Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by ahinton »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
rob wrote:
thalbergmad wrote:Going to Hay on Wye on 31st, so should bring back lots of old junk. Not sure you really want me old thread back though :lol:

Most of my recent purchases are too dodgy for here, but i have got a concerto by Hugo Anson that i have scanned which is copyright 1941. If this is OK, i will post it, but please let me know what thread so you can answer all the "Nationality" arguments :shock:

Luv

Thal
I think a 'The Circuitous Pilgrimages of Thal', or some-such thread would be vastly entertaining. I will let Malc rule on this Anson fellow, but I've never heard of him so it's probably ok! Please do post all your old rubbish since then we can make fun of it! (Though please no operettas by Liszt ;) )
Wouldn't "Thal's Ramblings" be a more appropriate title Rob :D You haven't heard of Hugo Anson? If my aging memory serves me correctly, I used to play the Black Lion Dances with the school orchestra some 50 years ago by Hugo Anson, so he probably is postable (born in New Zealand 1894 died in London 1958) that is my sole knowledge of his music, and they were good pieces too. Not up to the standard of 14 year old Liszts opera féerie Don Sanche but what could I ask you :lol:
best wishes
Brian
For all that you happen to have hit the wrong Hugo here (as has been identified already), the dates you give for Anson are accurate, so only 51 of those magic 70 years have yet expired (assuming that NZ adheres to the 70-year rule), so it's probably dicey to post his work here, although, since hardly anyone's seen any of it in living memory...

Even if Thal risks extradition to NZ by posting it, I doubt that he'd be incarcerated there (except perhaps in a music library and subjected to one year's hard labour scanning more scores) and I'm not aware that they have kiwiburger joints out there anyway...

Sorry for the digression from topic (but then if the comparative merits of US burger outlets can occupy a portion of this thread, I don't feel especially gulty, I have to say...

Best,

Alistair
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Post by thalbergmad »

Perhaps our resident composer, archivist and online wit should spend less time posting on here and more time clearing the cow crap from his yard, so people don't get their wheels dirty.

Thal
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

thalbergmad wrote:Perhaps our resident composer, archivist and online wit should spend less time posting on here and more time clearing the cow crap from his yard, so people don't get their wheels dirty.
Living as I do in Australia my chances of getting my wheels dirty at the hands of our RCAOW as you say are somewhat remote. So it doesn't worry me if he posts here ...

Regards
Fred
ahinton

Post by ahinton »

thalbergmad wrote:Perhaps our resident composer, archivist and online wit should spend less time posting on here and more time clearing the cow crap from his yard, so people don't get their wheels dirty.
If and when I personally acquire such a yard and if it has evidence of bovine excrement in it, I shall naturally give due consideration to clearing it up; that said, however, devoting to such activity the tiny amount of time that I spend in posting here would likely achieve very little in that regard, methinks - and, in any case, whose wheels are we talking about here?...

Best,

Alistair
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Antheil's Sonatina fur Radio

Post by phikfy »

Hot off scanner. Though not illegible, but harsh for reading and playing from this.
Since Schirmer does no good on promoting this 'Bad Boy' music (very irresponsive when I try to contact with them for Antheil's music), I decide to scan and share with everybody here. Do enjoy this little yet charming piece.

Best,
Koon

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqmjytkklmb/Antheil - Sonatina fur Radio (1929).pdf
toyboy

Re: Antheil's Sonatina fur Radio

Post by toyboy »

phikfy wrote:Hot off scanner. Though not illegible, but harsh for reading and playing from this.
Ha, you're telling me. IS this how Schirmer actually published this?
It's fascinating to see a fascimile of an original manuscript, but hard to knw what parts to play!
phikfy
Pianophiliac

Re: Antheil's Sonatina fur Radio

Post by phikfy »

toyboy wrote:
phikfy wrote:Hot off scanner. Though not illegible, but harsh for reading and playing from this.
Ha, you're telling me. IS this how Schirmer actually published this?
It's fascinating to see a fascimile of an original manuscript, but hard to knw what parts to play!
Yes, it's how Schirmer published it. My friend, the pianist Ernest So in HK has been working on the score and will give a performance on 12th Dec. For details of the concert, please see our website below.

www.performnow.hk

Best,
Koon
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

I will post my performance on YouTube after the concert.
One question to all: can anyone make out what the last chord is? I am pretty much making up the notes over there.
naturlaut

Post by naturlaut »

I have some works of Harteveld, G. (not Wilhelm Harteveld; not sure if there is relation between the two). I tried Google but nothing turned out. Had his works been posted here? If not I'll scan. He wrote a piece dedicated to Horowitz, however it is published by Senart. I am not even sure of his nationality. Please pardon my ignorance!
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

naturlaut wrote:I will post my performance on YouTube after the concert.
One question to all: can anyone make out what the last chord is? I am pretty much making up the notes over there.
Wonderful writing, like Beethoven with ants in his pants. :ugeek:
Under a big magnifier I could recognise the following which if you check the preceding chords would tend to support my thoughts.
LH obviously F & F, that was the easy bit. Now for the right hand, I have checked it over time and time again and I think he put the finish here after originally thinking of going further so you have partially scratched out bits that have to be ignored. so as I see it the chord in the middle of the three staves is F A Eb and the chord on the top stave looks like it could be A D A if you ignore the attempt at scratching out a previous entry.
As you say it is guesswork basically but if you check the previous three bars or so then the overriding harmony confirms the majority at least of the last chord.
What are you thinking of playing here?
regards
Brian