Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Percy Goetschius - Piano Sonata in B

Post by fredbucket »

Hello. Does anyone know if this probably little known gem has ever been recorded? I would love to hear it. I've attached a score for anyone interested. The slow movement is lovely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by WCosand »

Not my scan either, but thanks to whoever did it! Probably someone who posted it to Pianophilia!
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

I am looking for a score published by Schirmer in the 1920s:

Homer SIMMONS
Stairways (Fox-Trot)
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

WCosand wrote:Not my scan either, but thanks to whoever did it! Probably someone who posted it to Pianophilia!
Actually I scanned and posted it on the old PP. And unfortunately no...it has never been recorded to my knowledge, which is a shame as it is quite an interesting work and worthy of a good performance. Goetschius seems to be more remembered for his transcriptions rather than his original works these days.

Malcolm
kh0815

Post by kh0815 »

Anybody in Wiesbaden/Germany to get Goetschius' op.12 "Praeludium und Conzert-Fuge fuer Klavier" from ca. 1890?
-> http://retro.hebis.de/cgi-bin/make_inde ... 1&NUMBER=1
pianogirl

Post by pianogirl »

kh0815 wrote:Anybody in Wiesbaden/Germany to get Goetschius' op.12 "Praeludium und Conzert-Fuge fuer Klavier" from ca. 1890?
-> http://retro.hebis.de/cgi-bin/make_inde ... 1&NUMBER=1
Yes, that Op 12 would be an interesting piece to get my greedy little mits on as well. The Piano Sonata is op 15 so there are numerous pieces by Goetschius out there, whether or not they were ever published or even recorded. I'd love to see or hear any of them. Unfortunately there is a real dearth of information on the Internet about his original compositions.

??? If anyone in the forum could spare a few moments to record and upload their own performances of even a small part of the sonata I'd be hugely delighted. Unfortunately I don't have the skill/talent or recording equipment/programme to attempt it myself :oops:

Sheila!
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Dedé: American composer (New Orleans 1827-Paris 1903) name Desmond, or Eugene Arcade ( This is a doubt that I have).
Does somebody can post his works ( piano, orchestra or Choral), specially “Chicago” & “El Pronunciamento” (sic).

Thank you.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
WCosand
Pianophiliac

Post by WCosand »

Just uploaded 21 things by Charles Dennée to my site. Some are available at IMSLP. The rest are available at LOC as tiff one-page files.

http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... 20Charles/
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Walter:

Thank you.

Does anyone have Dedé's Piano scores?

Edmond Dédé, born in New Orleans in 1827, was one of small group of "free black" composers from the Crescent City who managed to earn a livelihood from concert hall music during the 19th century—although mostly overseas. Dédé's 1852 song Mon pauvre coeur is the oldest surviving published piece of music by a Creole of color from New Orleans. Yet at that time, the composer needed to supplement his income with work as a cigar maker. In 1857 he left for Paris, where he studied music, composed, conducted and, in 1864, married a French woman, Sylvie Leflat. Most of his career was spent in Bordeaux, where wrote around 150 dances, 6 string quartets, and almost 100 songs—virtually all of this music forgotten after Dédé's death in 1901. He only made on trip back to New Orleans, in 1893, where he performed as a violinist and was accompanied by William J. Nickerson—who was later a teacher to Jelly Roll Morton. (Another historical connection: the 1856 Chickering piano used on this recording was once played by Louis Moreau Gottschalk.)

Thanks.

ILU.
Quo melius Illac
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Ilu, you might be interested by this page, although it is in French.
http://chevalierdesaintgeorges.homestead.com/exile.html
There is a Naxos record of Dédé's music.
Jean-Séb