Composers from South America (excl Brazil & Argentina)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from South America (excl Brazil & Argentina)

Post by lutoslawski »

Light music from Armando Carrera (1899-1949) who made a living as a pianist for silent films.
Also posted some light valses from Rodolfo Lucero.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac

Post by lutoslawski »

This is again thankfully and readily available at the University of Chile and the National Library of Chile.
Here are some substancial works from chilean composers of the 20th century.
Diana pey (1922-1988) was born in spain. Her family made refuge in Chile after the Spanish Civil War and was teaching at the Chilean Conservatory until she was exiled from Chile (pinochet regime) to Miami, USA.

Juan Orrego Salas (1919-2019) was born in Santiago, Chile. He began his studies in composition in Chile with Pedro Humberto Allende and Domingo Santa Cruz. His music came to the attention of American composer Aaron Copland with whom he subsequently studied at Tanglewood in 1946 along with a group of Latin American composers that also included Roque Cordero, Alberto Ginastera, Julián Orbón and Héctor Tosar.

Becerra-Schmidt (1925-2010) was born in Temuco, studied in Santiago, and lived in Germany since 1973, where he taught at Oldenburg University since 1974. Becerra was a prolific Chilean composer. His catalogue includes hundreds of compositions that goes from the most traditional to the most avant-garde, from popular songs to large scale cantatas, symphonies and oratorios.

Carlos Botto (1923-2004) studied with Gustavo Becerra Schmidt, Juan Orrego Salas and Domingo Santa Cruz.

Carmela Makenna (1879-1962) was the aunt of composer Alfonso Leng. She studied music theory with Bindo Paoli in Santiago and continued her studies in piano and composition with Conrad Ansorge and Hans Mersmann in Berlin. in 1934 she made her debut as a composer in Berlin with Concerto for Piano and Orchestra. She was successful as both a pianist and composer in Europe, and is identified with expressionist style.

Cirilo Vila (1937-2015) studied composition with Alfonso Letelier (1954-1958) and Gustavo Becerra-Schmidt. Vila compositions were mixed. In popular music, this included transcriptions of songs by Víctor Jara and songs composed for the group Quilapayún. In the area of scholarly or experimental music, he has composed countless works premiered at major festivals of contemporary music in the country.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac

Post by lutoslawski »

More stuff from Enrique Soro..
Enrique Soro - Trois Petits Morceaux pour Piano.pdf
Enrique Soro - Suite Mignone.pdf
Enrique Soro - Scherzo no.3 .pdf
Enrique Soro - Romanza sin palabras.pdf
Enrique Soro - Recuerdo Tiempo de Vals.pdf
Enrique Soro - Recollections of Concepcion.pdf
Enrique Soro - Nocturne in do mag.pdf
Enrique Soro - Io sogno io piansi assai Romanza.pdf
Enrique Soro - Impresiones de New York 6 piezas caracteristicas.pdf
Enrique Soro - Cajita de musica.pdf
kroket
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by kroket »

Many thanks, Lutoslawski!
Greetings,
kroket
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Thanks a lot, Lutoslawski!
In Bach we trust.
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac

Post by lutoslawski »

Posted three more stuff at the Violin and Piano section!
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

lito valle wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:30 pm
burstroman wrote:Greetings: I would like to find some music of the Uruguayans Jaures Lamarque Pons and Luis cluzeau Mortet. Thank you
Even in Uruguay and Argentina Cluzeau Mortet's works are very hard to find. I re-wrote some of those works in Finale from very damaged scores from my private collection. Enjoy it. Saludos Lito

Search in IMSLP (8 works)

Cluzeau Mortet- Junto al fogón pno..pdfCluzeau Mortet- Milonga pno..pdfCluzeau Mortet- Escarcha pno..pdfCluzeau Mortet - Anocheciendo pno..pdf
I've set Cluzeau Mortet's 8 Primeras piezas criollas in Musescore from the hard-to-read handwritten scores (which have many errors with clefs etc) on IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/8_Primeras_pieza ... t%2C_Luis)

https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?tags=Cluzeau%20Mortet
bingo
Site Admin

Re: Composers from South America (excluding Brazil & Argenti

Post by bingo »

Jean-Séb wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:09 am
WCosand wrote:I do not understand how it can be claimed that there is no copyright notice on these pieces, but this is an interesting album scanned by Microsoft:
http://archive.org/details/latinamericanpia00newy
The second half of the book has pieces by Alexandra [de] Markoff, who was a Russian pianist, dedicatee of pieces by Lyadov, who lived in Paris and, from what I can understand from the web, probably emigrated to the United States and maybe later to Latin America. Some of the pieces are not at all Latin America in style.
I have been going through this book and found out some more about her from public genealogy records and other archives. Her name is shared with a perfume house, which dominates search results unless other terms like "composer, piano, music" are added.

Alexandra/Alessandra [de]Markoff/Markov was born in St Petersburg and at some point married and lived in Sao Paulo as Alexandra de Arruda Botelho.
Her birthdate is noted as 1895, somehow producing her first child a year later! (Her husband was born in 1867).

She composed a jaunty foxtrot called Oh Ya Ya which was covered by Paul Whiteman in 1928, although a Youtuber claims this was pinched from a Chilean work.
There's also a US copyright note for a piece called Russian Lullaby (1947?)
Last edited by bingo on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

Thanks very much for alerting me to this book (I hadn't seen the orginal post). The book is indeed interesting, not least because it has a piece by the Dominican Republic composer Juan Francesco Garcia (hope I spelt it right), of whom I have only ever seen one work before.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Phillip210 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:35 pm Thanks very much for alerting me to this book (I hadn't seen the orginal post). The book is indeed interesting, not least because it has a piece by the Dominican Republic composer Juan Francesco Garcia (hope I spelt it right), of whom I have only ever seen one work before.
I found a recording of his piece on YouTube but it was not very clear. Apparently it had its US premiere at Carnegie Hall in 1949 by a prominent Dominican pianist.

I think this book is actually misfiled here as most of the composers in it are not from South America!
There's a Russian, a Dominican, a Puerto-Rican (del Busto)...