Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music from the Low Countries

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Roeland wrote:
jre58591 wrote:It's a shame that scores by Louis Andriessen cannot be posted. He is the most talented out of his whole family, in my opinion!
He is alive and composing.Celebrated his 70th birthday with a concert in the Concertgebouw a month ago.Interesting to know is that his father Hendrik was a major source of inspiration to him.His Ricercare was played there.
I must admit I don't care for the music of Louis Andriessen at all, though I do like the music of his father Hendrik. Hendrik in his early years as an organist/composer was heavily influenced by Cesar Franck (Premier Choral for organ in particular written when he was 21) and over the years that was replaced by a leaning towards modalism and atonal writing. All of his organ works are still in print and his religious music is constantly being programmed, a tribute certainly to the quality of his writing.
regards
Brian
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
Roeland wrote:
jre58591 wrote:It's a shame that scores by Louis Andriessen cannot be posted. He is the most talented out of his whole family, in my opinion!
He is alive and composing.Celebrated his 70th birthday with a concert in the Concertgebouw a month ago.Interesting to know is that his father Hendrik was a major source of inspiration to him.His Ricercare was played there.
I must admit I don't care for the music of Louis Andriessen at all, though I do like the music of his father Hendrik. Hendrik in his early years as an organist/composer was heavily influenced by Cesar Franck (Premier Choral for organ in particular written when he was 21) and over the years that was replaced by a leaning towards modalism and atonal writing. All of his organ works are still in print and his religious music is constantly being programmed, a tribute certainly to the quality of his writing.
regards
Brian
Hi Brian,

I hope you can at least laugh about this title of a composition by Louis: Haags Hakkûh wich is in a very flat The Hague dialect, like the ADO Den Haag hooligans are speaking. (I can assure you that Hakkuh is a familiar activity for hooligans: I had tickets for Ajax-ADO Den Haag last week and the ADO supporters were forbidden to enter the stadium).

The Labeque sisters played it in the Concertgebouw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAum1WCgNfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZciP2kJ-I
It is also based on the theme of the song "O, O, Den Haag", a kind of people's hymn of the Hague.
jre58591
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by jre58591 »

Roeland wrote:
Roeland wrote:
regards
Brian
Hi Brian,

I hope you can at least laugh about this title of a composition by Louis: Haags Hakkûh wich is in a very flat The Hague dialect, like the ADO Den Haag hooligans are speaking. (I can assure you that Hakkuh is a familiar activity for hooligans: I had tickets for Ajax-ADO Den Haag last week and the ADO supporters were forbidden to enter the stadium).

It is also based on the theme of the song "O, O, Den Haag", a kind of people's hymn of the Hague.
Haha, I see you found my upload of that from this year's Holland Festival. That is quite a humorous piece indeed. Also, I was at the world premiere of that piece this year in January in Los Angeles (I also attended a lecture given by Louis before the concert). The composition, while it is not one of his better ones, did amuse me very much. I got a good laugh while Louis was describing the piece, also (he's a really funny guy!).
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

jre58591 wrote:
Roeland wrote:
Roeland wrote:
regards
Brian
Hi Brian,

Haha, I see you found my upload of that from this year's Holland Festival. That is quite a humorous piece indeed. Also, I was at the world premiere of that piece this year in January in Los Angeles (I also attended a lecture given by Louis before the concert). The composition, while it is not one of his better ones, did amuse me very much. I got a good laugh while Louis was describing the piece, also (he's a really funny guy!).
I didn't know it was your upload.Thanks.....I saw the concert here on tv.
I never met Louis but I did once spend a night in his house.A flutist that I was playing with was taking care of his cat in the holidays!I had plenty of time to inspect his CD collection :D
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

A small score by Diepenbrock. A transcription for piano of balletmusic.I have never seen any Diepenbrock that was originally written for piano.
Diepenbrock - Balletten uit de Vogels en Marsyas.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Music from the Low Countries

Post by ilu »

Henri Vieuxtemps did not compose piano solo music (as far as I know), but is it possible to get some transcriptions for piano?

Thank you.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

ilu wrote:Henri Vieuxtemps did not compose piano solo music (as far as I know), but is it possible to get some transcriptions for piano?

Thank you.

ILU
This seems to be all I have! (nms)
Vieuxtemps-Rive-King op38 Ballade & Polonaise (pno).pdf
PS: Ilu you posted your request in the FRENCH PIANO MUSIC thread - so I moved it here where it really belonged - the 'Low Countries' are usually considered to be Belgium & the Netherlands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Rob:

Thank you very much!

I made a mistake posting my request, because Vieuxtemps was born in Verviers, Belgium - I did not see any Music of Belgium thread.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Belgium is pretty low old chap.

I think you are safe in here.

Thal
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Thank you all for make it clear!

As I could find out, in modern English usage, the term is occasionally to be found, and it then means the Kingdom of Belgium and (European mainland part of) the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Sometimes the French Netherlands are also included in this definition.

Regarding Luxemburg (officially the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg) is not included in the "Low Countries" term.

Nevertheless, H. Vieuxtemps is extraordinary and it is a pity that he did not compose piano solo music.

ILU
Quo melius Illac