Bach - Hyphenated

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Bach - Hyphenated

Post by Scriabinoff »

Would like to add a request (I believe they are out of print. I'm having a super hard time finding any hard copy scores, only a few example of scans about on the interwebs):

Dmitry Kabalevsky did some transcriptions. I have these:
Toccata & Fugue in D minor ("Dorian"), BWV 538, transcribed for piano
Prelude & Fugue in C minor ("Arnstadt"), BWV 549
Eight Little Preludes and Fugues:

Prelude & Fugue in C major, BWV 553, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 1)
Prelude & Fugue in D minor, BWV 554, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 2)
Prelude & Fugue in E minor, BWV 555, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 3)
Prelude & Fugue in F major, BWV 556, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 4)
Prelude & Fugue in G major, BWV 557, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 5)
Prelude & Fugue in G minor, BWV 558, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 6)
Prelude & Fugue in A minor, BWV 559, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 7)
Prelude & Fugue in B flat major, BWV 560, transcribed for piano (Eight Little Preludes and Fugues, No. 8)

am looking for:
Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565,
Trio Sonata No. 2 in C minor, BWV 526

I believe that's all he did, if anyone has an example I missed, would also be super greatful if that can post.
Many Thanks!

PS came accross this index of Bach transcriptions by composer, thought I'd share as a good FYI
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVD/PT.htm
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

nms:
Bach-Tagliapietra Prel. e F. Sol minore.pdf
Bach-Tagliapietra Prel. e Fuga La minore.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

alfor wrote:nms:
Bach-Tagliapietra Prel. e F. Sol minore.pdf
Bach-Tagliapietra Prel. e Fuga La minore.pdf
Tagliapietra certainly has some interesting ideas on transcription. It was with great interest I played through the Great g-minor--he manages to create more effective sonorities than others I've played through. I hope he has done other Bach transcriptions--just imagine what the the Chacoone would look like!
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

A very nice alternative (and interesting key choice) to the famous Cortot that currently circulates the interwebs.
Bach, JS (Arr Hans Barth 1897-1956) - Arioso from Cantata BWV 156.pdf
bio on Barth:

Hans Barth (Composer, Arranger)

Born: June 25, 1897 - Leipzig, Germany
Died: December 8, 1956 - Jacksonville, Florida, USA

The German-born American pianist pedagogue, and composer, Hans Barth, studied, when still a child, on scholarship at the Leipzig Conservatory with Carl Reinecke. In 1907 he was taken to the USA and in 1908 he made his New York recital debut. In 1912 he became a naturalized American citizen.

Hans Barth's meeting with Ferruccio Busoni inspired him to experiment with new scales; with George Weitz, he perfected a portable quarter tone piano (1928). He toured the USA and Europe playing piano, quarter tone piano, and harpsichord. He served as director of the Institute of Musical An in Yonkers and of the National School for Musical Culture in New York. He also taught at the Mannes School in New York and, from 1948, at the Jacksonville College of Music in Florida.

Works

Operetta:
Miragia (1938)

Orchestral:
Piano Concerto (1928)
Concerto for Quarter Tone Piano and Quarter Tone Strings (1930)
Concerto for Quarter Tone Piano and Strings (Philadelphia, March 28, 1930, composer soloist, Leopold Stokowski conducting)
Drama Symphony (1940)
Prince of Peace, symhony (1940)
10 Études for Quarter Tone Piano and Orchestra (1942-1944)

Chamber:
Quintet for Quarter Tone Piano and Strings (1930)
Suite for Brass, Timpani, and Quarter Tone Strings (1930)

Piano:
2 sonatas (1929, 1932)
2 suites (1938, 1941)

Vocal:
Numerous songs

REQUEST for his concerto, and/or: 2 sonatas and/or 2 suites per mention above
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Good to see you back with new scores and interesting information. Thank you Scriabinoff.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

Jean-Séb wrote:Good to see you back with new scores and interesting information. Thank you Scriabinoff.
I'm happy you found the information interesting! I have a hot lead on one of the piano sonatas (and a few warm ones that still need a bit of sniffing out), if it pans out I hope to have it posted in next several days (by the end of this week for sure!) 8-)
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

At the request of a fellow PP member I've generated a B&W file of the Bach-Barth Arioso that Scriabinoff so generously provided for us.
Bach-Barth_Arioso.pdf
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Scriabinoff, thanks for the Bach transcription and the bio on Barth--all very interesting.

P.S.: I, for one, am glad to have safely bypassed all the quarter-tone experimentalists, as there is quite enough to do without that added complexity.
besmart

Post by besmart »

Hi,

Does anyone have the Bach/Murdoch Siciliano from the Flute Sonata?

Thanks. :?:
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Post by Emil Borisovich Sernov »

Bach-Gedike (Goedicke)
Passacaglia
Bach-Gedike Passacaglia (4 Hands).pdf
(Original orchestral version can be found on imslp, but I found this transcription for 4 hands.)