Composers from South America (excl Brazil & Argentina)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from South America (excluding Brazil & Argenti

Post by Scriabinoff »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you Scriabinoff, but actually, this link had already been given in this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=274&p=19001&hilit=markoff#p19001
But it was not as explicit as your message.
Many thanks and sincere apologies! I must not have searched it correctly on my end. I'll make a small edit and leave my reply since it has a few more keywords to make it easy for folks in the future to find with a standard query. I am glad this is/was known about, it's a nice little collection, that "Dominican Rhapsody" in particular looks very nice.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Theodoro Valcarcel Caballero
Theodoro Valcarcel Caballero.jpg

(b Puno, Peru, 19 Oct 1900; d Lima, 20 March 1942). Peruvian composer. After a brief musical training in Arequipa with Luis Duncker Lavalle he went to Milan in 1914 where he studied with Appiani and Schieppatti, until the war forced him to return to Peru two years later. He was influenced by French Impressionism in some of his early piano pieces. Later he turned his attention to native music and this brought him recognition, and also nomination as the Peruvian representative at the Ibero-American Music Festival in Barcelona and Seville (1929). He remained in Europe for two years, and in 1930 he presented with Viñes a concert of his music at the Salle Pleyel to critical acclaim. From his return to Peru until his death he occupied several official positions within the cultural field.

Valcárcel belongs to the nationalist movement that emerged in Peru around 1920, when artists and musicians looked to folklore for source material, including pre-Columbian as well as mestizo traditions. By the beginning of the 20th century, folk music research in the Andean area had identified the pentatonic scale as a characteristic trait of what was called ‘Incaic music’. This allowed the nationalist composers to separate pre-Hispanic music from any other tradition.

In such strongly evocative works as the two symphonic suites (1939), two pieces for piano – Estampas del ballet Suray surita and Kachampa – and the symphonic poem En las ruinas del Templo del Sol (1940) Valcárcel achieved a very effective stylization of indigenous melodies and rhythms within a modern harmonic vocabulary. Numerous performances of his works were well received in Europe. He was one of the most successful Peruvian composers, described by Slonimsky as the ‘Stravinsky of Peru’, but his early death did not allow a full development of his talent. Rodolfo Holzmann was responsible for the orchestration of much of his work.

Bibliography

C. Raygada: ‘Panorama musical del Perú’, Boletín latinoamericano de música, ii (1936), 169–214

R. Holzmann: ‘Catálogo de las obras de Theodoro Valcárcel’, Boletín bibliográfico publicado por la biblioteca central de la Universidad mayor de San Marcos de Lima, xii (1942), 135–40

R. Holzmann: ‘Ensayo analítico de la obra musical del compositor peruano Theodoro Valcárcel’, Revista eco musical (Buenos Aires, 1943)

R. Barbacci: ‘Apuntes para un diccionario biográfico musical del Perú’, Fénix, no.6 (1949), 505

G. Chase: Introducción a la música americana contemporánea (Buenos Aires, 1958), 67

C. Raygada: ‘Guía Musical del Perú’, Fénix, no.14 (1964), 88

E. Pinilla: ‘Informe sobre le Música en el Perú’, Historia del Perú, ix, ed. J. Mejía Baca (Lima, 1980), 363–669

G. Béhague: La música en América Latina (Caracas, 1983)

E. Pinilla: ‘La música en el siglo XX’, La música en el Perú (Lima, 1985), 125–213

César Arróspide de la Flor/J. Carlos Estenssoro

Valcarcel ( - Caballero), Theodoro [1900-1942] - Danza del Combate (Kachampa).pdf (72.6 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!SA5hgBjY!I0aYOl1Wr ... blwLzKzisU

Montevideo (Uruguay) Editoral cooperativa interamericana de compositores [c1944]
Due to a poor BW attempt, I had to keep it high res GS for the score. Color Covers.

