Otto Nicolai

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
User avatar
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk
Music Scores: Yes

Otto Nicolai

Post by arglmann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi,
has anyone heard of a Paraphrase
about some Opera, composed by
Otto Nicolai, the Merry Widow-guy?

So far I only found a Rondo capriccioso
on IMSLP - maybe someone knows more?

Thanks in advance,
Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.

Jean-Séb
Pianomaniac
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai Paraphrase

Post by Jean-Séb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm

arglmann wrote:Hi,
has anyone heard of a Paraphrase
about some Opera, composed by
Otto Nicolai, the Merry Widow-guy?
Do you mean the Merry Wives of Windsor? Not yet widows in the play.
Jean-Séb

thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:03 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai Paraphrase

Post by thalbergmad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:37 pm

arglmann wrote:Hi,
has anyone heard of a Paraphrase
about some Opera, composed by
Otto Nicolai, the Merry Widow-guy?

So far I only found a Rondo capriccioso
on IMSLP - maybe someone knows more?

Thanks in advance,
Arglmann
I wonder if you might be referring to the Norma Variations for piano and small orchestra, a recording of which was posted on "another" site a while back.

Rather delicious.

Thal

User avatar
klavierelch
Site Admin
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Germany

Re: Otto Nicolai Paraphrase

Post by klavierelch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:33 am

thalbergmad wrote:
I wonder if you might be referring to the Norma Variations for piano and small orchestra, a recording of which was posted on "another" site a while back.

Rather delicious.

Thal
The only work by Nicolai I can think of is indeed the "Fantasie & Variationen über Motive aus
Norma für Klavier & Orchester" which was recorded by Claudio Tanski (see http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/ ... um/8621863).
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)

Jean-Séb
Pianomaniac
Posts: 972
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai Paraphrase

Post by Jean-Séb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:50 am

klavierelch wrote:
thalbergmad wrote:
I wonder if you might be referring to the Norma Variations for piano and small orchestra, a recording of which was posted on "another" site a while back.

Rather delicious.

Thal
The only work by Nicolai I can think of is indeed the "Fantasie & Variationen über Motive aus
Norma für Klavier & Orchester" which was recorded by Claudio Tanski (see http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/ ... um/8621863).
Ach, OK, I was not sure whether "composed" was referring to Opera or Paraphrase.
In the latter case, there is at least another work, Variations on favorites motives of Sonnambula, for Soprano, Horn and Piano, op.26.
http://books.google.fr/books?id=xQdBAAA ... q=&f=false
Jean-Séb

User avatar
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai

Post by arglmann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Thank you all, for that information.
It was indeed Norma -
could anyone tell me which
library hides the score?

Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.

User avatar
Caprotti
Pianomaniac
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:34 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai

Post by Caprotti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Autore Nicolai, Otto<1810-1849>
Titolo Duo : pour piano et flute sur des motifs de l'opera Norma de Bellini / compose par Othon Nicolai
Presentazione [Parties]
Pubblicazione Milan : Jean Canti, [1840]
Descrizione fisica 2 parti (5,19 p.) ; 33 cm
Note generali Et dedie a son ama monsieur Pierre Racchetti
Titolo uniforme · Duetti . 19/p . fl,pf
Numeri Lastra - 0000000573
Nomi


MI0344 Biblioteca del Conservatorio di musica Giuseppe Verdi - Milano - [fondo/segnatura] A.31.61.8

remy
Pianophiliac
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:15 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai

Post by remy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Does anyone have Otto Nicolai's 3 Etudes Pour le Piano, Op.40, dedicated to Liszt.

The No.3, "Gruss an Liszt" is especially beautiful.

I think it was Ornstein who posted a wonderful recording in the old piphi.

I have it uploaded if anyone wants it.

Thanks.

jeremy

User avatar
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai

Post by arglmann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Caprotti wrote:Autore Nicolai, Otto<1810-1849>
Titolo Duo : pour piano et flute sur des motifs de l'opera Norma de Bellini / compose par Othon Nicolai
Presentazione [Parties]
Pubblicazione Milan : Jean Canti, [1840]
Descrizione fisica 2 parti (5,19 p.) ; 33 cm
Note generali Et dedie a son ama monsieur Pierre Racchetti
Titolo uniforme · Duetti . 19/p . fl,pf
Numeri Lastra - 0000000573
Nomi


MI0344 Biblioteca del Conservatorio di musica Giuseppe Verdi - Milano - [fondo/segnatura] A.31.61.8
Thank you very much, Caprotti!
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.

thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:03 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Otto Nicolai

Post by thalbergmad » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm

The score is also held at the Nederlands Muziek Instituut.

I have the item on order, but it has not arrived yet. Probably because our postman are too lazy to go to work.

Thal

Post Reply