Women Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Women Composers

Post by fhimpsl »

Thank you Jeremy, for the link to these CDs of Marie Jaell's piano music. Her work is passionate and certainly reflects the influence of Liszt. Unfortunately it seems that her work is extremely obscure and difficult to obtain. The French National Library (BnF, Gallica) has her second piano concerto, dedicated to d'Albert. I downloaded this and am attaching it here. The BnF also has her manuscipts of the work, possibly complete;

http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/s ... ultat-id-8

All Best,

Frank
Jaell, Marie - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (a d'Albert, courtesy BnF).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

fhimpsl wrote:Thank you Jeremy, for the link to these CDs of Marie Jaell's piano music. Her work is passionate and certainly reflects the influence of Liszt. Unfortunately it seems that her work is extremely obscure and difficult to obtain. The French National Library (BnF, Gallica) has her second piano concerto, dedicated to d'Albert. I downloaded this and am attaching it here. The BnF also has her manuscipts of the work, possibly complete;

http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/s ... ultat-id-8

All Best,

Frank
Jaell, Marie - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor (a d'Albert, courtesy BnF).pdf
I am certainly a fan!

In the past, I had posted her Album Leaf and Impromptu after requesting through Berlin Library - I hope they are still available! I also have her Romantic Sketches (Esquisses Romantiques) - the file size is large and I think I would have trouble uploading - any suggestions? The file is 30+ MB!
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Jeremy,

I've sent a private message with some ideas on how to reduce the file size, and would be happy to help in this regard. The Romantic Sketches score is quite rare and I know many of our Pianophilia members would be very grateful to obtain a copy. Marie Jaell's music is inspired, and certainly deserves a wider audience. I've noted that the BnF also has her first Concerto (in manuscript only) and a few songs as well.

All Best,

Frank H.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful score by Marie Jaell. Beautiful in every respect, and a real treasure. I'm attaching it here per your request to share it with the Pianophilia family. Your generosity is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure we will all be searching for more music by this lovely lady from Alsace. :D

All Best,

Frank
Jaell,_Marie-WoO-Esquisses_Romantiques,_Six_(Sketches,_Six_Romantic).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

A quick search on EROMM (the European Register of Microform and Digital Masters) throws up a number of works, including manuscript scores from the Fonds Marie Jaëll).
There are quite a few duplications, but it'll give one an idea.

(Hope this works): http://www.eromm.org/use_eromm-eromm_se ... 2C%20marie

4c
burstroman
Instruments played, if any: piano

Cecile Chaminade: in these times...

Post by burstroman »

Hi, In my browsing through the imslp website, I came upon a beautiful "elegy" of C. Chaminade, op. 155, with the title "Au Pays Devaste". It has been recorded by Paul Jacobs, but no performance is available on youtube. I am learning it and wondered if any others of you fellow members have learned the work or have any comments about it in general. It seemed a lovely composition to work on and perform considering what has happened recently in Paris and many other places. God bless you all. I love this website. Allen
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

You are right, it is a beautiful and moving piece, written just after the devastating WWI, leaving France in ruins and with one of the highest tolls in the fighting countries : 4.3% of the French population was killed during the WWI, mostly young men (2.2% for Great-Britain, 3.8% for Germany, 0.1% for the United-States), which was the main reason for the decline of France in the 20th Century.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dw.as ... AJY9470613
The tune can be bought online for less than 1£.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

To my learned PP acquaintances, with utmost respect; this question:

Would some kind individuals like to suggest the names (and if willing, particular works) of women composers whom you deem to be excellent at their craft, but who are not recorded at all (or recorded very little); those who you believe are deserving of recordings? I am liaising with an enterprising pianist who hopes to make a project out of recording women composers who aren't represented in recordings. Names like Johanna Senfter, Franziska Mueller Hermann and Mathilde Kralik have been bandied about already, but please let me know others.

Yours anticipatingly!
4c
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Hello 4c,
One that springs immediately to mind for her extrordinary compositions is Ethel Leginska, check out The Gargoyles of Notre-Dame and Scherzo after Tagore. Ethel was English, born in Hull and went to America and set up a womens orchestra and conducted it as well, she really was avant-garde in all aspects, her piano writing (and playing) puts her up there with the best.
regards
Brian

PS presumably you have also thought about Mel Bonis?
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

I would like to add that Marie Jaell could also be considered. There has been a little recording activity, but personally I believe her merit as a composer deserves greater attention.