Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.]

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.]

Post by mballan »

divinevillain wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:26 pm hi all!

first-time poster, super excited to go hunt around and find new keyboard pieces. i'm also new to forums in general, so please bear with me, i'm gen-z age so my idea of internet etiquette is likely different than the average user on here.

basically: i've been on an arno babajanian kick lately, having discovered his nocturne by a former piano lit professor of mine. i was wondering if anyone had a copy of his "fantasy of dum spiro spero" lying around, my brother and i were listening to his fantasies and we collectively had a moment of awe with this one in particular. the ensemble backing the piano is just so smooth!!! i searched on here and doesn't seem like anyone's mentioned it yet, maybe it's never been notated or something. i'm linking a recording below for reference, if anyone has a pdf they can share or knows someone who's a super transcriber and can get me in touch with them, i'd be really grateful.

thanks in advance!
Hi divinevillain - welcome to Pianophilia. I am the 'Russian' music expert on the site including all the ex-Soviet countries.

Although I have a fair representation of scores by Babazhanyan, his Fantasties have always been fairly hard to locate. They are not 'fantasies' in the conventional sense but are actually elaborations of his songs. I have attached the version of the one you have listed - but it is the voice & piano version not the band version (the work is one of Babazhanyan's most popular songs).

The other key issue at the moment is that because of the Russian / Ukrainian war, it is extremely difficult trying to obtain scores from the area as the current sanctions mean it is almost impossible to purchase copies of scores unless free.

I did undertake a search in Russian - and this was the only version I could find. Although FredB is correct as it is covered by copyright, it seems to be readily available on various Russian sites.

Hope that helps ?

Malcolm

Babadzhanyan A - Fantasy on the song theme 'As Long as I remember'.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
divinevillain
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, harpsichord, organ
Music Scores: No

Post by divinevillain »

mballan wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:05 pm
divinevillain wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:26 pm hi all!

first-time poster, super excited to go hunt around and find new keyboard pieces. i'm also new to forums in general, so please bear with me, i'm gen-z age so my idea of internet etiquette is likely different than the average user on here.

basically: i've been on an arno babajanian kick lately, having discovered his nocturne by a former piano lit professor of mine. i was wondering if anyone had a copy of his "fantasy of dum spiro spero" lying around, my brother and i were listening to his fantasies and we collectively had a moment of awe with this one in particular. the ensemble backing the piano is just so smooth!!! i searched on here and doesn't seem like anyone's mentioned it yet, maybe it's never been notated or something. i'm linking a recording below for reference, if anyone has a pdf they can share or knows someone who's a super transcriber and can get me in touch with them, i'd be really grateful.

thanks in advance!
Hi divinevillain - welcome to Pianophilia. I am the 'Russian' music expert on the site including all the ex-Soviet countries.

Although I have a fair representation of scores by Babazhanyan, his Fantasties have always been fairly hard to locate. They are not 'fantasies' in the conventional sense but are actually elaborations of his songs. I have attached the version of the one you have listed - but it is the voice & piano version not the band version (the work is one of Babazhanyan's most popular songs).

The other key issue at the moment is that because of the Russian / Ukrainian war, it is extremely difficult trying to obtain scores from the area as the current sanctions mean it is almost impossible to purchase copies of scores unless free.

I did undertake a search in Russian - and this was the only version I could find. Although FredB is correct as it is covered by copyright, it seems to be readily available on various Russian sites.

Hope that helps ?

Malcolm

Babadzhanyan A - Fantasy on the song theme 'As Long as I remember'.pdf
hi malcolm (and @fredbucket and @bingo),

thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it! my brother sings as well as playing the piano (although he's a baritone so we'd have to move the notes much lower for his voice type) so maybe i can convince him to perform this version with me. any help is worth it though!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Here are the remaining 'fantasties' by Babadzhayan on his songs. A couple are purely piano solo, the other is for voice & piano (a competent pianist should be able to combine).

Happy New Year to one and all.

Malcolm

Babadzhanyan A - Fantasy on the song theme 'Call Me'.pdf
Babadzhanyan A - Fantasy on 'Give Me Back the Music'.pdf
Babadzhanyan A - Fantasy on the song theme 'Winter Love'.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

I would be more cautious about referring to the pure songs as fantasies on the songs. There are 120+ of his songs on the site I referenced above, and they are the works that any fantasies are based upon.

I re-engraved well over 100 of his works during lockdown, so became very familiar with his output.

In addition to the standard piano-vocal versions there are many Russian solo-piano arrangements in the common collections, plus the composer's personal solo arrangements, and then the great variety of "fantasies", two-piano, jazz ensemble and concertante arrangements on a few of the popular works. Some are by Babajanyan and some by contemporary arrangers.

As an aside, he has some songs of the same name, but are the result of partnerships with different lyricists: some Armenian, some other Soviet/Russian nationals.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Some recent postings from Georgian National Library.

Gordeli O - Sonatina (1961)_opt.pdf
Machavariani A - 'To Remember Pirosmani' Ballade for Piano (1978)_opt.pdf
Mizandari A - Melodie orientale & Lesghinka (Bessel) [slight damage]_opt.pdf
Satskali-Shvili - Georgian Dance for Piano (1974)_opt.pdf
Taktakishvili O - Five Piano Pieces (1953)_opt.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Next batch of works from Georgian National Library. Good to see more works by Mizandari as these seem to be extremely rare.

Niniyev L - Two Pieces for Piano (1992).pdf
Mizandari A - Deux Petite Valses for Piano (Tchetveroukhine).pdf
Mizandari A - Mazurka-Fantaisie for Piano (Bessel).pdf
Mizandari A - 'Souvenir d'Abastuman' Mazurka for Piano (Murimanian).pdf
Mizandari A - Pensée Fugitive (1867 new typeset).pdf
Diakvnishvili M - Six Pieces for Piano (1969).pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Final batch of works from Georgian National Library.

Malcolm
Eksanishvili E - Prelude & Etude for Piano (1984).pdf
Niniyev L - Five Pieces for Piano (1973).pdf
Five Pieces (Muzfond 1973)
1. Little Story
2. Fantastic Picture
3. Dance of the Horsemen
4. Sad Song
5. Tale of the Past
Mamisahvili N - Prelude, Choral & Fugue for Piano (1965).pdf
StrangeSeer
Participant
Music Scores: No

Post by StrangeSeer »

I've been on a Georgian piano binge for a couple of weeks, and have downloaded many scores. However, I am missing Vaja Azarashvili's nocturne. Does anyone have a score for it, or if not does anyone know where I could find a score for it?

Thank you!
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

I request the administrator to tell me if the Vaja Azarashvili's nocturne is free domain?

Thank you.
Quo melius Illac
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

ilu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:55 am I request the administrator to tell me if the Vaja Azarashvili's nocturne is free domain?

Thank you.
Composer is still alive.... but a lot of his music is available on places like https://notes.tarakanov.net/katalog/kom ... age=1!str=

OR

http://buy-sheet-music.me4u.biz/