Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.]

Post by mballan »

bingo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:15 am
ilu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:55 am I request the administrator to tell me if the Vaja Azarashvili's nocturne is free domain?

Thank you.
Composer is still alive.... but a lot of his music is available on places like https://notes.tarakanov.net/katalog/kom ... age=1!str=

OR

http://buy-sheet-music.me4u.biz/
In most cases, I would not allow this as in copyright - but as a number of works by the composer are on the National Georgian Library site - then I feel less pressured on allowing me to post the Nocturne ! Surprised it has not been posted previously with all the other Georgian scores I have shared on PP.

Malcolm

Azarashvili V - Nocturne.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StrangeSeer
Participant
Music Scores: No

Post by StrangeSeer »

bingo wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:15 am
ilu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:55 am I request the administrator to tell me if the Vaja Azarashvili's nocturne is free domain?

Thank you.
Composer is still alive.... but a lot of his music is available on places like https://notes.tarakanov.net/katalog/kom ... age=1!str=

OR

http://buy-sheet-music.me4u.biz/
Thank you so much, I'll check those sites out.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Bingo:

Thank you.
Quo melius Illac
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

After a long search, Jim found Azarashvili's gorgeous Nocturne and posted it here not quite 10 years ago. It has 190 downloads:

viewtopic.php?p=23479#p23479

From my post above:

"A coupe of typos in the score:

On the last page, four measures from the end, there should be a bass clef in front of the left hand Bb octave, making it Db. And then a G clef for the remaining three chords in the left hand.

And on the first page, third line, third measure, surely that E# in the right hand is a typo, isn't it? I checked the quartet score that Jim so kindly posted and it shows an F#. My friend is sending me the original score for Flute, Clarinet, and Piano, which I'll also check. (Or is there some strange Georgian modal scale that goes Eb, E#, G?)"

I've enjoyed playing it ever since:

https://app.box.com/s/jvc5v3pirmqce5d2umij

jeremy
alfredus
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, flute, organ

Post by alfredus »

bingo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:05 pm I would be more cautious about referring to the pure songs as fantasies on the songs. There are 120+ of his songs on the site I referenced above, and they are the works that any fantasies are based upon.

I re-engraved well over 100 of his works during lockdown, so became very familiar with his output.

In addition to the standard piano-vocal versions there are many Russian solo-piano arrangements in the common collections, plus the composer's personal solo arrangements, and then the great variety of "fantasies", two-piano, jazz ensemble and concertante arrangements on a few of the popular works. Some are by Babajanyan and some by contemporary arrangers.

As an aside, he has some songs of the same name, but are the result of partnerships with different lyricists: some Armenian, some other Soviet/Russian nationals.
Glad to see someone else has gone down this rabbit hole as well! It would seem that the scores to the fantasies were likely mislaid... I've considered transcribing Zhilin's arrangement, but I don't think it scratches the same itch as the original fantasy.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

alfredus wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:01 am
Glad to see someone else has gone down this rabbit hole as well! It would seem that the scores to the fantasies were likely mislaid... I've considered transcribing Zhilin's arrangement, but I don't think it scratches the same itch as the original fantasy.
I think that because Babajanyan was often the (lead) performer of his works with his own ensembles that he may simply have had lead sheets rather than written out scores

In fact there is a 1992 collection of "Favourite Melodies" by him that is just such a "fake book".
alfredus
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, flute, organ

Post by alfredus »

bingo wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:15 am
alfredus wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:01 am
I think that because Babajanyan was often the (lead) performer of his works with his own ensembles that he may simply have had lead sheets rather than written out scores

In fact there is a 1992 collection of "Favourite Melodies" by him that is just such a "fake book".
That's entirely possible (I'm sure such a thing would have been very easy for Babadjanyan)... Would be nice to see transcriptions of his fantasies on Пока я помню and верни мне музыку in particular.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

alfredus wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:21 am
That's entirely possible (I'm sure such a thing would have been very easy for Babadjanyan)... Would be nice to see transcriptions of his fantasies on Пока я помню and верни мне музыку in particular.
I've shared his piano solo arrangement of the latter (Give me back the music) :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=278&p=38361&hilit= ... ive#p38361
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Some new goodies from the Georgian National Library.
Anon - 'Life of a Boarder' Waltz.pdf
Dzhandieri M - Lezginka.pdf
Karashvili A - Davlur & Lekur (Kerer).pdf
Koronienko A - 'Yuza' Waltz (Shuman).pdf
Niniev L - 'Antara' Dance (1957).pdf
Taktakishvili S - Theme & Ten Variations (1955).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Malcolm:

Thank you, interesting scores for the weekend.
Quo melius Illac