Bach - Hyphenated

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
yschong

Re: Bach - Hyphenated

Post by yschong »

Mouchette wrote: you can also think that it's an alternative ending. So you cut the last bar of the fugue, except the very first note (which takes its place at the first beat of the "cadenza", and gives you the V chord you want), and play the ending toccata. I just tried it: it works perfectly. Am I clear?
M.

:lol: the V chord would need to have the fermata sign , perhaps even better to end V4/2 :o , ... as it will leads to the next bass note E natural ( bar 109 ) :D
Mouchette
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Mouchette »

yschong wrote:
Mouchette wrote: you can also think that it's an alternative ending. So you cut the last bar of the fugue, except the very first note (which takes its place at the first beat of the "cadenza", and gives you the V chord you want), and play the ending toccata. I just tried it: it works perfectly. Am I clear?
M.

:lol: the V chord would need to have the fermata sign , perhaps even better to end V4/2 :o , ... as it will leads to the next bass note E natural ( bar 109 ) :D
Please do, mein Kind.
puffermcsmith
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, guitar, bass, drums/percussion, clarinet, bass clarinet.
Music Scores: No

Post by puffermcsmith »

Hello,
I just listened to a great performance by Gilels playing the Bach-Siloti Prelude in B minor. I couldn't find it on ISMLP or in this forum. Does anyone have a copy of it out there?
Thank you.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Caprotti »

here it is
Gilels' one is truly a great performance
Bach J.S. - Prelude b (2H Siloti).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FelixBlumenfeld
Participant

Post by FelixBlumenfeld »

Following the March 2010 release of the Bach transcriptions written by Eugen d'Albert as played by Piers Lane on Hyperion <http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67709>, it would be nice if relevant scores were posted. So far, the only ones I have found on the Web are the Passacaglia and BWV 532 in D major. The BWV numbers for the other works transcribed by d'Albert are: 534, 536, 537, 538, 540, 541. The link above provides full titles and keys. Thanks in advance.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

FelixBlumenfeld wrote:Following the March 2010 release of the Bach transcriptions written by Eugen d'Albert as played by Piers Lane on Hyperion <http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67709>, it would be nice if relevant scores were posted. So far, the only ones I have found on the Web are the Passacaglia and BWV 532 in D major. The BWV numbers for the other works transcribed by d'Albert are: 534, 536, 537, 538, 540, 541. The link above provides full titles and keys. Thanks in advance.
Try these.
d'Albert-Bach - Fantasia and Fugue in C minor.pdf
d'Albert-Bach - Prelude and Fugue in A major.pdf
d'Albert-Bach - Prelude and Fugue in F minor.pdf
d'Albert-Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G major.pdf
d'Albert-Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor.pdf
d'Albert-Bach - Toccata and Fugue in F major.pdf
Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

These d'Albert Bach transcriptions certainly rank among the very best ever done for the piano. There are several transcriptions of the Toccata & Fugue in F, but this seems the best and most effective to me. One thing to note when playing these works is that one really cannot approach them as Glen Gould would--one really needs that damper pedal as Piers Lane demonstrates.
FelixBlumenfeld
Participant

Post by FelixBlumenfeld »

Well, it seems that the request corresponded to a real need among members; already some 40 downloads when I checked and saw the list of files. Thank you very much.
passthesalt
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by passthesalt »

Do any of the Bach gurus on PP possess (or know of) Bulow's arrangement of BWV920, the Fantasia for Harpsichord in G minor? My piano teacher played it at her recital last night in Dallas and mentioned that she had copied her score of it by hand from her teacher's handwritten copy. (Her teacher, in turn, had copied it as a student from a published score.) I made a quick crawl through the internet and came up empty on information about this particular arrangement of the Fantasia.
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

Good old Arthur Schanz ("JSB in der Klaviertranskription") gives no information at all. Following him, there is only a Bülow edition of BWV 903 ("Chromatische Fantasie und Fuge").

Furthermore, I know a Bülow version of JSB's Fantasie c minor (UE No.1323, Vol.1 out of three "Klassische Klavierwerke aus Hans von Bülow's Concertprogrammen"), not mentioned by Schanz.

Without feeling like a guru (except my weight ...) I apologize - and wish you happy hunting!