Composers from the Caribbean

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Composers from the Caribbean

Post by ilu »

Juan Morel Campos (1857-1896), born in Puerto Rico, famous composer.
(Maybe I uploaded this score in old PP).
Morel_C_Puerto_Rican_Danzas.pdf
ILU
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mod edit: This thread is dedicated to Caribbean composers, including Jamaica, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Curacoa, Haiti, Dominican Republic, and other Islands, and also the Guyana's as they share much in Caribbean culture. FB.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
ilu
Pianomaniac

Re: Composers from the Caribbean

Post by ilu »

This is an album of selected Puerto Rican Dances by Morel Campos, Perchez, Miranda, Mislan and Jimenez.
PUERTO RICO DANZAS- 4 ESCAN.doc
Puerto Rico and Cuba have extraordinary composers of dances.

I will try to post more scores, although this is not my line.

ILU

P.S. A comment will be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quo melius Illac
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

ilu wrote:This is an album of selected Puerto Rican Dances by Morel Campos, Perchez, Miranda, Mislan and Jimenez.
PUERTO RICO DANZAS- 4 ESCAN.doc
Puerto Rico and Cuba have extraordinary composers of dances.

I will try to post more scores, although this is not my line.

ILU

P.S. A comment will be appreciated.
Thanks alot Ilu
Here it is as pdf format
Oren
Morel C-Conversacion.pdf
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

ERNESTO LECUONA, THE MOST FAMOUS CUBAN COMPOSER:(Havana, 1896-Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain, 1963).
Excellent pianist, devoted most of his musical creativity with this instrument, with works that explode, so imaginative and original, Caribbean rhythms and melodies.
Born into a musical family, his beginnings in the composition were very early (he wrote his first song at age eleven). It has been their songs, rather than his instrumental music, which earned him the recognition of many music lovers. Among his vast output in this field include those entitled Andalucia, Malaguena, Always in my heart, The troupe, The chrysanthemum, butterfly and, above all, Siboney, his most remembered. Beside them, also deserve mention China zarzuelas Rosa Maria la O and The plantation, which was able to find his own style, independent of traditional models and Spanish with certain points of contact with the American musical comedy.

As I understand, his compositions are now public domain. If the Moderator agrees, I will be glad to post scores.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

ilu wrote:As I understand, his compositions are now public domain. If the Moderator agrees, I will be glad to post scores.
No, his works are still copyright and should not be uploaded.

Regards
Fred
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Ok, lets wait.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

ilu wrote:ERNESTO LECUONA, THE MOST FAMOUS CUBAN COMPOSER:(Havana, 1896-Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain, 1963).
Excellent pianist, devoted most of his musical creativity with this instrument, with works that explode, so imaginative and original, Caribbean rhythms and melodies.
Born into a musical family, his beginnings in the composition were very early (he wrote his first song at age eleven). It has been their songs, rather than his instrumental music, which earned him the recognition of many music lovers. Among his vast output in this field include those entitled Andalucia, Malaguena, Always in my heart, The troupe, The chrysanthemum, butterfly and, above all, Siboney, his most remembered. Beside them, also deserve mention China zarzuelas Rosa Maria la O and The plantation, which was able to find his own style, independent of traditional models and Spanish with certain points of contact with the American musical comedy.

ILU
I think Lecuona's masterpiece is Ante El Escorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-b4qjuHFqE

The middle section in G flat is just exquisite.

And for great fun, I like the very difficult-to-find piano solo version of Vals Azul.

There is a recording of Lecuona himself playing it, but Thomas Tirino only included the piano-flute version in his 5 CD set, not the piano solo version.

I wonder why.

jeremy
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

I hope nobody comes up with a composer from the Dutch Antillen. This could cause an exhausting revival of the discussion about composers from the low countries :):)
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Roeland wrote:I hope nobody comes up with a composer from the Dutch Antillen. This could cause an exhausting revival of the discussion about composers from the low countries :):)
What about Rhumba, Tumba & Calypso?
Quo melius Illac
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Roeland wrote:I hope nobody comes up with a composer from the Dutch Antillen. This could cause an exhausting revival of the discussion about composers from the low countries :):)
The Dutch Antilles consists of Curacao, Bonaire, Sint Eustation, Saba and Sint Maarten
The "father" of Curacaoan classical music was Jan Gerard Palm (1831-1906) who was the first to write music for the tumbas, there followed a succession of composers who wrote lots of waltzes, mazurkas etc.
Here are the main ones after Palm, which are not listed in Hollfelder, so I don't know if they wrote "serious music"
Chris Ulder
Joseph Corsen
Paul de Lima
Jacobo Conrad
Rudolph Palm
Charles Maduro
John Palm
Toni Palm
Jacob Palm
Albert Palm
Edgar Palm
Wim Muller
Robert Rojer
Rendal Corsen

now who has any music by them as Roeland is bursting to try it out (haha)
best wishes
Brian