Piano Music of North America (Canada & the USA)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by rob »

thalbergmad wrote:Going to Hay on Wye on 31st, so should bring back lots of old junk. Not sure you really want me old thread back though :lol:

Most of my recent purchases are too dodgy for here, but i have got a concerto by Hugo Anson that i have scanned which is copyright 1941. If this is OK, i will post it, but please let me know what thread so you can answer all the "Nationality" arguments :shock:

Luv

Thal
I think a 'The Circuitous Pilgrimages of Thal', or some-such thread would be vastly entertaining. I will let Malc rule on this Anson fellow, but I've never heard of him so it's probably ok! Please do post all your old rubbish since then we can make fun of it! (Though please no operettas by Liszt ;) )
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

rob wrote:
thalbergmad wrote:Going to Hay on Wye on 31st, so should bring back lots of old junk. Not sure you really want me old thread back though :lol:

Most of my recent purchases are too dodgy for here, but i have got a concerto by Hugo Anson that i have scanned which is copyright 1941. If this is OK, i will post it, but please let me know what thread so you can answer all the "Nationality" arguments :shock:

Luv

Thal
I think a 'The Circuitous Pilgrimages of Thal', or some-such thread would be vastly entertaining. I will let Malc rule on this Anson fellow, but I've never heard of him so it's probably ok! Please do post all your old rubbish since then we can make fun of it! (Though please no operettas by Liszt ;) )
Wouldn't "Thal's Ramblings" be a more appropriate title Rob :D You haven't heard of Hugo Anson? If my aging memory serves me correctly, I used to play the Black Lion Dances with the school orchestra some 50 years ago by Hugo Anson, so he probably is postable (born in New Zealand 1894 died in London 1958) that is my sole knowledge of his music, and they were good pieces too. Not up to the standard of 14 year old Liszts opera féerie Don Sanche but what could I ask you :lol:
best wishes
Brian
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:...You haven't heard of Hugo Anson? If my aging memory serves me correctly, I used to play the Black Lion Dances with the school orchestra some 50 years ago by Hugo Anson...
Ummmmmmm, The Black Lion Dances are by Hugo Cole, who used to be a music critic in London and whom I met in my Wigmore Hall days! I also played those pieces in my University Orchestra - I still have my handwritten version of the timp & percussion part upstairs!!! Mem'ries...
http://www.chesternovello.com/default.a ... _3041=9433
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

rob wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:...You haven't heard of Hugo Anson? If my aging memory serves me correctly, I used to play the Black Lion Dances with the school orchestra some 50 years ago by Hugo Anson...
Ummmmmmm, The Black Lion Dances are by Hugo Cole, who used to be a music critic in London and whom I met in my Wigmore Hall days! I also played those pieces in my University Orchestra - I still have my handwritten version of the timp & percussion part upstairs!!! Mem'ries...
http://www.chesternovello.com/default.a ... _3041=9433
You're right Rob it was Hugo Cole, brings back nice memories of scraping away on my double bass, sorry I confused him with Hugo Anson, though I do have a piece for two pianos called "The Lonely sailing ship" by Anson which may be of interest.
regards
Brian
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Antheil

Post by phikfy »

Does anyone have Antheil's Sonatina Radio? I tried order from Schirmer for a long time but have got no reply. I would like to include this in our upcoming concert dedicated to music of Americas. Thanks.
Koon
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

If I am right, Aaron Copland wrote an elemental piano course; I would appreciate if somebody post it.

Thank you.

ILU
Last edited by ilu on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quo melius Illac
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

ilu wrote:If I am right, Aaron Copland wrote an elemental piano course
I think you may be getting confused with the Adult Piano Course by Michael Aaron, which was published in the 1940's. Interestingly, that was my first piano book...

Regards
Fred
WCosand
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by WCosand »

There are a few elements of a piano course in his famous 1939 book "What to Listen For in Music." You can find the table of contents here

http://books.google.com/books?id=dsyPyc ... q=&f=false
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Fred:
Now that you mention Michael Aaron, it will be very useful to get a copy for my children pupils if possible, because now there are some other "modern" piano methods.

Walter: Thank you for the hint, I will check in the site.

Thank you.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

Paddys wrote:Here is Jazz Nocturne by Dana Suesse, a pupil of Siloti and Nadia Boulanger.

For biographical information, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Suesse

And you can watch the lovely Dana here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxuWfAJvtCg

Cheers,

P.
Are there any other pieces by this composer available in scans, or to buy?
Many thanks.