BENELUX - Music from Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: BENELUX - Music from Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg

Post by rob »

Roeland wrote:
rob wrote:As Jean-Seb says, there are good historical reasons why the countries of central and western Europe predominate here. 'Classical' Art-Music, with which this site concerns itself, seems largely an Italian/German/French invention, so that's where the greatest concentration of composers are found, even now!
Rob, I am afraid that you make a mistake here. Don't forget that in the late Middle Ages and (early) Renaissance several composers from the Netherlands and Belgium (in those days these countries were both together "De Nederlanden") were important for the development of classical music: Ockeghem, Sweelinck, Dufay etc. Especially when you speak about "invention" I wouldn't oversee this period of time. And don't forget British composers like Gibbons and Byrd! The music of that era may not be most popular in this forum, but that seems to be mainly a matter of ingratitude :)
No mistake. I qualified my post with the phrase 'seems largely' - so that does NOT take away anything from any other contributing nations/nationalities. Please don't miss the point of my post - I am not discussing anything in great historical detail, merely making a general point about the predominance of western Europe in classical music.
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

rob wrote:
Roeland wrote:
rob wrote:As Jean-Seb says, there are good historical reasons why the countries of central and western Europe predominate here. 'Classical' Art-Music, with which this site concerns itself, seems largely an Italian/German/French invention, so that's where the greatest concentration of composers are found, even now!
Rob, I am afraid that you make a mistake here. Don't forget that in the late Middle Ages and (early) Renaissance several composers from the Netherlands and Belgium (in those days these countries were both together "De Nederlanden") were important for the development of classical music: Ockeghem, Sweelinck, Dufay etc. Especially when you speak about "invention" I wouldn't oversee this period of time. And don't forget British composers like Gibbons and Byrd! The music of that era may not be most popular in this forum, but that seems to be mainly a matter of ingratitude :)
No mistake. I qualified my post with the phrase 'seems largely' - so that does NOT take away anything from any other contributing nations/nationalities. Please don't miss the point of my post - I am not discussing anything in great historical detail, merely making a general point about the predominance of western Europe in classical music.
You are right, and you also mentioned the specific direction of this forum.
It is always difficult to weigh the influences of certain composers on the composers coming next to them. For me Debussy is the most important composer for the development of 20th century music, but that's probably because I am mad about his music.A remark like mine about the importance of music in De Nederlanden and Britain is always a good reminder for those staring blind on Bach Beethoven and Brahms: they would have been nowhere if there would have been no composing in the Renaissance(what would have been unthinkable of course).
arneros
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: No

Post by arneros »

"Luc BAIWIR, Paganini variations"
Is this work published?
Where can I buy it?
Thanks
R
naturlaut
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by naturlaut »

Anyone has any idea who publishes the piano works of Georges Longue (1900 - 1967)?
Also, of Jongen's piano works, who publishes those not covered by Durand (Opp. 24, 33, 40, 75, 88)? Specifically the Sonata Op. 60?
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

naturlaut wrote:Anyone has any idea who publishes the piano works of Georges Longue (1900 - 1967)?
Also, of Jongen's piano works, who publishes those not covered by Durand (Opp. 24, 33, 40, 75, 88)? Specifically the Sonata Op. 60?
Never mind, I found it by myself. For those who are interested, Longue's works are published by CeBeDeM in Brussels, http://www.cebedem.be/en/composers/l/96-lonque-georges.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

The Suite en forme de Sonate op.60 has been published by Chester
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All - Does anyone perchance have information re. purchasing the piano music by Belgian composer Lodewijk Mortelmans? There is an excellent Belgian site devoted to him, but it seems that only CDs are offered for sale. My searchings on the internet for his printed sheet music has not been successful. Thanks in advance for any help!

Frank Himpsl
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

Try these people old chap.

I have had very good service from them.

Thal

MOD: Link removed as it now points to malware site.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Many thanks, Thal -that is most helpful, and I most certainly will contact them!

All best,

Frank
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Hot off scanner.
Jongen - Sonatine.pdf
My special thanks go to pianist Ernest So (naturlaut here in PP) (http://ernestso.com, http://performnow.hk) for providing the score. I hope everyone enjoy Jongen's piano music. I would post more when I have time for scanning.

Best,
Koon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.