Women Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
parag
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Women Composers

Post by parag »

Here's Jaell's Impromptu. I followed a somewhat circuitous route to get high quality images which remained fairly clean after the optimization. If someone has high res. images of the Dreyschock mentioned by musiclife, please pass them on to me and I'll create the lite versions he desires. In the worst case, I'll continue with the method I have figured out if I don't hear from anyone.

Best,
Parag
Jaell - Impromptu.pdf
Edit: Peter, I am also attaching the Album Leaf... slightly different end result. Let me know which you prefer.
Jaell - Album Leaf.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

A million thanks to our dear members, Peter and Parag for the wonderful Album Leaf and Impromptu by Marie Jaell, unleashing her inner Liszt.

jeremy
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Re: Women Composers #

Post by Scriabinoff »

Request:
Hi all, request for any solo piano works for Ethel Leginska. Most especially the Heroic Impromptu (no. 3 from Three Victorian Portraits for solo piano).

Bio http://www.naxos.com/person/Ethel_Leginska/36390.htm
Many thanks.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Scriabinoff wrote:Request:
Hi all, request for any solo piano works for Ethel Leginska. Most especially the Heroic Impromptu (no. 3 from Three Victorian Portraits for solo piano).

Many thanks.
New York Public Library has copies of Gargoyles and Scherzo after Tagore,(Oh mad, superbly drunk) I haven't checked to see if they have the Victorian portraits. The Composers Collective that published her works (including the Victorian portraits) seemed to be a small private initiative so the chances of finding anything will be remote, I wish you the best of luck.
Incidentally the bio notes by Naxos give her name as Leggins before she changed it to Leginska. I can categorically tell you that her name was Liggins and she was a good Yorkshire lass born in " 'ull " as you can see from my nom-de-plume!!! Presumably the rest of the bio will be a bit dodgy, there is a very good bio of her by Marguerite and Terry Broadbent full of pictures etc. and published by The North West Player Piano Association Wilmslow in Cheshire. "Leginska Forgotten genius of Music" .
Gargoyles by the way is a very good piece to test your technique and give your brain some headaches, and it sounds good too.
best wishes
Brian
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
Scriabinoff wrote:Request:

Many thanks.
New York Public Library has copies of Gargoyles and Scherzo after Tagore,(Oh mad, superbly drunk) I haven't checked to see if they have the Victorian portraits. The Composers Collective that published her works (including the Victorian portraits) seemed to be a small private initiative so the chances of finding anything will be remote, I wish you the best of luck.
Incidentally the bio notes by Naxos give her name as Leggins before she changed it to Leginska. I can categorically tell you that her name was Liggins and she was a good Yorkshire lass born in " 'ull " as you can see from my nom-de-plume!!! Presumably the rest of the bio will be a bit dodgy, there is a very good bio of her by Marguerite and Terry Broadbent full of pictures etc. and published by The North West Player Piano Association Wilmslow in Cheshire. "Leginska Forgotten genius of Music" .
Gargoyles by the way is a very good piece to test your technique and give your brain some headaches, and it sounds good too.
best wishes
Brian
Well, this is PP, we are champions of the obscure, aficionados of the rare, and addicts of the forgotten. With the treasure we have amassed here, it would only be proper to have appropriately difficult requests no :lol:

My upmost appreciation for your looking into this, the direction, and additional information! :D

I will look into procuring the Gargoyles as well. If an IL can pull something in on my end, I will of course post. Let's hope more turns up and we get traction on my request and the additional works you highlighted.

Best,
Scriabinoff. ;)
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

I found an album of female composers with the following contents, if anyone is interested:

Bilbro, Mathilde - WoO - Arab Dance
Cramm, H. L. - Op. 08 No. 01 - My Lady's Fan
Sewell, Sadye - WoO - Rondo-Etude - Rainbow Chase
Button, Lily Ruegg - Op. 01 - Waltz, Fairies' (Feen Walzer)
Ashford, E. L. - WoO - Barcarolle
Worthington, Amy Titus - WoO - Moonbeams
Crosby, Marie - WoO - Love Song, Indian
Andrus, H. J. - WoO - Romance - Light Hearts
Bohannan, Mrs. Ord - WoO - Saltarella
Lang, Margaret Ruthven - Op. 59 - Driving to the Blacksmith
Strickland, Lily - Impromptu
Loeb-Evans, Matilee - WoO - Canterbury Bells
Chretien, H. - Waltz - Daffodils
Backer-Grondahl, Agathe - Op. 55 No. 11 - Polska - Dance, Swedish
Chaminade, Cecile - Op. 50 - Flatterer, The (La Lisonjera)
Szalit, Paula - Op. 03 No. 03 - Intermezzo
Carreno, Teresa - WoO - Valse, Petit - Mi Teresita
Backer-Grondahl, Agathe - ??? - Huldreslaat (Danse Norvegienne)
Dutton, Theodora – WoO - Serenade, Gondolier's
Ashford, E. L. - WoO - Valse Caprice

Quite a singular set, aside from the relatively "big" names of Chaminade, Carreño, and Backer-Grondahl... :)
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

This is quite interesting. Although I have seen already a few names like Theodora Dutton (Blanche Ray Alden (5 July 1870 – 1934)) or Hedwige Chrétien, most of them are unknown from me, so it would be nice to get a copy when you have time.
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

Jean-Séb wrote:This is quite interesting. Although I have seen already a few names like Theodora Dutton (Blanche Ray Alden (5 July 1870 – 1934)) or Hedwige Chrétien, most of them are unknown from me, so it would be nice to get a copy when you have time.
WOMAN COMPOSERS 01-57.pdf
Woman Composers 52-71.pdf
Enjoy! Have some fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

musiclife217 thank you for the wonderful additions to our women composer collection.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

This is really lovely. Thank you so much.