Instruments played, if any: PIANO
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Women Composers

Post by HTIEKFR »

Hesitated beetween this thread and salon music
Found this piece interesting
Augusta De Kabath - Douchinka (mazurka)
AUGUSTA DE KABATH - DOUCHINKA.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Raie Da Costa (1905-1934),of Portuguese origin, was born in Cape Town, South Africa. She moved to London at nineteen with a view to pursuing a career as a concert pianist. Success eluded her, however, so she developed her own style: a combination of classical and jazz elements with diverse musical idioms and much syncopation.

In 1928 she made her first records, and later in that year she began appearing in variety shows. Her success was immediate. She recorded on the Parlophone and HMV labels. Considered one of the most talented pianists of her time, she was known for her embellishments, incredible left hand technique, and orchestral musical concepts. Her playing activities and her early death meant that her compositional output was relatively small.

Some of her best works in the syncopated style are: Razor Blades, Jazz Goblins, Cascades, Parade of the Pied Piper, Moods, and the infectious At the Court of Old King Cole. She contributed songs to the musical Your Money or Your Wife in 1932. Her astonishing technique (especially the effortless runs and rapid fire octaves) is quite evident in her 1930 recording of the Verdi-Liszt Rigoletto Paraphrase.

Something a little lighter......I have posted the very enjoyable "Five Moods" [thanks Mr P].

Malcolm
Da Costa R - Five Moods.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Malc, I was delighted to see your posting on the phenomenal Raie DaCosta today! She has long been one of my favorite recording artists in the novelty-piano vein. I've posted below several other scores by her as well as some covers and biographical info, and one article by Ms. Dacosta herself.

All Best,

Frank
DaCosta - Kute & Kunning - Color Cover.jpg
DaCosta - Kute & Kunning.pdf
DaCosta - Razor Blades - Color Cover.jpg
DaCosta - Razor Blades.pdf
DaCosta - Portrait On Album Cover.jpg
DaCosta - Moods Color Cover Sample.jpg
DaCosta - Bio & Article.pdf
:D :D :D
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends - A couple more pieces by the wonderful Ms. Raie Da Costa - enjoy! :D

Frank
DaCosta - A Toyland Holiday - Color Cover.jpg
DaCosta - A Toyland Holiday (Solo).pdf
DaCosta - A Toyland Holiday (Song Version).pdf
DaCosta - Parade Of The PIed Piper - Color Cover.jpg
DaCosta - Parade Of The PIed Piper.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

I was torn between this thread and my Polish Composers thread...as think this is a considered rarity: Halina Krzyzanowska (1860 – 1937). Polish pianist and composer. Kryzanowska was born in Paris, and studied the piano under Felix Le Couppey at the Paris Conservatoire. She performed mainly in Poland and France, and was made an officer of the Academie de France (1896). She was later appointed professor of piano at the Rennes conservatory in Brittany. She composed piano pieces, sonatas, a symphony, string quartet, and many chamber works. Though greatly admired in their day, her works are now largely forgotten.

Thanks to my friend in Poland I can share four of her works with you - three for piano and the other [although in the wrong thread] is a song. But, as I suspect, her works are somewhat scarce it seems sensible to post them all here. I have uploaded Op 15 Mazurka No. 2, Valse-Ballet, Op 21 Krakowiak and the song, Zakochana

Works list taken from Pazdirek:

Op 11 A La Gavotte - piano [Gebethner]
Op 15 Mazurka No. 2 - piano [Gregh]
Kryzanowska - Op 15 Mazurka_opt.pdf
Op 16 Aria - Piano [Gregh]
Op 21 Krakowiak - piano [Bellon]
Kryzanowski - Op 21 Krakowiak.pdf
Op 44 String Quartet
Coeur de femme - piano [Loret]
Doumka - piano [Loret]
Gavotte - piano [Keith]
Hungaria - piano [Loret]
"Lune d Miel" Valse - piano [Keith]
Mazurek - piano [Loret]
Minuetto, extract from a sonata in D minor - piano [Lemoine]
Romance - piano [Keith]
Valse-Ballet - piano [Lemoine & Gebethner]
Kryzanowska - Valse-Ballet_opt[1].pdf
Zakochana - voice & piano [Gebthner]
Kryzanowski - Zakochana.pdf
Malcolm
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Again a composer I had never heard of. Thank you, Malcolm. I note on your file names that you decided it was a man two times out of four !
Paul
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano (amateur)

Post by Paul »

There was an Ignacy Kryzanowski who also composed a lot of piano music. Is he related to Halina K.? Any info??

Have a nice evening!

Paul
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Paul wrote:There was an Ignacy Kryzanowski who also composed a lot of piano music. Is he related to Halina K.? Any info??

Have a nice evening!

Paul

First well spotted Jean-Seb....I missed that and yes, I kept slipping in an "i" instead of the "a" when typing.

Paul - I did try to find out whether there was any link between the two but the information on Halina is so small it was impossible to ascertain whether they were related.

Malcolm
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

For members interested in the works of women composers (living and not) I came across a site which specializes in just this topic. They have an on-line catalog with hundreds of interesting scores and collections listed. The one warning I would give is that their music is on the very pricey side. Still doesn't cost anything to check it out....

http://www.hildegard.com

Frank
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Indeed they are expensive and lazy as well.

When I asked them if their book of Blahetka contained the Polonaise, they promised to let me know, but never got back. Obviously, it is too much of a strain to pull something off a shelf and have a look inside.

Personally, I refuse to use them.

Thal