Audio (quite an attractive and 'unique' work, those familiar with traditional folk music of the region will definitely hear the connections)
http://youtu.be/CsQf6eQfIkM
'same piece' but the pianist seems to take some liberty, perhaps improvising on the standard pentatonic based tune, with the score, or he is simply playing another version of the piece ( I can find no other mention of a 2nd published work of this type for Varcarcel). The video describes the performance as 'based on his theme' so the improvisational approach to folk music of the type may well be the case, though again following with score may be a challenge the first time one listens, it gets easier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Bio info courtesy of Grove Music Dictionary subscription database.

Escobar, Luis Antonio
L.A.E..jpg
b Villapinzón, 14 July 1925; d Miami, 11 Sept 1993).

Colombian composer and writer on music. After two years at the Bogotá Conservatory, in 1947 he became a pupil of Nabokov at the Peabody Conservatory, Baltimore, then attended the Mozarteum in Salzburg and then studied with Blacher at the Hochschule für Musik in Berlin (1951–3). He served the Colombian government as consul in Bonn (1967–70) and was cultural attaché to the Consulate in Miami (1993).

In 1973 he and the poet Andres Holguín co-founded El Muro Blanco, a private cultural institute in Bogotá in which both taught. In 1974 he was awarded the national music prize by the Banco de Colombia. He visited the USA on a Guggenheim grant in 1975. Eight albums of his works were recorded by Colombian companies between 1956 and 1967.

Escobar cited the music of Blacher and Nabokov as influences on his style, and also the traditional rural music of Cundinamarca, his native region. His particular idiom combines a strong rhythmic presence with ingenious counterpoint, chromatic harmonies and traditional melodic patterns. The series of Bambuquerías is a clear example of his style.

Writings
La música en Cartagena de Indias (Bogotá, 1985)
La música precolombina (Bogotá, 1985)
La música en Santafé de Bogotá (Bogotá, 1987)
Herencia del quetzal (Bogotá, 1992)
Villapinzón (Bogotá, 1993)

Bibliography
Luis Antonio Escobar: hoja de vida y catálogo de sus obras (Bogotá, 1982)
D.A. Olsen: ‘The Ethnomusicology of Archeology: a Model for the Musical/Cultural Study of Ancient Material Culture’, Selected Reports in Ethnomusicology, viii (1990), 175–97
Robert Stevenson/Ellie Anne Duque
edit-sorry for mislabeled file. per file comments, SONATINA! not sonata.-s

Although he only 'recently' passed away, this score is quite old and thought to have been out of print for quite some time (and there appear to be no newer editions or other versions of the work available as of this post), posting as a rare score and example of style.
Escobar, Luis Antonio (1925-1993) - Sonata No 2.pdf
includes short (alt.) biography in Spanish/English.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scriabinoff on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,
Again - thanks Scriabinoff - see full text in other thread :!:

regards,
tobyjj
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Hello all,

Can anyone point me to Teresa Carreño's Op. 10 - Nocturne - Souvenirs de Mon Pays ? This is quite a nice piece and would make a nice addition to any collection! :) If you have or have seen the score, do kindly let me know.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

musiclife217 wrote:Hello all,

Can anyone point me to Teresa Carreño's Op. 10 - Nocturne - Souvenirs de Mon Pays ? This is quite a nice piece and would make a nice addition to any collection! :) If you have or have seen the score, do kindly let me know.
A lot of Carreño, but not what you are looking for:

http://www.iberoamericadigital.net/BDPI/Search.do
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

musiclife217 wrote:Hello all,

You might inquire here:
http://specialcollections.vassar.edu/ex ... index.html
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

Thank you both, I will see what is possible - it really is a lovely piece!
alfor
Pianodeity

Re: Composers from South America (excl Brazil & Argentina)

Post by alfor »

nms
Soro Capricho No.2.pdf
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: Composers from South America (excl Brazil & Argentina)

Post by phikfy »

Alfor,

Thanks for your recent posts in all these threads. Lots of rarities indeed. I can't wait to put all of them into my iPad.

Best,
phikfy