School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Like.

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Luigi,
I'm glad you're enjoying the scores posted... there are many more to come. Thank you for posting the rare score for "Mary Jane Rag," which if I remember correctly was published in New Orleans. I really like the second strain with its dissonant harmonies; very interesting piece. On "Barrel House Rag" I always thought it was funny that they printed Fate Marable's name as "Fate Marble!" The first theme also has a sound somewhat similar to parts of "Tiger Rag." The one Fate Marable Okeh record is a real mystery....I can fully understand the recording of "Frankie and Johnny", but why would they work up a dance arrangement of a novelty rag by a white composer for the flip side? :?: :?: I have heard rumors that "Pianoflage" was actually composed by a Black pianist, but have absolutely no evidence to support that, just hearsay. Charley Straight was the true composer of "Knice and Knifty" and "Ruffenreddy;" and I do not know why Bargy's name was included on the sheet music (published several years after the rolls were released). There are so many loose ends in ragtime history!!
All Best,
Frank :D
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Does any one have piano sheetmusic by Reginald King? I really want it. Anyone please post?

Thanks and best regards,
Koon
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Koon,

I will check my files today for Reginald King, but offhand I don't think I have anything by him...the name doesn't seem to ring a bell.

Frank
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Re: School of Syncopation - Jazz, Stride, Novelties & the Li

Post by fhimpsl »

Frank E. Banta was a prolific recording artist from the late teens and through the 1920s. His best recordings are those done for Victor Records and Ampico piano rolls, as they best show his mature novelty style. Banta's father (Frank P. Banta) was a recording pioneer, playing accompaniments to banjo and vocal recordings at the turn of the century. Banta wrote several novelty piano solos which are attached....enjoy!

Frank
Banta-McHugh - Dorothy.pdf
Banta - How-Wah-Ya.pdf
Banta - Laurette.pdf
Banta - Prudy.pdf
Banta - Razz-Berries.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Henry W. Lange was a prolific piano roll artist (like Frank Banta), and recorded a few 78rpm sides for Okeh Records. He also composed a number of novelty piano solos, which are attached.

Frank
Lange - Cho-Piano.pdf
Lange - Classicana Suite.pdf
Lange - Page Mr. Pianist.pdf
Lange - Symphonola.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

HI Frank,
thanks so much for these great uploads! Especially for the Banta pieces, since I only had two of them, but the rest was new to me: I didn't even know that "Dorothy" was published.
I see you haven't upload "Upright And Grand" yet, so I'm posting it here, together with the Banta recordings of "Dorothy" and Upright (the one with drums by David Grupp, not the one with the Ambassadors).
I'd also like to add one piece by Roy Bargy that I don't think was posted before, "Sweet And Tender". I love the trio of this piece :D
I'm quite concerned that "Rufenreddy" and "Knice And Knifty" are rightly attributed to Charley Straight only, since he recorded them on piano rolls before he ever met Bargy!
Anyway, just to add confusion, in an interview with Roy Bargy he attributes to himself the two pieces and I really hate that, especially since they sound so clearly in the style of Straight in all respects!!! And I'm a very big fan of Charley Straight!!
With my next message I'll post the article on Roy Bargy from Rag-Times and some nice pieces by Charley Straight. Your transcriptions of the Straight piano rolls are pure gold!!!
BTW I heard the story of Dewey's "Chocolate Spoon Rag" being almost identical to "Pianoflage". An LP by Tom Shea had liner notes about this interesting fact; I must find it back.
Anyway in the article I will post Roy Bargy talks about him playing the numbers of those black ragtimers in his virtuoso style. I imagine he must have learned quite a bit from those guys!
Best RAGards
Luigi
Last edited by gigiranalli on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

Here I post the article about Roy Bargy. I don't actually think he was always sincere in his recollections, but there are extremely interesting information about him, Charley Straight (who gave titles to the Bargy pieces!) and several other pianists.
Bargy was a fantastic pianist and composer! If there's enough interest I can upload some of his recordings.
Here I'm instead posting a duet of Charley Straight and his protege Roy Bargy in a band recording (of the Benson Orchestra of Chicago) of "Ten Little Fingers And Ten Little Toes". Although I don't know for sure, I strongly believe that the main parts in the duet, the upper parts, were played by Charley Straight, since that sounds quite meticolously played like other Straight recordings, not to mention that the music of this piano suet, that has little to do with "Ten Little Fingers", do sound a lot like a typical Charley Straight ragtime strain. That's the kind of rag strain that you can't forget: it keeps playing in your head after you've listened to it once.
Straight was one of the greatest artist in this music genre!!!
I don't write much more today, because I'm terribly tired, but this won't keep me from posting a bunch of rags by Charley Straight ;)
Best RAGards
Luigi
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

:? ...I was just forgetting the article on Roy Bargy...
Here it is :)
Luigi
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

No doubt Frank and Luigi will know of this chap - Joseph L "Joe" Sanders (1896-1965) American Jazz pianist, singer and bandleader. Lived and worked primarily in the Kansas City area and Mid-west. The 1940's saw him working for Hollywood, and during the 1950' was a vocalist for the Kansas City Opera. Fuller biography information can be found on Wikipedia.

I've posted his album of four improvisations [thank you Mr P].

Malcolm
Sanders J - Four Improvisations.pdf
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

mballan wrote:No doubt Frank and Luigi will know of this chap - Joseph L "Joe" Sanders (1896-1965) American Jazz pianist, singer and bandleader. Lived and worked primarily in the Kansas City area and Mid-west. The 1940's saw him working for Hollywood, and during the 1950' was a vocalist for the Kansas City Opera. Fuller biography information can be found on Wikipedia.

I've posted his album of four improvisations [thank you Mr P].

Malcolm
Dear Malcolm,
WOW! Thanks for this great score! I had a photocopy of "Southology", but not the other pieces included in this folio!!
I'm very fond of the Coon-Sanders orchestra and I like Sanders as a pianist!
I'll soon upload that "Joe Davis' Piano Modes" folio featuring an original arrangement by Joe Sanders.
Best RAGards
Luigi