:Thanks Oren for posting the Batuque.
You arae welcome Hands
Oren
naturlaut
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by naturlaut »

Does anyone have Leopoldo Miguéz's Op. 20, Souvenir? The files are locked at IMSLP.
Oberon Smith

Villa-Lobos.. who added the glissando

Post by Oberon Smith »

While listening to some recordings, of Villa-Lobos's Polichinello, I have noticed that two pianists have added a glissando to the end, that is not on the score. It is decidedly effective, but, not what is written. My hunch is that Rubinstein added to the piece, but, the power that be here, may know better.... Thank you... Oberon

PS.... I was just treated to a wonderful recording of the Liszt Hungarian Phantasy, stopped me dead in my tracks, when I heard the Ganz Changes. I was pleasantly surprised to learn, that the pianist, was a student of a Ganz Student. Which has added to my unanswered question here, " what is the current attitude to changes made to your score, when you have had a great teacher?" I know how it was handled in the past, but, what is the current "trend" in thought. Oberon
alfor
Pianodeity

Re: Villa-Lobos.. who added the glissando

Post by alfor »

If I remember correctly, Rubinstein himself mentions in his memoirs that it was him who added this glissando (I don't know whether he premiered the cycle, but he definitely was one of the first pianists to perform it).
Neither do I know, if Rubinstein ever published any of his own compositions, but he revised de Falla (reported by Harriet Cohen) and considerably thinned out the text of Albeniz' Iberia - which found the approval of the composer, who is reported to have done the same! And - reported by Darius Milhaud - he was able to play by heart (!) a lot of modern orchestral works on the piano!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

thank you ... alfor.....I guess my little gray cells are still working. It is something Rubinstein would do. I know he was a friend and great promoter of Villa-Lobos's music. I know he did not premier the work, but performed it often. Who else could get away with playing " a doll suite"..LOLOLOLOL.... Oberon
nickus

Post by nickus »

Rubinstein premiered the work, but he dropped a movt and reversed the order of the last 2 movements so it ends with O polichinello. Most pianists repeat the piece (which is not originally in the score) and add a glissando, a trend which Rubinstein started.