Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.]

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music of the Caucasus [Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.

Post by Jim Faston »

The Elegy of Zakaria Paliashvili.
Paliashvili_Elegy.pdf
I didn't find this here (or anywhere else) so I reassembled the bits from a YouTube video into a file. If anyone has a better scan or any other of the Composer's works please share. From this Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3isdytvTY4

A number of interesting recordings of Georgian music, many with scrolling scores can be found on that user's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCop_Bl ... e_1MEE3-nw

There appears to be a Prelude from the same recording as the Elegy no scrolling score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBAgbEROb6U

Wikipedia bio:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacharia_Paliashvili
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

A nice little Nocturne in B-flat minor by Shaverzashvili, apparently from one of those ubiquitous Russian collections of student pieces. --nms-- This isn't the same Nocturne in B-flat minor that Chaos uploaded a while back. The editorial remarks at the end translate something like this:

Much attention should be paid to the accompaniment to achieve the fullness of the sound of each chord. In the right hand, the difficulty represents the approach to the climax, where the octave presentation of the melody fills the accompaniment chords.
Shaverzashvili_Nocturne in B-flat minor.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPal40qs6Y
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Anyone with the first Impromptu (B-flat major) of Eduard Abramian? Written in 1956 and published in 1957. We have the second in F-sharp minor (1969) courtesy of Chaos as well as a short one in C major in a volume of his children's pieces from 1969. (Also provided by Chaos.) Thanks.

Nice performance here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9-li4PPxk

Some info on the artist:
http://musicconservatoryny.com/ruzan-asatryan-piano/
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

The summer period is often quiet time on Pianophilia - all those members enjoying the summer sun (or not in my case) !!

A transcription of a work by Kiladze (bio below).

Malcolm

Grigory Varfolomeyevich Kiladze. Born 1902, Batumi : died 1962, Tbilisi. Georgian composer and conductor. Studied with Ryazanov and V. Shcherbachyov at the Leningrad Conservatoire from 1927-29, and then with Barkhudaryan and Ippolitov-Ivanov at the Tbilisi Conservatoire. Graduating in 1931, and subsequently joined its faculty. Was one of the founders of the Young Georgian Composers Society, and was one of the first Georgian composers to create symphonic music.

Khorumi from the opera 'Lado Ketskhoveli' - arr. Piano solo by Vasadze (1974)
Kiladze G - Khorumi from the opera 'Lado Ketskhoveli' - arr. Piano solo (Vasadze 1974).pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks for the Kiladze transcription, Malcomn! Not so quiet here that I can't enjoy pieces like this, as it's the rainy season here which means more time indoors in the afternoon. Now I want to hear the whole opera as what we have here sounds very well on the piano.
Witzelsucht
Instruments played, if any: Piano and the recorder a little bit ;)

Post by Witzelsucht »

Thank you very much indeed, Malcolm. The Kiladze was a most welcome and pleasant surprise, both because of the music itself, which is wondrous, and because of the Georgian language, which I recently started studying!
"ʻO ke alehulā ia, a ʻo ke kemowi ʻakekelo,
Ua kalaʻai a kāpoʻopoʻo ma ka makie,
Ua malāoa nā pōkūkū,
A kūhīhō nā poʻakaina ʻāiʻa."
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Thank you Fleubis - I'll see if I can find more to share with everyone.

Witzelsucht..................very impressed, Georgian is far from easy to learn, more akin to Arabic than any of the European languages.

An album of Georgian piano works, all by Aleksandr (Bidzina) Aleksandrovich Kvernadze. Born 1928, Signakhi, East Georgia; died 2010, Tbilisi. Studied composition with Balanchivadze at the Tbilisi Conservatoire, graduating in 1953. From 1953-1968 he taught in various schools in Tbilis, before joining the faculty of the conservatoire where he taught composition and instrumentation (professor in 1988). Primarily noted for his instrumental music and the two piano concertos.

To my knowledge this is all his works for piano. Translation of titles:

1. Burlesque
2. Improvisation
3. Comic Sketch
4. Poem
5. Musical moment No. 1
6. Musical moment No. 2
7. Musical moment No. 3
8. Humoresque
9. Ballade

Malcolm

PS: many thanks to Parag for cleaning this up for me.
Kvernadze A - Pieces for Piano (1986) (clean).pdf
Witzelsucht
Instruments played, if any: Piano and the recorder a little bit ;)

Post by Witzelsucht »

Thank you so much for that batch of Georgian musical gems, Malcolm! I particularly enjoyed the Poem and the Ballade. And even a preface in Russian and Georgian! 8-)

Learning Georgian is indeed, at least from the perspective of the speakers of most Indo-European languages, quite a challenge, but there's still a couple of things that make it actually easier on some fronts than most of them, too, like the lack of gender markers, even for pronouns! Like Chechen, Finnish, French and Icelandic, stress is fixed.
And I find its alphabet, მხედრული (mkhedruli), like the Arabic one, very beautiful. It has the same number of letters than the Russian one, but with a couple of sounds which are harder to get right.

Thank you once more!
Witzelsucht
"ʻO ke alehulā ia, a ʻo ke kemowi ʻakekelo,
Ua kalaʻai a kāpoʻopoʻo ma ka makie,
Ua malāoa nā pōkūkū,
A kūhīhō nā poʻakaina ʻāiʻa."
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Continuing are exploration of Georgian music, our next composer is Nikolay Ivanovich Gudiashvili. Born 1913, Tbilisi (haven't been able to locate a date for his death....although could still be alive). He graduated in 1937 from the Tbilisi Conservatoire, where he was a pupil of Barkhudaryan, and completed post-grad work with Ryazanov (1937-40). He joined the same faculty in 1937, associate professor in 1965 and full professorship in 1981.

I have always been fond of sets of 24 preludes - and discovered another set by this composer. I also have his two sonatas and sonatina, which I will share over the next few days.

Malcolm

PS: my grateful thanks to Parag who cleaned this work for me.
Gudiashvili N - Twenty-four Preludes for Piano (1981) [mhb-pm].pdf
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Thanks Malcolm. His dates look like 1913 – 1998. See this page:

https://www.georgian-music.com/portraits/composers