Composers from the Caribbean

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
sgambatiesque

Re: Composers from the Caribbean

Post by sgambatiesque »

Thank you for the SAUMELL!

Aside from Lecuona, I was introduced to many of the Cuban pieces through Bebo Valdes' 2004 album "Bebo". I have been looking for sheet music for this for some years, and - with the exception of Cervantes & Lecuona - have been quite stumped in locating scores of Saumell Robredo, Garay, Martí and the like. I've written to performers of the music (no reply) and Cuban music stores (no reply).

So any of the pieces on here would be wonderful finds: http://www.amazon.com/Bebo-Manuel-Saume ... B000IHYWUO. I have all the Cervantes pieces, and now the Saumell Robredo. The composers listed, cross-referenced to tracks is:

Manuel Saumell Robredo 1,2
Ignacio Cervantes 3,4
Sindo Garay 5
José White 6
Eduardo Sánchez de Fuentes 7
Jorge Ankerman 8
Guillermo Castillo & Antonio Maria Romeu 9
Ernesto Lecuona 10,11,12
Ignacio Piñeiro 13
Moisés Simón 14
Silvestre Méndez 15
Bebo Valdés 16
Virgilio Martí 17

[EDIT: Cleaning up a typo]
Last edited by sgambatiesque on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

I am a bit stumped ... I was also told that Lecuona's music is not under copywrite laws. I have been searching for a copy of his "La Comparsa", great Tango. Personally, I used his "el mirinaque" as and encore, with great success, in years past. Surprising, that a wonderful pianist, with a flair for composing, is so neglected in books on piano literature. Oberon
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

Oberon Smith wrote:I am a bit stumped ... I was also told that Lecuona's music is not under copywrite laws. I have been searching for a copy of his "La Comparsa", great Tango. Personally, I used his "el mirinaque" as and encore, with great success, in years past. Surprising, that a wonderful pianist, with a flair for composing, is so neglected in books on piano literature. Oberon
Lecuona died in the 60s and is still under copyright.

I've had a good Hal Leonard collection of Lecuona for some years, which has La Comparsa etc. In fact, the first hit i got on google for "Lecuona piano music" was that collection: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Ern ... ic/2887633
Igod82

Post by Igod82 »

Lecuona's music is available and in a new edition which added 7 pieces. I would recommend getting that anthology. La Comparsa is not actually a Tango however, it is a Carnival Procession.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

In reference to Sgambatiesque's October post:
I don't think I have ANY Robredos - would you like to post some?

Just a thought.... :mrgreen:

Regards,
tobyjj
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

tobyjj wrote: I don't think I have ANY Robredos - would you like to post some?
j
His full surname, Latin-style is SAUMELL ROBREDO, and I got his Contradanzas from this list. Just go back a couple of pages..
GJF323
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by GJF323 »

Here is a site which has some nice editions; I just purchased the Cervantes edition PDF and it is excellent. It is a nice complement to my Cuban edition of Cervantes, having some pieces not in the Cuban edition and sans glossy pages (who thought that was a good idea?? Was that the product of some five-year plan??) Saumell Robredo is represented on the site but that volume is not ready yet.

http://www.cuatro40ediciones.com/

EDIT: Sorry - thought more about it - the Cuban print edition is Saumell Robredo not Cervantes.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Thankyou,
Saumel located and downloaded

regards,
tobyjj
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by quercus »

Oberon, send me a private message if you're still looking for La Comparsa.

- Bill
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Wasn't sure whether to post this link here, but it seems like the composer was of Cuban descent.

The Second Ballade by NR Espadero - looks like a work of some interest.

Thanks to Gallica for providing the source:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7 ... kan.langEN

I would be interested in people's thoughts.

Incidentally, a few other piano works by Espadero appear in Gallica's score collection.