School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by rob »

fredbucket wrote:
thalbergmad wrote:Gaelic is a lovely language and it is interesting to hear it being spoken.
...and sung.
thalbergmad wrote:As a part time Munroist, i found it essential to learn a little.
Off topic I know, but see if you can translate this :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsewvO75Mgw

Regards
Fred
This sounds Irish rather than Scottish Gaelic to me.
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

thalbergmad wrote:Tis only a wee bit of Tartan.
Although I can't tell from which Clan
Scotsmen wear it all over their bodies
And look more like a girl than a man
Hahahahaha, hahahahaha
I find it quite funny, this rime of yours.
But there's more in it than just some blabla:
those clothes are often a serious source

of deeper thoughts about masculine pride.
Ah... when I'd have in those northern high lands
an excellent bottle of whisky to hide
I'd rather wear a kilt than a tight pair of pants.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

fredbucket wrote: Off topic I know, but see if you can translate this :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsewvO75Mgw

Regards
Fred
Wonderful stuff, Fred - Alex, Chloë, Lisa, Lynn and
Máiréad are just so fit, in more ways than one!!!

Níl Sé'n Lá = It's Not Yet Day
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Piano Music of North America (Canada and the USA)

Post by quercus »

I haven't seen any Arthur Schutt on the site yet. 1902-1965. He's known for a handful of difficult novelty piano pieces written in the 20s, along the lines of Zez Confrey, Billy Mayerl, etc. I'm uploading "Bluin' the Black Keys" and "Teasin' the Ivories".

If anyone can contribute any others I'd appreciate it - they seem to be rather hard to find. There are probably others, but the ones I've heard of are:

Piano Puzzle
Bringup Breakdown
Delirium
Rambling in Rhythm
The Ghost of the Piano
Bitter Sweets
Syncopatin' the Scales

Thanks
Bill
Schutt - Bluin The Black Keys.pdf
Schutt-TeasinTheIvories.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Arthur Schutt scores as requested by Bill (quercus) on the Piano Music Of North America Thread.

Bill - here are the scores of Arthur Schutt which were published in the US in the early 20s. Two pieces you mentioned (his best, of course) i.e. "Piano Puzzle" and "Bring Up Breakdown" I am not posting as these were transcribed in recent years by a Mr. Andrew Fielding. They were never published during Arthur Schutt's lifetime. I would encourage you to contact Mr. Fielding personally for these particular scores. I do not have his contact information, except that he lives in Canada, and would be most happy to help you out. A quick web search would doubtless locate him.

Arthur Schutt was one of the greatest US popular pianists of the 1920s. He played with the Paul Specht orchestra for years, and made piano solo recordings for Okeh and (during his UK visit when "Teasing The Ivories" was published) English Regal. The published scores scarcely reflect the abilities of this great pianist. Two of them "Ghost Of The PIano" and "Delirium" are scanned from multi-generational photocopies, hence sorry for the quality on these.

Enjoy :D

Frank
Schutt - Bluin' The Blacks - Color Cover with Photo.jpg
Schutt - Bitter Sweets.pdf
Schutt - Bitter Sweets - Color Cover Photo.jpg
Schutt - Delirium.pdf
Schutt - Ghost Of The Piano.pdf
Schutt - Rambling In Rhythm.pdf
Schutt - Syncopating The Scales.pdf
Schutt - Obit.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by quercus »

Many thanks Frank!

I know someone else who's been looking for the Schutt too, and I'm sure she'll be excited to have them.

Bill
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All - Roy Bargy was one of the most talented of the novelty ragtime composer/pianists of the early 1920s. He made many piano roll recordings, including all of his ragtime compositions. His writing is much more pianistic than other composers in this genre (with the notable exclusion of Billy Mayerl, of course!) Two of his ragtime compositions were never published in sheet music form, but only appeared on piano rolls. These include the titles "Omeomy" and "Ditto." Of these two, a manuscript of "Ditto" was sent in to the Library of Congress for copyright purposes at least, but "Omeomy" was never even copyrighted. In my opinion "Omeomy" is Roy Bargy's finest effort. It is a wonderfully catchy melody; extremely pianistic and a good deal of fun to play. I transcribed the piano roll of this piece years ago and it was one of the few of my transcriptions which I further notated in Encore.

Attached is "Omeomy" by Roy Bargy, in its original key of F# major (as on the piano roll), and also transcribed to F major, which makes the score a bit easier to read (yet not much easier to play). Enjoy!!! :mrgreen:

Frank
Bargy- Omeomy - F# Major Original.pdf
Bargy- Omeomy - F Major Transposition.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Charley Straight was another novelty ragtime legend who made many piano rolls, including his own compositions. Of these original pieces, most were never published in sheet music form and the piano rolls are all that exist today.

Here is a sampling of one of his finest and happiest works, entitled "Mow 'Em Down." This is another piano roll rag which I transcribed and later notated in Encore. I'm posting it in the original key of Db major (as on the roll), and transposed to C major as well. Happy playing!

Frank :D
Straight - Mow 'Em Down - Original Db Major.pdf
Straight - Mow 'Em Down - Transposed to C Major.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Roy Bargy composed a number of brilliant and highly pianistic novelty rags. They are "must haves" for anyone interested in syncopated piano solos and/or ragtime or novelty ragtime in general. Here are two folios published in the UK which cover 8 of his pieces.

Frank
Bargy - Piano Syncopations Vol 1 Color Cover.jpg
Bargy - Piano Syncopations Vol 1.pdf
Bargy - Piano Syncopations Vol 2 Color Cover.jpg
Bargy - Piano Syncopations Vol 2.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

More Roy Bargy - two pieces that are much less known, but superb nonetheless. These were issued by a different publisher and apparently received very limited circulation. The score of "Get Lucky" is not good, but in over 50 years I have not yet been able to upgrade it with an original or even better photocopy!

Frank
Bargy- Feedin' The Kitty.pdf
Bargy- Get Lucky.pdf