Women Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Women Composers

Post by Paul »

Dear musiclife,

you have to look at gallica, then you find these two Mazurkas.

Best regards

Paul

Chaminade Mazurka Nr.2.pdf
Chaminade Mazurka Nr.1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Paul wrote:Dear musiclife,

you have to look at gallica, then you find these two Mazurkas.

Best regards

Paul

Chaminade Mazurka Nr.2.pdf
Chaminade Mazurka Nr.1.pdf

Wow, thank you! I knew that they were there somewhere! And you grouped them into PDF! Double thanks! ;) ;) ♪♪♫♫♪♪
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

Yes, many thanks indeed.
pianopenguin

Post by pianopenguin »

Hi

Does anyone have the Agitato Op.120 by Mel Bonis for piano. This little piece sounds sweet but the score is not on IMSLP.

Thanks
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

pianopenguin wrote:Hi

Does anyone have the Agitato Op.120 by Mel Bonis for piano. This little piece sounds sweet but the score is not on IMSLP.

Thanks
this a four-hand or two-hand piece?

I know that you may find it in this collection:

v. 7. Pièces pittoresques et poetiques C: 1910-1932
Œuvres pour piano = Klaviermusik = Piano music
Author: Mél Bonis; Eberhard Mayer
Publisher: Kassel : Furore Verlag, ©2003-<©2009>

per worldcat....
Richard0428

Post by Richard0428 »

I've been looking for Amy Beach's By the Still Waters for some time - it's blocked on IMSLP, despite being marked as Public Domain. I'm a great admirer of some of Beach's later works (the three pieces op 128 and the two Hermit Thrush pieces are miniature masterpieces IMHO), and from the audio clip of it on Amazon US, it sounds like another goodie. I'd love to try it (and any other later works that other members might recommend) if anyone has a PDF floating around. Thanks!
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

trying to catch up on scanning, fresh and hot, right of the flatbed!

Juliette Adams [Juliette Graves and known as "Mrs. Crosby Adams"] American, teacher, pianist and composer Niagara N.Y., 25.03.1858 - Montreat, 09.11.1951
Adams Family.jpg
Juliette was raised on a farm near the great river, where she developed her love of nature which became her great inspiration like it was to her idol Edward MacDowell. Seven years old she began studying piano and went on - as a young woman to teach and play organ for church services. In the four years prior to her marriage she was a resident teacher of piano at Ingham University in New York state.

Juliette and Crosby Adams were married on September 18, 1883 in Lewiston, New York. Following their marriage they lived first in Buffalo, New York, and later in Kansas City and then Chicago. In 1913 they moved to Montreat, North Carolina, and there continued with full and active lives rich in accomplishments. Mrs. Crosby Adams was a nationally known piano teacher, composer, author and lecturer. She was best known for her pioneering work in piano literature for beginners. Her compositions for children were widely adopted by piano teachers and became standard teaching material.
Her compositions were influenced by her conviction that beginners needed materials that were suitable for their needs and interests and that were presented in an orderly fashion appropriate to the students' developmental levels. She firmly believed that the most important thing a music teacher could do for a student was to develop in him a cultivated musical taste. Her first published work, Five Tone Sketches, Opus 1, appeared in 1896 and was followed by many piano solos, duets, songs and studies for beginners, including her major work, the Graded Studies. This series in ten volumes was widely used by piano teachers throughout the U.S.

The Crosby Adams Music School, established in Chicago in 1892, helped secure Mrs. Adams's reputation as a respected music educator. The School was distinguished as having the first public school music course taught in America. Mrs. Adams became a sought-after lecturer and her articles on music commentary and criticism appeared in Chicago newspapers and leading music periodicals. She was recognized by her contemporaries, including Amy Beach and Edward MacDowell.While living in Chicago, Mrs. Adams began the Dolls Musical Festivals which provided a novel way to introduce children to music. Among her publications were two children's books and a number of piano solos about dolls. In 1929 Mrs. Adams' book, Studies in Hymnology, was first published to critical acclaim. It was widely used in seminaries, churches, and music schools and was republished in 1938.

In 1913 Mr. and Mrs. Adams built their House-in-the-Woods in the wild Blue Ridge Mountains, Montreat, North Carolina. The plans for the house was supplied by architect Van Bergen under supervision of Crosby Adams and modelled after MacDowell's own retreat. The house had a spacious music room that could accommodate a chorus and music recitals.
Here they conducted their Teachers Classes every summer. They were in charge of the music program at Montreat Normal School and had a long association with the Montreat College music department. Mrs. Adams taught piano, continued writing about and composing music, and played a leadership role in a number of organizations. Such were their reputations in music circles, that at the age of 90, Mr. and Mrs. Adams were guests of honor at the Chicagoland Music Festival.

Mrs. Adams was granted honorary life membership in the National Federation of Music Clubs and in the Music Teachers National Association and served on the Executive Boards of both organizations. Mrs. Adams was awarded honorary degrees of Doctor of Music from Converse College in Spartanburg, South Carolina in 1932 and from Woman's College of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 1945. Mrs. Adams' last concert was given in Asheville, North Carolina on her 92nd birthday. The Crosby Adams memorial building in Montreat no longer exists; however, special collections of materials by and about Mrs. Adams are housed in the Presbyterian Historical Society in Montreat and also in the Montreat College Library.

Op. 28
Adams, Crosby [Mrs.], - 30 Improvisations in all the major and minor keys (c.1915).pdf
(forgive the quality somewhat, this score is beat up to h#@!, edges are disintegrating/falling-apart, no binding whatsoever-remarkable my copy of this found its way to my collection completely intact!-did my best to give the best images possible without further damaging the fragile score).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Scriabinoff,
Thank you for your little article on Juliette and Crosby Adams.
What a fascinating couple they were.
I have downloaded the volume you put on for us, but not looked at it yet.
Thanks again.

Peter.
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

liveforpiano wrote:Scriabinoff,
Thank you for your little article on Juliette and Crosby Adams.
What a fascinating couple they were.
I have downloaded the volume you put on for us, but not looked at it yet.
Thanks again.

Peter.
You are most welcome, and I appreciate the feedback, I know we don't necessarily have to see replies to posts and uploads in order to know the effort is enjoyed and appreciated by many, but it is still nice to read a sincere ' thank you ' nonetheless. I find this little set of 'studies' fascinating, so diverse and imaginative for such short little musical ideas, I get the sense from even just a superficial appreciation of them (I had not brought myself to read the originals due to their tattered state but now I can print off sturdier sheets!), that there was a level of care and 'love' put into these charming and imaginative little student's works that I just didn't see/feel when looking at some of the more 'modern' methods books exercises and primary studies pieces ( more recent domestic/US market ones).

Thanks again for the kind remarks.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

Very glad to see complete piano works (+ two chamber pieces) of Maria Szymanowska released on CD ! A commendable effort and wonderful music!

http://www.acteprealable.com/albums/new_ap0281-83.html