Cesar Franck & his circle

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
kh0815

Cesar Franck & his circle

Post by kh0815 »

Cesar Franck is one of my (oh so many) favourites. To open this thread I'd like to contribute a radio rarity from WDR Cologne (Westdeutscher Rundfunk Köln): Cesar Franck's Piano Concerto No.2 b minor op.11, played by Michael Ponti & WDR Symphony Orchestra, Johannes Winkler conducting (1987) with commentary in German: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mdbztzjx2w4
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Cesar Franck & his circle

Post by oren segev »

kh0815 wrote:Cesar Franck is one of my (oh so many) favourites. To open this thread I'd like to contribute a radio rarity from WDR Cologne (Westdeutscher Rundfunk Köln): Cesar Franck's Piano Concerto No.2 b minor op.11, played by Michael Ponti & WDR Symphony Orchestra, Johannes Winkler conducting (1987) with commentary in German: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mdbztzjx2w4
Thanks for that
Does anyone could please post the pdf of that Franck Piano Concerto?
Thanks
Oren
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

Can anyone give me any information on J. Béesau, composer of the "Invocation a Cesar Franck"?
http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... Franck.pdf
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

kh0815 wrote:Cesar Franck is one of my (oh so many) favourites. To open this thread I'd like to contribute a radio rarity from WDR Cologne (Westdeutscher Rundfunk Köln): Cesar Franck's Piano Concerto No.2 b minor op.11, played by Michael Ponti & WDR Symphony Orchestra, Johannes Winkler conducting (1987) with commentary in German: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mdbztzjx2w4
Thanks for this! I was at an amateur performance of Franck's Symphony about three years ago (in Sidcup), and it has never sounded so grey - it really quite put me off Franck for a while.

Incidentally I had to hum the background of Panis Angelicus the other week as backing for an appalling trio of tenors performing as 'The Priests' (urghhhhh!). Humming quite loudly is actually quite hard!

On the 'Second' Piano Concerto didn't we decide a year or two back that the 'First' concerto never actually existed and that it was a rumour put about by his ambitious father?!

And who, by the way, would you rate to be in Cesar Franck's circle?

Rob
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

Well, I am not the originator of this thread. But sometimes the most important pupils of Franck were called "Franckiste", see for example http://universfranckiste.free.fr/index.php.
Personally I would rate the connection Franck - d'Indy the most obvious. These composers brought an almost German obsession with form and cyclic connection of motives to French music which had been absent before in this high degree. Franck was the origin for this development and d'Indy as his pupil spread this much further.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

rob wrote:... And who, by the way, would you rate to be in Cesar Franck's circle? Rob
Klavierelch gave one of the possible answers. And Walter Cosand a really surprising one - I do hope he and we will receive an answer. What about Duparc and Chausson? I look forward to the development of this thread.

Nevertheless please let me admit, that we should "ban" one of Cesar Franck's earlier teachers, Anton Reicha (in Paris at that time), into a quite different thread ...
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

WCosand wrote:Can anyone give me any information on J. Béesau, composer of the "Invocation a Cesar Franck"?
http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... Franck.pdf
Joseph Béesau was a relativeley obscure French musician, born in Russia in 1871 and died in Rennes (French Brittany) in 1940. He had been studying with Vincent d'Indy and maybe with Déodat de Séverac. He made all his career in Rennes where he was teacher and organist from 1890 to 1940.
Jean-Séb
Paddys
Instruments played, if any: Piano.

Post by Paddys »

I have a CD of songs by Albert Cahen d'Anvers, a pupil of Franck.
Nogbert
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by Nogbert »

rob wrote: And who, by the way, would you rate to be in Cesar Franck's circle?

Rob
Over 30 years ago I picked up at a book sale (for the princely sum of two South African Rands, equivalent to about 18p at today’s exchange rates) a book entitled ‘César Franck and his Circle’, by Laurence Davies, published in 1970 by Barrie & Jenkins. Rob’s question sent me scurrying to my bookshelves to see who the author considered to be in the circle. The following pupils, associates and followers were given at least two pages each, and in some cases as much as 20 pages with musical examples. They were grouped in separate chapters as follows:

Alexis de Castillon, Albert Cahen, Arthur Coquard, Vincent d’Indy
Henri Duparc
Ernest Chausson
Guillaume Lekeu, Augusta Holmés, Dynam-Victor Fumet, Sylvio Lazzari
Charles Bordes, d’Indy (again), Guy Ropartz
and (in no particular order) Samuel Rousseau, Camille Benôit, Paul de Wailly, Albéric Magnard, Pierre de Bréville, Gabriel Pierné, Charles Tournemire and Paul Dukas

Some of the above have been well represented in Pianophilia, while others are virtually unknown.

I am personally most intrigued by two works by de Bréville that I have never heard or seen. Is anybody able to post his Piano Sonata, and the four-movement virtuoso suite ‘Stamboul’ (later orchestrated, I gather)?

Jo
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Paddys wrote:I have a CD of songs by Albert Cahen d'Anvers, a pupil of Franck.

... recorded on his own Pleyel grand piano, still present in the former house of the family (Chateau de Champs sur Marne).
Jean-Séb